Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Stourport on Severn + Suan Gluay, BanPong + Saphan Sung, BKK
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife, Sumol, received her certificate of naturalisation on Thursday 16th October and today, Saturday, completed The Electoral Commission's Electoral Register Form and is now awaiting eagerly her right to vote in all elections, European Parliamentary, Local Government and National Goverment.
    She has already been talking to Councillor Alwyn Davies, Chairman of Worcestershire County Council and Stephen Williams, Chairman of our local Wyre Forest District Council.
    I think there will be no holding her back now!
    Her mother is very active in politics back in Ban Pong so it must run in the family.
    We have different political views from each other here in the UK so things will be getting a little hot here in Worcestershire.
    Still I am pleased she has settled into British life so readily and now taking a full part in British life.
    Sumol has a full time job in Birmingham, as a computer programmer and has a market stall in Kidderminster either selling jewelry or ladies clothes and enjoys Sundays touring and going out around Britain. She loves gardening and B-B-Qs in our garden for my sisters and brother and their families. Never a dull moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats from us, have you got the British Passport yet?
    dont judge me by my past, I dont live there anymore.

David & Aree

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like just a question of time before it is Cllr Sumol! And why not! All British Citizens are entitled to stand for election!

David, have you yet tried to explain the d'Honte rule to her, the way seats to the European Parliament are allocated after the votes are counted? More detail on this webpage.

Glad to hear that Sumol moving to the UK has worked out so well.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Quote from John:
    David, have you yet tried to explain the d'Honte rule to her, the way seats to the European Parliament are allocated after the votes are counted? More detail on this webpage.

As usual the europeans make every thing more difficult than it need be and voting in the European Parliamentary elections is a very good example.
    I have found it impossible to explain this rule and hard to get my head around it myself.

John thank you for your comment glad Sumol has settled in well, Yes she is totally British let us know if you ever visit Stourport we would love to meet up with you and wife and daughter. Last time we got together was at Wing Yip, seems ages ago and was! about three years!!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats from us, have you got the British Passport yet?

David & Aree.
    We only received the certificate on 16th October so we have not as yet. We are considering applying now but we are off to Thailand on 5th December and even though it seems a long way off Sumol would have to undergo an interview, as all new applicants for a British Passport have to. We are thinking if there is a long queue for interviews and granting of Passports we could be out of time to get her Thai passport back in time for the flight. Therefore we are considering waiting until we return in January 2009.
    What do others think?

Post Thanks / Like

As usual the europeans make every thing more difficult than it need be and voting in the European Parliamentary elections is a very good example.
    I have found it impossible to explain this rule and hard to get my head around it myself.
    I thought that when I first heard of the method of seat allocation. Now, having studied it, I think it makes total sense, and indeed is a fair method of seat allocation in a multi-member constituency. Looking at this webpage it is easy to ascertain that the 4 biggest parties got the following votes :-

Con 392,937
    Lab 336,613
    UKIP 251,366
    LibDems 197,479

-: and we need to allocate a total of 7 seats. Let's just dwell on the allocation of the 4th seat. At that point all of Con, Lab and UKIP have already got one seat each, and remember that we divide the number of votes cast by (1+ the no. of seats already allocated). So we are comparing :-

Con 196468.5
    Lab 168306.5
    UKIP 125683
    LibDems 197479

-: and hence that 4th seat goes to the LibDems.

Moving on to look at the allocation of the 7th and last seat, Cons and Lab already have 2 seats each and UKIP and LibDems 1 each, hence we are looking at :-

Con 130979 (392,937 /3)
    Lab 112204.33 (336,613 /3)
    UKIP 125683 (251,366 /2)
    LibDems 98739.5 (197,479 /2)

-: and thus that 7th and final seat goes to Con.

(Yes there were more than 4 parties on the ballot paper, such as Greens, but they did not get close to the 130979 votes that took the 7th seat for the Tories.)

All this means is that in a proportional representation system like that used in the UK, every vote does count!

The d'Honte system is used to allocate seats in English, Scotland and Wales. A different system is used in Northern Ireland. Don't ask me why, or how it works.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

We are thinking if there is a long queue for interviews and granting of Passports we could be out of time to get her Thai passport back in time for the flight. Therefore we are considering waiting until we return in January 2009.
    I think you should phone the passport service and ask them how long it is likely to take. Phone the 24-hour Passport Adviceline 0300 222 0000. According to their website postal applications are currently taking 3 weeks, but it says that applications for a first adult passport do entail an interview, so it is bound to be longer than that.

Lots more on the IPS website ..... www.ips.gov.uk .

Where would she want to go for her interview? Birmingham? Warwick? Cheltenham?
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Where would she want to go for her interview? Birmingham? Warwick? Cheltenham?
    John, Sumol works in Birmingham, at Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) Bristol Road so she is very conversant with Birmingham so she would elect to attend an interview in Birmingham.

We will check out the Passport Advice line on Monday. Thank you for the number.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey John that is a fantastic explanation of the European proportional representation system. It now becomes very clear.
    However it does mean that a candidate could have higher amount of votes yet not get elected because his party already has seats alocated.

Now to explain it to Sumol!!!