Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

Just come across a Press Release regarding Thai's new A340-500, Economy has been fitted out with new touch screen 8.4in seat back TV's and And Cabin Ambience Mood Lighting, Fingers crossed, Hopefully this might happening on the London/Bangkok route!!

Thai's New A340-500

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

Just come across a Press Release regarding Thai's new A340-500, Economy has been fitted out with new touch screen 8.4in seat back TV's and And Cabin Ambience Mood Lighting, Fingers crossed, Hopefully this might happening on the London/Bangkok route!!

Thai's New A340-500

Cheers

Serial Poster ผู้โพสต์ต่อเนื่อง colin244's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully this might happening on the London/Bangkok route!!
    Me too as the 747-400's are getting dated plus the wife will only fly TG
    colin 244
    I am not a number, I am a free man

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it is very very unlikely that the A340-500 will ever be used on the BKK-LHR-BKK route. This aircraft was bought specifically for the JFK route which as it happens has performed poorly. Indeed Thai were considering dropping this route recently.

The A340 is widely regarded (amounst airlines) as having underperformed (fuel economy, cargo capacity, passenger perception etc).

The A340-500 was designed for long range, low density traffic, premium fare traffic. (ie New York) If you look at the total number of seats it is just over 200. Since Thai love to cram as many economy pax in as possible on the LHR route, with not many premium pax (ie the 747-400), then I think the only time you will see this aircraft will be on the gate at BKK.

Having said all that, I will probably now be proved wrong!!

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like

A few months ago I flew Bangkok to Los Angeles on the A340-500.
    Plane was full.More than 200 seats on the plane.
    Quite comfortable seemed to be lots of leg room.
    Needs to be for a 15-17 hour flight,time depending on which way it's going.
    Edit-just read your post properly.
    Agree it won't be on London route.Very long haul only,I guess.
    Mind you,having wrote that,last Feb I went to Switzerland on an A-340.Swiss Air.That plane was full as well,both ways.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok if you want to split hairs it's 215 seats, I think I said just over 200 seats!

The Swiss Air plane you flew on was not a A340-500. The A340-500 was intended for a completely different purpose as stated previously.

Old Hand มือเก่า
    Post Thanks / Like

Thai have pretty much confirmed that they have no current plans to change the plane or upgrade the service on the LHR/BKK route.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to fly Thai, all the time. Lately, though their fares seemed to have gone up (and!.I know every other air-line has too!) Seems to me , that flying from LHR , Thai have been very complacent as regards to Economy class, ( I admit they serve the best food though!). Last time out I went with Eva, newer planes, and good I.F.E., I will probably use Eva in future.
    Also, thai dont give 100% mileage accrual, for all classes of economy! (saying that! Eva will only give 75% on cetain classes of economy tickets!).A bit of a rambling post ! but, in a nutshell I think Thai have the best "times" and obviously frequency, flying to/from LHR. But......thats about the only thing (in my opinion!) that is any better than other airlines!
    Of course though! not everybody agrees with me1 cos every time Ive flown with them there is never any spare seats! lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Thai have pretty much confirmed that they have no current plans to change the plane or upgrade the service on the LHR/BKK route.
    Its obviously a money spinner for TG IMHO if my experience of nearly always full and Thai Ladies insisting on it (mine included)

Given the limited choice of a direct flight to LHR I think TG know they can fill planes looking at other prices (ie BA )
    colin 244

Post Thanks / Like

Colin,

There have been times I've found BA/Qantas cheaper than Thai!

My wife now wants to fly only Eva. That gets full of Thai ladies as well.
    'Tis me

Post Thanks / Like

Caller,
    I always check all the direct but TG usually comes up top (maybe the dates) or only a few pounds in it so it keeps her happy but if a big differnce I will book Eva etc!
    Regards
    colin 244

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all
    i'm on a ffp with eva and thai, eva have far better planes for sure, but i find the sevice not as good as thai, eva staff can be very rude and abrupt, also about fares, i know everyone looks around on internet so check out apodo.com for direct flights with thai, everytime ive booked they are under £470.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ stevem's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Think i will hire a pickup and drive next time .

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

I personally find the older thai 747s,as on the london route,have more comfortable seats than eva 777 or airbus. The seats recline more and seem to have deeper cushions. As for seat-back entertainment, well I always use overnight flight so with eyes closed it makes little difference. Also I find those seat-back screens too small and when the PAX in front reclines, it is in my face, I need to wear my glasses....tedious.
    Thai food and service are better than the rest: LOS starts as soon as you enter the plane and that feeling is worth the small premium.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by pgcon:
    Thai food and service are better than the rest..
    You should have been on my return flight in June you would not be saying that. Worst food I have ever experienced on any of my flights so far (Thai and others) at the time vowed never to use them again
    Champions 20|13