Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Which Visa should I go for?

Hi all,

I am currently engaged to my Thai girlfriend who has visited the UK once on a standard 6 month tourist visa. We plan to marry next year and then settle in the UK. However, one thing she has made very clear is that she does not want to be apart from me once we marry and she wants to marry in Thailand. All of which is fine with me but this means that applying for a standard Resident Visa while being apart is out of the question.

So my confusion at the moment is which would be the best route for me, I have considered the following:
    1. Apply for Family Visa so she can enter UK to live with me.
    2. Get married in Thailand during this period
    3. Apply for/switch to resident visa (apply for extended leave)

However, there is also the Marriage Visa, but since we plan to marry in Thailand, not sure if this is suitable...?

Anyhoo, your help and advise on this matter is much appreciated...

There is only one way to do this that I can think where you won't be apart but you would need to live in Thailand for the length of time it takes for her to get the Settlement visa. Typically three months nowadays.

Get married in Thailand, apply for the Settlement visa and you would have to wait until the visa is granted before traveling back to the UK with her.

My wife and I were very fortunate by comparison with the time Settlement visas take today. She left for Thailand in the middle of Feb 2016 with all of the documents for her Settlement visa. Her TB test was the following day in Bangkok. Her appointment at VFS was the following day and she stayed with her cousin and his wife in Bangkok for 15 days, picked up her visa and flew back. How times have changed.

I have no doubt that others will chip in if they have any better ideas.

Thanks for your reply rasg,

However, staying in Thailand for 3 months is not an option either as my boss would have a fit if I asked for that much time off.

Another option I am considering, is to apply for fiancee visa, get married in UK so thus switch to settlement visa and then return to Thailand to have Buddhist ceremony for her.

Sorry for double post, couldn't find an edit button...

I've been reading this thread:
    http://thailand-uk.com/forums/showth...the-right-path

Which has similar questions to mine, so I understand there is no real need to start a similar conversation in this thread too.

After reading that thread, another option which has occurred to me is to marry in Thailand at Amphur, so get legal documents sorted. Then apply for spouse visa, which would mean some time apart as I would have to return to UK during this period... Once approved, return to Thailand and have a Buddhist ceremony to please the misses, then return together to UK and shortly after apply FLR(M) so she can start working ect.

Quote Originally Posted by BabylonCome View Post
    Sorry for double post, couldn't find an edit button...

I've been reading this thread:
    http://thailand-uk.com/forums/showth...the-right-path

Which has similar questions to mine, so I understand there is no real need to start a similar conversation in this thread too.

After reading that thread, another option which has occurred to me is to marry in Thailand at Amphur, so get legal documents sorted. Then apply for spouse visa, which would mean some time apart as I would have to return to UK during this period... Once approved, return to Thailand and have a Buddhist ceremony to please the misses, then return together to UK and shortly after apply FLR(M) so she can start working ect.
    Similar to what we did but it won’t allow you to be together while the visa is going through. You will still be apart while the visa is being processed. Back in 2016 a settlement visa took around two weeks. Now it's three months.

The only difference with this option is that you won't be married while you're apart. It will fulfill your girlfriend's requirements in the sense that you won't be apart after you marry. The downside is that it will cost you a lot more money.

By marrying in Thailand your first visa (Settlement) lasts for 33 month (£1,523 + £600 NHS surcharge), then FLR 30 months (£1,033 plus £500 NHS surcharge), then ILR (£2,389).

If you marry in the UK the first (Settlement) visa lasts for six months (£1,523 + £500 NHS surcharge), then FLR 30 months (£1,033 plus £500 NHS surcharge), FLR 30 months (£1,033 plus £500 NHS surcharge) and then ILR (£2,389).

They are all going up to these prices next month and there is a proposal to double the NHS surcharge. Factor in a TB test, language tests and the LITUK test.

By marrying in Thailand it will save you over £1500. Not sure how important that is to you.

Thanks for info..

Another question to which I cannot see the answer on the .gov website... With settlement visa or extension of (FLR), how many times can she leave and return to UK on that visa. We have been talking about her returning to Thailand at least once a year for a few weeks but maybe several times a year depending on funds?

There is an average time worked out per year over the duration if she goes the citizenship route IE over 5 years I think now, used to be 3 years and something like less than 90 days in the last year before applying for citizenship... Im sure someone with more up to date information will correct or clarify, Mrs was here around a month on settlement before we came back to TH for a few months, you need to check it especially the last year... but for a few weeks a couple of times a year should be no problem as far as I know...
    bangkok mags