Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Stourport on Severn + Suan Gluay, BanPong + Saphan Sung, BKK
    Post Thanks / Like

According to the Nation
    The last Buddhist family in a village of this southern border province was attacked by Muslim insurgents Sunday, killing the mother and severely injuring the daughter.

The attack against the family in Moo 7 village of Tambon Laloh of Ruesoh district happened at 1:20 pm.

Police said the mother Ladda Sutthani, 72, owner of a clothes shop, was fatally shot and her daughter, Darunee Duangkaew, 39, was severely injured and sent to the provincial hospital.

Ladda, who was shot at her head and neck, died before she was sent to the hospital.

Police said the two were sitting inside the shop with two other relatives and the insurgents arrived on two motorcycles. They initially pretended to buy clothes but opened fire at the mother and daughter while the two relatives managed to flee.

The shop was attacked with a bomb two years ago, injuring Ladda. Darunee's husband was killed about a year ago.

Ladda and Darunee's family is the last Buddhist family in the village.

The Nation

Post Thanks / Like

Forum Dinosaur ไดโนเสาร์ KhunIanB-UK's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sickening!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed. This section of the forum might not be the place for any kind of debate about Islam and/or the Islamic terrorism in the South of Thailand, but I do wonder what, if anything, the international Muslim community will do in response to this. Unfortunately, I suspect it will be nothing at all.

I mean, even in the UK, the Muslim community seems to ignore Muslim violence. I remember when the Bishop of Rochester tried to raise the issue of no-go areas for non-Mulsims in England and had to have police protection after getting death threats in response. (There's a link here). Where was the Muslim outrage at Muslim violence?

I'm sure IanB or someone will tell me that those issuing threats and killing 72 year old Buddhists do not represent the majority of Muslims. And I'm sure that's right. But I must ask what the majority of Muslims are doing about Islamic violence. We've seen many Muslim protests in the UK and around the world, but I've not seen any Muslim protests against Muslim extremists.

Of course those carrying out violence are responsible for their own karma. In the meantime, I feel for the members of this family and all the victims, both Muslim and Buddhist, of the troubles in the South. And wish that those Muslims who are not violent and who do not support violence would publicly say something to their co-religionists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Marcus:
    ... Of course those carrying out violence are responsible for their own karma. In the meantime, I feel for the members of this family and all the victims, both Muslim and Buddhist, of the troubles in the South. And wish that those Muslims who are not violent and who do not support violence would publicly say something to their co-religionists.
    I agree completely Marcus. Sadly, today 60 more are injured in Thailand due to a bomb blast which is reported to have been planted by Muslim extremists.

Bomb blasts injure 60 in Thailand
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Post Thanks / Like

Lt Gen Surachai Suebsuk, commander of the state police force has said there were two bombs; one in a car outside the district government office and another on a motorcycle which went off outside a teashop.
    One woman died later in hospital of her injuries and 70 people were injured, many with serious injuries.
    More than 3,300 have died since 2004 in these attacks.
    For those not knowing the history of this conflict Thailand anexed the three far southern provinces of Narathiwat, Yala and Pattani in 1902 and the people of this region speak a Malay dialect rather than Thai. They are ethically Malay sultanate. They are muslim by faith, as are the people of Malaya itself.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

but I've not seen any Muslim protests against Muslim extremists.
    I have.
    Although I didnt see many anti vivisection supporters protesting against the bombs sent to the Huntington research labs and the family homes of the employees.
    So by your argument Marcus is anyone who is against testing on animals a supporter of terrorists ?
    I really think you ought to start talking to some Muslims but somehow I think you wont.
    Honour good men, be courteous to all men, bow down to none.

Post Thanks / Like

But I must ask what the majority of Muslims are doing about Islamic violence.
    ....not getting involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Roberrrt:
    but I've not seen any Muslim protests against Muslim extremists.
    I have.
    That's wonderful....could you provide some details? I'd be very interested in knowing more.

As for the animal rights thing, you'll find that all of the mainstream organisations issued (and continue to issue) statements condemning violence in pursuit of animal rights.

But surely you are not saying that Muslim majority silence in the face of daily worlwide Muslim violence is okay because animal rights campaigners might once have been silent in the face of a few incidents? Two wrongs don't make a right you know.

Imagine if groups of Buddhists worldwide started engaging in terrorist attacks, roadside beheadings, death-threats, and all the rest - wouldn't you call upon mainstream Buddhist leaders to condemn the violence? Wouldn't you expect non-violent Buddhists to demand an end to the terrorism of their co-religionists? Of course you would. So why should it be any different for Muslims?

As for talking to Muslims.....of course I have. I lived in Istanbul from 1998 to 1999 and talked to hundreds. I've also worked with Muslims in the UK and in Thailand. Do I ask them what they make of those who commit terrorism in the name of their religion? No, not often. Hardly polite conversation. But sometimes, rarely, yes I do.

So by your argument Marcus is anyone who is against testing on animals a supporter of terrorists ?
    If you think that that is my argument, or even the logical outcome of my argument, then you really must go back and read my post again.

Post Thanks / Like

Does any one know why Thailand annexed these 3 provincies in 1902 when they speak Malay rather than Thai, are muslims rather than Buddhists?
    Are there any strategic reasons or financial reasons, as with the dispute with Cambodia, over the area around the temple and down the coast line due to large oil deposits in the coastal waters.

I would be pleased to know the reasons.

Post Thanks / Like

Marcus,

I mean, even in the UK, the Muslim community seems to ignore Muslim violence.
    Would you like to expand on this opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by DavidJohn:
    Does any one know why Thailand annexed these 3 provincies in 1902 when they speak Malay rather than Thai, are muslims rather than Buddhists?
    Are there any strategic reasons or financial reasons, as with the dispute with Cambodia, over the area around the temple and down the coast line due to large oil deposits in the coastal waters.

I would be pleased to know the reasons.
    Good question. It was my understanding that all of the peninsular malay provinces were once affiliated to Thailand. But how Thailand came to control just three is an interesting story. According to Wikipedia:
    The Anglo-Siamese Treaty of 1909 or Bangkok Treaty of 1909 was a treaty between the United Kingdom and Thailand signed on March 10, 1909 in Bangkok.[1]

The agreement, in which the Malays were not represented, effectively dissected the northern Malay states into two parts. The area around modern Pattani (Malay:Patani), Narathiwat (Malay:Menara), Songkhla (Malay:Singgora), Satun (Malay:Setul) and Yala (Malay:Jala) remained under Thai control, while Thailand relinquished its claims to sovereignty over Kedah, Kelantan, Perlis and Terengganu which remained within the British sphere of influence as protectorates. These four states, along with Johor later became known as the Unfederated Malay States.

Originally, Setul and Perlis were part of the Malay Sultanate of Kedah but only Setul remained with Thailand. Patani, Menara, Singgora and Jala were historically ruled by the Malay Sultanate of Patani.

The British logic for sanctioning the continued Thai occupation of the remaining northern half of the Malaya was the perceived value of Thailand as a friendly buffer against the French in Indochina.

Previously in 1826, both signees of the 1909 treaty agreed to the Burney Treaty. The Burney Treaty stated that Kedah, Kelantan, Perlis and Terengganu were Thai provinces while Penang and Province Wellesly belonged to the British while Thailand would not interfere with British trade in Kelantan and Terengganu.

This agreement has had a long lasting effect on both Thailand and Federation of Malaysia. The border between them was mainly drawn by this treaty. Moreover, to some extent, Pattani separatist movement is due to Pattani's refusal to recognize Thai domination over it and ultimately the deal made between the United Kingdom and Thailand.
    So . . . . its our fault . . . !

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Ian for this insight.
    Again we see the actions of the past coming back to bite...in this case not our butt but Thailands. However, we must realise that we were only one half of the agreement and Thailand or rather Siam eagerly grabbed what was on offer.
    I also see the reasons of the past with the dispute between France and GB it was at the time a good deal with the circumstances of Empire upon us at the time.

If there is no financial gain in this present age and no tactical gain and it seems these 3 states are a drain on Thailands resources I wonder why Thailand still hangs on.

Post Thanks / Like

Marcus,
    There were marches against terrorism by the Muslim community after the London bombings.
    There was also one of the largest public demonstrations seen in London against the Iraq war - that was incapable of changing the policy of a democratically elected govt. So do you think that the Islamic terrorists would be stopped if a majority of muslims declared their opposition ?
    If you dont understand the point I made about the anti vivisectionists try this - Were the deaths in Northern Ireland due to the population of NI not being vocal enough in their condemnation of terrorism ?

You say talking about these issues with Muslims isnt polite conversation - of course it isnt - so what ! The fact is Marcus you just dont like Muslims and here, as in previous posts, you cant resist connecting all Muslims with the actions of mindless thugs.
    Certainly isnt an enlightened approach is it ?

I'm rather disappointed with you young man.

Post Thanks / Like

from Marcus I mean, even in the UK, the Muslim community seems to ignore Muslim violence. I remember when the Bishop of Rochester tried to raise the issue of no-go areas for non-Mulsims in England and had to have police protection after getting death threats in response
    I remember that the Bishop's own church criticised him for his statements as unhelpful and damaging.
    What he said was undoubtably true as I have heardof no-go areas in Birmingham, Aston, London Road, a cul de sac where the white populace left, all but one elderly man, who had lived there since his birth. He was hounded out by the muslim new comers even putting lighted paper and dog s**t through his letter box. He vowed he would not give in but age and infirmity finaly won and he left the street to the muslim community.

Post Thanks / Like

Were the deaths in Northern Ireland due to the population of NI not being vocal enough in their condemnation of terrorism ?
    Roberrt, thats a rrealy good point. Unanswerable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by IanB:
    ... Roberrt, thats a rrealy good point. Unanswerable.
    What point?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the support Ian. I'm pleased someone can understand plain English.
    Do you think that the Muslim population are responsible for these outrages Tobias ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

... Do you think that the Muslim population are responsible for these outrages Tobias ?
    Not for one second Roberrrt, I have the pleasure of having several muslim friends and they are amongst some of the nicest, generous and considerate people I know. They are genuinely decent folk, as the vast majority of muslims are, who play a full part in British (or American) life.

... and yes, we have discussed the issues of terrorism after the London bombings - and several times since. One of the chaps in particular expressed real anger and complete disbelief that someone who professes to be a muslim could carry out such cowardly atrocities in the name of Allah. He also said he would have no hesitation in reporting any suspicion he had of anyone being somehow involved in any similar effort.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like