Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Coup in Thailand possible over suspected insult, general says

By SUTIN WANNABOVORN • ASSOCIATED PRESS • May 29, 2008

Link to Article

Forum Antiquity ความเก่า dan&ploy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It says here that the minister has resigned and police are charging him with Tobias' favourite law, lese majeste. That should at least diffuse things a little.

These deep seated resentments are seriously damaging Thailand. When the King dies things are only going to get worse. If they are not careful they will turn into another Burma.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ JohnSwansea's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe the Thai army are seriously threatening a coup. Since when has a tank been a substitute for political debate in a civilised country. The army needs to realise noone has elected them to be "guardians" of anything.
    The opposition groups should confine themselves to legitimate oppposition and take on board the fact that it will only gain political power if its policies appeal the the majority of thai people.
    Thailand has to decide which road it intends to follow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Apichart Sankary, president of the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), said tourists from Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia had cancelled their plans to visit due to their fear of violence. Most Asian countries are sensitive to political uncertainty and cancellations are expected to increase in the next 10 days, he added.

" Malaysia yesterday issued a travel warning about safety while visiting Bangkok, and now the Indonesian government is considering giving the same advice, " said Apichart. Apichart said if political issues were not solved very soon, the Japanese market, which is the biggest market, could be hit as tour operators in Japan could offer their clients other destinations.

Full article here

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Friday showdown: PAD v police

"If they try to break through using flag poles, baseball bats or other objects they will be regarded as using weapons... Police will take action according to international crowd control principles." - Pol Maj-Gen Surapol Thuanthong, deputy police spokesman

Police said on Thursday they will not allow protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy move to Government House or parliament on Friday.

The PAD said it would push forward with its plans to move its rally from the Makkhawan Rangsan Bridge early on Friday afternoon, and defied the police to arrest its leaders.

Anyone else concerned about this? Even Richard Barrow (Managing Director Paknam Web) says
    "It is certainly getting to a stage now where it might be dangerous to holiday in Bangkok. There is a real chance of violence on the streets. The last coup was bloodless, but that doesn't mean it is like that every time. Be careful if you are already booked to come to Thailand in the next few weeks"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Anyone else concerned about this?
    Guess not

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ JohnSwansea's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess not
    I am Guava. I thing a lot of the stalwarts are busy pitching tents at their weekend love-in

Post Thanks / Like

Am I concerned? Yes.
    Am I surprised? No.

Some snaps from recent protests.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_pictures/7466181.stm

Packpao

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

thanks guys,I forgot about the camp. Thought I'd been talking to myself LOL

Worrying times for Thailand yet again

Post Thanks / Like

Concerned? Yes.

But I am beginning to think that the Thais bring this on themselves by electing almost completely useless and deeply unpleasant governments whenever they get the chance. And then by appearing to trust the king or the army to protect them from the worst excesses.

Ian