Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Post Thanks / Like

We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless i'm missing something, can't see anything in there that will affect Brits married to Thais and them applying to stay here.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought you decided to stay in Thailand.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by Azzzey68:
    I thought you decided to stay in Thailand.
    No stuck in the appeal in the end and with some creative writing got it overturned, been in the UK since 14 December.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless i'm missing something, can't see anything in there that will affect Brits married to Thais and them applying to stay here.
    As regards getting a visa, that is probably right, but as regards subsequent Naturalisation, there is a lot in the Bill that will affect Thais married to Brits!

The current 3-year qualifying period will become 5 years, to be reduced by 2 years, yes to 3 years, if the person has done some voluntary work.

Lots of other small print.
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Old Hand มือเก่า
    Post Thanks / Like

how long would this take to pass??? I was going to apply for the wife in march
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose migrants will have their average £800 fee paid for by the british tax payer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't have thought so Brian they will still have to pay just like now ... and when the new rules do come in to play I very much expect the fees to be even higher.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Neil & Mook's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wondrer if the missus would qualify for points as she is a registered foster carer??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I expect so Neil, I'm sure it's that type of thing the government would want to encourage. We'll find our early next year ...
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like

Have your say on the new system here.

and if you want a few bum clenching moments then make sure you read a few of the documents in the index at the bottom of this page.

I am glad Nok is nearly finished with all this.

Having read some of these documents, mainly on the "speaking English before arrival", it appears to me that this is a complete mockery.

If the Government are saying that we want people to learn English before they come to settle in this country as it will aid integration and reduce costs then surely this HAS to be applied to EVERYONE that comes to live here, not just non EU citizens.

There will still be integration and cost issues associated with all of those that come from WITHIN the EU and can not speak English, do they not see this?

OK it will cut down on the cost but it will not wipe it out as they are suggesting (if I am reading the papers correctly, but no doubt I am not).
    Champions 20|13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Gary, we must try and keep the EU argument away from this as it will confuse the issue - remember that EU Citizens have a "right" to free movement within the EEA and so the UK cannot do anything that would (or could) interfere with that right.

Now, if an EU citizen exercising treaty rights wishes to apply for naturalisation as British when time qualified then they too will have to jump through all these hoops - including the language and citizenship tests.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry don’t want to confuse the issue and I hear what you are saying Tobias but for me, when the Government make statements like “aid integration and reduce costs” then I just find it hard that they so easily “overlook” a vast amount of people that come here from the EU.
    And yes I know there is freedom of movement but…..

just to keep the post on topic; I have had a bit more time to read all the papers and if this eventually becomes law then we think we have it tough at the moment, boy this will make it a damn sight harder for future partners.

Get your paperwork in quick chaps. The sooner the better.
    Champions 20|13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by Gary & Nok:
    Sorry don’t want to confuse the issue and I hear what you are saying Tobias but for me, when the Government make statements like “aid integration and reduce costs” then I just find it hard that they so easily “overlook” a vast amount of people that come here from the EU.
    And yes I know there is freedom of movement but…...
    I don't think it is overlooked Gary, before passing a law the government is obliged to consider the effects of the proposed new law in the context of the Human Rights Act and to ensure that that is consistent with EU law.

Originally posted by Gary & Nok:
    I have had a bit more time to read all the papers and if this eventually becomes law then we think we have it tough at the moment, boy this will make it a damn sight harder for future partners.

Get your paperwork in quick chaps. The sooner the better.
    Absolututely 100% agree - and it will be more expensive too!

My advice, as it always has been since we read of proposed changes over 18 months ago, is that everyone should apply for ILR and citizenship at the earliest possible opportunity. As soon as an individual is time qualified and the other requirements are met, get those applications in. Big changes are certainly on their way so better to get as far as possible up the immigration/citizenship 'ladder' before the changes come in to affect.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrived 27/12/06, so if we get all our paperwork sorted for the begining of jan 2010 we can apply for Naturalisation when offices are open after xmas break ,

When is it likley the new rules will take effect from

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Before arriving here on a settlement visa, was the visa holder present in the UK on any other visa (visitor, student etc) at any time in the previous 12 months?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like

no first entered as above

Post Thanks / Like

Third Reading. 14.07.2009
    Mr. Woolas:
    Concerns have been expressed by Members in this House and the other place about the transitional arrangements, and I hope that they have been satisfied this evening. Our intention is and always has been to make fair and reasonable transitional arrangements, and, in response to the debates in this House and the other place, I have made the changes that we discussed earlier today. I have therefore made a commitment to commence earned citizenship no earlier than July 2011 , and placed in the Bill clear assurances, first, that people who apply for British citizenship before the earned citizenship provisions are commenced will be treated under the current law; and, secondly, that the transitional arrangements on the commencement order must allow for citizenship applications that are made within two years of commencement by those who have ILR on the date of commencement, or by those who are granted ILR following an application pre-dating commencement, to be considered under the current law.

Lady Hanham’s answer: “...we are going to have to take the Minister's commitments, in good faith. They are on the record and can be challenged if they are not implemented.”