Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear All

I have not posted here for quite a long time indeed. I left Thailand in 2003, after six years in Bangkok, and moved to Switzerland. However, one legacy of my time there is my Dad's wife. He met her (Tanida)in Thailand whilst visiting me, fell in love, got married and they moved to Brighton in 2004.

Tanida and my father lived happily in Brighton until the end of 2006. She has two daughters, who are now nine and ten years old, and they settled well into a good UK school, mastered English and enjoyed life. However, they always knew Thailand was where they were headed. They sold up their home and moved to Thailand in January 2007. He was very happy to have finally retired, at 65, and to be in a warm country to spend his happy, restful, retirement days. The girls went to a good Thai school near Bangkok and were once again happy.

However, things do not always work out how one wants and my father had been feeling sick for much of the last few months. The sick feeling was with him since he moved there but he was not not really able to figure out why. He came back to the UK at the start of November, leaving his wife there, to have some tests. He thought it was just a short trip. However, the tests showed he has stomach cancer. He had an operation on Monday this week, in Brighton, to remove the stomach. However, they opened him up and saw that the cancer was just too far gone. The result of which is that he has between six months and a year to live. Chemotherapy is not really an option at this advanced stage. As is easily imagined, this has rocked our whole family and leaves us with some very tough decisions to make.

My brother has a house near Leicester. It seems that my dad wants to go there to spend what time he has remaining. His wife is in the UK now and it seems she will bring her two daughters (who are nine and ten) to the UK to attend school again, at least for the time period that he has left. She would rather stay in Brighton where she has some form of support network. She is very alone in rural Leicester where my brother lives and I am trying to get contact with some Thais in the area. This would hopefully allow her to feel less lost and my father would not have to worry about loneliness for her. Although Tanida would rather stay in Brighton, they have no house, no furniture and my father will need constant care before too long. My brother lives alone and has a big enough house. My mom and my dad are still friends and she lives just 30 minutes away. It seems that the decision is made but it will be very hard for Tanida who will miss all Thai company.

I met up with GordonTG (an old friend from time in Bangkok) and people from this forum once not too far from there and were quite a few Thai's who had come from not too far away. Do any of you know of any ideas or friends who are Thai in this area? Tanida is a lovely, unassuming girl. She is 39 and mature and understated. She is liked by all who meet her.

I realise this is a rather a sad story and but I hope there is someone who has some insight into the Thai community in this area.

Best wishes

Simon

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Dear All

I have not posted here for quite a long time indeed. I left Thailand in 2003, after six years in Bangkok, and moved to Switzerland. However, one legacy of my time there is my Dad's wife. He met her (Tanida)in Thailand whilst visiting me, fell in love, got married and they moved to Brighton in 2004.

Tanida and my father lived happily in Brighton until the end of 2006. She has two daughters, who are now nine and ten years old, and they settled well into a good UK school, mastered English and enjoyed life. However, they always knew Thailand was where they were headed. They sold up their home and moved to Thailand in January 2007. He was very happy to have finally retired, at 65, and to be in a warm country to spend his happy, restful, retirement days. The girls went to a good Thai school near Bangkok and were once again happy.

However, things do not always work out how one wants and my father had been feeling sick for much of the last few months. The sick feeling was with him since he moved there but he was not not really able to figure out why. He came back to the UK at the start of November, leaving his wife there, to have some tests. He thought it was just a short trip. However, the tests showed he has stomach cancer. He had an operation on Monday this week, in Brighton, to remove the stomach. However, they opened him up and saw that the cancer was just too far gone. The result of which is that he has between six months and a year to live. Chemotherapy is not really an option at this advanced stage. As is easily imagined, this has rocked our whole family and leaves us with some very tough decisions to make.

My brother has a house near Leicester. It seems that my dad wants to go there to spend what time he has remaining. His wife is in the UK now and it seems she will bring her two daughters (who are nine and ten) to the UK to attend school again, at least for the time period that he has left. She would rather stay in Brighton where she has some form of support network. She is very alone in rural Leicester where my brother lives and I am trying to get contact with some Thais in the area. This would hopefully allow her to feel less lost and my father would not have to worry about loneliness for her. Although Tanida would rather stay in Brighton, they have no house, no furniture and my father will need constant care before too long. My brother lives alone and has a big enough house. My mom and my dad are still friends and she lives just 30 minutes away. It seems that the decision is made but it will be very hard for Tanida who will miss all Thai company.

I met up with GordonTG (an old friend from time in Bangkok) and people from this forum once not too far from there and were quite a few Thai's who had come from not too far away. Do any of you know of any ideas or friends who are Thai in this area? Tanida is a lovely, unassuming girl. She is 39 and mature and understated. She is liked by all who meet her.

I realise this is a rather a sad story and but I hope there is someone who has some insight into the Thai community in this area.

Best wishes

Simon

Post Thanks / Like

Sad tale Simon.

Here's a non-exhaustive list of members in the area
    Andy muay thai-loughborough and knowledge of regular meeting of a group of 15-20 thai women
    Guava's sister-Nottingham
    Doggsy-Hucknall
    Aor&Ian-Hucknall(?)
    Gerry W-Mountsorrel
    Ann-Leicester(?)
    Rattikorn-Leicester
    Fon&Spez-Leicester

If they don't respond to this thread perhaps you could do a search and PM them. Certainly there seem to be a number of active thais around who might provide some sort of support network.

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Simon, I've pm'd you

Post Thanks / Like

Simon,

Sorry to hear your news, but FYI there is also quite a Thai community just to the south in Coventry, as well as Thai food and goods shops.

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all your help guys.

Unfortunately, I am now travelling now for a few days. There is nothing like bad timing. I have forwarded these to my mom who will keep passing these on to Tanida. I will be in Leicester from 2 January for a while and do my best to introduce Tanida to some people during that time.

I called Tanida this morning and gave her Rattikorn's number. She was very happy at the prospect of knowing someone in the area. Thank you also to John for your kind PM. I have replied.

Rolyshark - we met each other a few year's back. My best guess of the year would be 2003. I came just once with GordieTG to a 'get-together' and we played pétanque afterwards. Thank you for your swift reply.

It is wonderful to see a community spirit in the area and through this group on a whole.

Simon