Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 37 12311 ... LastLast
    Forum Antiquity ความเก่า dan&ploy's Avatar

Our flights are booked and I have now got my visa so just the packing to be done.

There are two Thai embassies in Canada, one in Vancouver, a five hour flight from where we live, and one in Ottawa, a 1100km round trip by car. I had e-mailed the Ottawa embassy but never got a reply so I called them to ask about getting a non-immigrant 'O' visa based on my marriage to Ploy. They were less than helpful and suggested that a) they can only give visas to Canadian passport holders and b) why don't I come along anyway and they will assess my application.

I explained the journey time but that was all they could offer. Given their impenetrable website that looks like it was designed by that precocious brat that advertises Windows 7, and the fact it took Ploy four weeks to just get her passport renewed there, (and not to the biometric one), I looked at going to Hull.

I called Hull and they were very helpful, just bring your marriage certificate, photo, passport and application form, (and money), and if you make an appointment it should only take 30 minutes. A long way to go but at least it guarantees no problems.

But luckily, an accidental search on Google found a new Thai consulate in Toronto, just a hour and a half's drive from here and with a website that can actually be navigated by humans. I called them and they were very helpful, basically saying the same thing as Hull. No appointments, but they would try and process it the same day.

Well we found it, in the basement of an old house, and the consulate, a young Canadian man, took our documents, our $175 (multiple entry) and told us to come back in 3 hours.

Three hours later, stuffed full with sashimi and being the new proud owner of a second hand Tony Bennett CD, we went back and I duly received my visa. Delightful though the trip to Hull may have been, this was undoubtedly easier and quicker.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

good luck for your future Me and the missis will be in calgary/banff soon if your any where near by give me a p.m and we will have a few bevvies. p,s why hull and not london

Sorry Squadie, we fly out next Wednesday and Calgary is over 3000km from us!

I heard good things about Hull and being able to make a prior appointment was very handy. I'm wasn't sure you could do that in London and London is always busy anyway.

Enjoy Calgary, the autumn is just arriving here so it should be beautiful there.

You heard good things about Hull!!
    Thats a first
    Seriously though been on a couple of football tours before down there..loved it...definitely wild west country though...had to duck a few times in the past with bottles flying thro, the air
    Was working at Beverely(which isn,t too far from Hull) for a month a few yrs ago;best working away experience ever (actually the twin towers getting plane bombed happened whilst I was there..so maybes thats why it sticks in the little grey cells?)

Blog Entries

Squadie, Banff is a great place - some nice eating places too on Main Street. I've been there skiing a few times, what views!

Dan, a long flight. Will you be having a stop-over en route? I was close by you a few weeks back, in Toronto and Niagara Falls. If I had realised I was so close to you we could have cracked open a Canadian or a Moose Head!
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Forum Dinosaur ไดโนเสาร์ Thaddeus's Avatar

Originally posted by Tobias:
    Banff is a great place - some nice eating places too on Main Street.
    Ah memories .......

"how is your meal sir?"

"gone"
    Sit a spell, take your shoes off.

Banned

Interesting to see the visa Dan which looks the same as my mate from USA. Anyone know why the ones issued from Hull are in red (well mine is) and state 'employment prohibited'? My mates does not have this and it looks like yours does not either, yet they are all non immigrant O types visas.

Anyone know why the ones issued from Hull are in red
    Mine's from Hull also. It is also red. I think it is as simple to explain as they use a red ink pad at Hull.

The official 'Consular' Stamp is red on all documents, I think. Maybe Hull were just too lazy to change colours.
    No big deal.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Thaddeus:
    Ah memories .......

"how is your meal sir?"

"gone"
    I'd forgotten that one and the same waiter chasing after us outside asking why he was subsidising our holiday! Rob is still the same ...
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Dan, a long flight. Will you be having a stop-over en route? I was close by you a few weeks back, in Toronto and Niagara Falls. If I had realised I was so close to you we could have cracked open a Canadian or a Moose Head!
    Just transits, in Frankfurt and then Singapore.

It is best we keep our relationship virtual Tobias. If we actually met who knows where things would lead.

Blog Entries

I should really read what I type on that device before I hit the 'post' button!

Looks like a very long trip that Dan ... I don't envy you on that one.

Don't Etihad now fly from Toronto? Is it possible to connect to BKK via Abu Dhabi?
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Don't Etihad now fly from Toronto?
    I'm not sure Tobias. I fly Air Canada to Frankfurt and then Singapore Air the rest of the way. I will unfortunately have to start doing more business trips mostly in Asia, so I wanted to get my Singapore air Gold card reinstated and Air Canada are also Star Alliance.

I have a good book and my i-Pod so I am set.,

Blog Entries

Originally posted by dan&ploy:
    ... I have a good book and my i-Pod so I am set.,
    With that routing you'll need a whole bloody library!
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Forum Dinosaur ไดโนเสาร์ Thaddeus's Avatar

Originally posted by ddwjg:
    I think. Maybe Hull were just too lazy to change colours.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGHiPtY2yU8
    YouTube - Red Dwarf Clip - Changing the Bulb
    Sit a spell, take your shoes off.

Apologies for the self publicity, but to avoid copying everything across, here is the story of our first ten days in Thailand, http://www.danploy.com/diary.htm#The%20Arrival

Member สมาชิก

Quote Originally Posted by galahad View Post
    You heard good things about Hull!!
    Thats a first
    Seriously though been on a couple of football tours before down there..loved it...definitely wild west country though...had to duck a few times in the past with bottles flying thro, the air
    Was working at Beverely(which isn,t too far from Hull) for a month a few yrs ago;best working away experience ever (actually the twin towers getting plane bombed happened whilst I was there..so maybes thats why it sticks in the little grey cells?)
    Hull is not a great city, i should know its my own stomping ground, home to the largest council estate in europe and probably 1 of the roughest.

Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Hull is not a great city, i should know its my own stomping ground ...
    A few yew years back I enjoyed a couple of good Thai feasts at the Thai restaurant opposite the train station - so it can't be all bad
    Tobias - โทเบียส