Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can a Thai travel back to Thailand with Expired Passport (Containing ILR)

Hi There,

I asked this question in a thread with an unrelated name and didn't get an answer from anyone who was sure.
    The situation is that the wife's Thai passport which contains an ILR stamp has expired. I believe this is fine
    for staying in the country on. However, can she travel back to Thailand with it and renew it once over there?
    Or must she go to the Thai embassy in London and get a new one here first.

Thanks.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Mormegil_UK View Post
    Hi There,

I asked this question in a thread with an unrelated name and didn't get an answer from anyone who was sure.
    The situation is that the wife's Thai passport which contains an ILR stamp has expired. I believe this is fine
    for staying in the country on. However, can she travel back to Thailand with it and renew it once over there?
    Or must she go to the Thai embassy in London and get a new one here first.

Thanks.
    Well i would've thought she would need to apply for a new passport at the Thai embassy here before travelling back to Thailand

Post Thanks / Like

Last year the wife went into thailand with her thaipassport not her UK one on returning it was found by the Thai immmigration that her passport had expired 2 years before. She tried to leave on her Uk one but was not allowed to. The big problem was she did not have all the documents needed to renew in thailand and had to send back to the u.k for marriage cert. change of name cert also to get her birthcert from Khon kean and then when everything was ok she had to have all the UK docs verified by the British embassy it took about 2 weeks. Moral of the story dont let your passport expire get it renewed in the UK

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm, pretty sure you are wrong macduff.

A Thai overstayer can be deported back to thailand just so long as it can be proved that they are a thai national.

Provided the person has any sort of passport (expired or otherwise) they will always be able to return to their own country.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by squadie View Post
    Last year the wife went into thailand with her thaipassport not her UK one on returning it was found by the Thai immmigration that her passport had expired 2 years before.
    So it had expired even before she left for thailand. Proves my point.

Quote Originally Posted by squaddie View Post
    She tried to leave on her Uk one but was not allowed to.
    No, she wouldn't as the UK passport would not have an entry stamp in it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peterinkendal View Post
    hmmm, pretty sure you are wrong macduff.

A Thai overstayer can be deported back to thailand just so long as it can be proved that they are a thai national.

Provided the person has any sort of passport (expired or otherwise) they will always be able to return to their own country.
    I totally agree with that statement peter,but what the op was stating was she already has a right to live in the UK with ILR so she's not an over stayer,it's the fact that her Thai passport has expired and as i said before a new Thai passport would have to be sort before a journey back to Thailand.

If there is no immediate need for a return to Thailand in my opinion i would not leave the UK until a valid passport was obtained

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by macduff View Post
    I totally agree with that statement peter,but what the op was stating was she already has a right to live in the UK with ILR so she's not an over stayer,it's the fact that her Thai passport has expired and as i said before a new Thai passport would have to be sort before a journey back to Thailand.

If there is no immediate need for a return to Thailand in my opinion i would not leave the UK until a valid passport was obtained
    mate, I never once suggested she was. It was an example to show that no matter how expired her thai passport might be it will always serve as a valid passport for entering thailand. Of course she would not be able to return to the UK with it, so she would need to renew in thailand and show her old expired passport to prove ILR and her new valid passport. Which is exactly what the OP was wondering.

In many cases this is much more convenient, should you live many miles from the thai embassy in the UK. I am not recommending this course of action, merely answering the OP's question, yes, it is possible to travel to thailand with an expired thai passport.

The last sentence of your first paragraph and the first sentence of your last paragraph seem to be contradictory.

First you say that it is necessary to get the passport renewed in the UK, then saying that you would not leave the UK without a new passport, insinuating that it is possible but not something you would do.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi there,

From our own experience, It is advisable for your wife to take ALL her passports (expired or not) when she travels. As the ILR isn't transferred to a renewed passport, she will be required to show her current passport, plus the expired passport that carries the ILR. She can then enter Heathrow through the 'UK Passport Holders' section (with you) even though her passport may be a Thai one.

As for getting her Thai passport renewed in London BEFORE she travels, I don't know for sure, but I would certainly recommend it. I wouldn't advise anyone to travel anywhere on a passport due to expire imminently.

Best Wishes,
    PT.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Refering to the GDS (booking system) and the TIMATIC details used by, amongst others, checkin to check what visa etc are required it gives the following information.

TIMATIC-3 / 12NOV09 / 1126 UTC
    NATIONAL THAILAND (TH)
    RESIDENCE UNITED KINGDOM (GREAT BRITAIN) (GB)
    DESTINATION THAILAND (TH)
    VISA DESTINATION THAILAND (TH)
    ...... NORMAL PASSPORTS ONLY ......
    PASSPORT REQUIRED.
    - EXPIRED PASSPORTS ISSUED TO NATIONALS OF THAILAND ARE
    ACCEPTED.
    PASSPORT EXEMPTIONS:
    - NATIONALS OF THAILAND HOLDING A CERTIFICATE OF IDENTITY.
    VISA NOT REQUIRED.
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    - ALL PASSPORTS MUST BE IN GOOD CONDITION.

I do not know if the entry stamp will go into the expired passport and to get back into the UK you will need a valid Thai passport plus the expired one with the visa.
    If it is possible to renew her Thai passport in time it may avoid confusion, although there shouldnt be any.
    A quick (is that possible) call to the Thai embassy will confirm.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Thanks for your replies.
    So, basically, it is possible but not ideal.
    Probably better to sort it out beforehand. Although that will push our trip back it means
    we don't have to waste our holiday time faffing about in government agencies.

Any idea how long it takes to get a passport in Thailand assuming you have all correct documents with you?

Post Thanks / Like

Took us the best part of half a day in BKK, arrived mid morning, may have been better to get there early.Would have to ask my wife if we collected it at the same time or on another day.
    Cant recal exactly what docs are needed apart from the usual ones like house book and birth cert, just check the Buddhist holidays before you go just in case their closed.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2639.php (In Thai)