Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Default British Citizenship and Naturalisation Enquiries

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this and need the advice about the UK Citizenship application.
    I'm originally from Thailand and I've been living here in the UK nearly 4 years
    as a civil partnership. I'm holding a Settlement-indefinite leave to remain and now entitle to apply for a British Citizen but I'm not sure that I should proceed my application now or leave it later. As I am out of work for over a year and the Section 3 of the application form, Good Character Requirement, needs detail about jobs and tax office reference which I haven't have for now. I used to sign on with Jobcentre Plus when I was out of work over a year ago but they told me that I was not entitle to claim any Jobseeker Allowance because I haven't pay enough tax while working as most of my jobs were part-time so I didn't keep signing on because I think it was the end of it til someone just told me recently to do so even I wont get any benefit. Now I'm still looking for a job and going to the college to enrol the part-time courses for the Adult Learners to get the qualifications and secured jobs.

By the way, I walked into the solicitors office the other days about this enquiries but they told me that I have to pay the fee £40 for talking to one of thier solicitors for 15 mins. It's ridiculous, isn't it? £40!!! just for the answer '' Yes, you can or No, you cant ''. I even dont have a job myself, never mind the fee to pay the solicitor..LOL Plus all the applications from the past, I just printed out and filled in by myself never ever used the solicitors before but not really quite sure about this one and dont want to lose £720 for the application fee.

So what do you think guys? Can I or can I not proceed my application now?
    If you guys have experienced like this before or know best about this, I wouldn't say NO for your advice and will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jess

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, welcome to this forum. A very relevant question .... your Civil Partner .... is he British?
    John

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi John,

Thanks for your greeting and yes my partner is british. He is the one who wants me to apply for the naturalisation as soon as I can even I've tried to explain that I may need to wait until I get a job according to the Section 3 - Good Character Requirement- of the application form.

Just want to get the ideas to make sure of myself that I'm doing it right and certainly dont want to lose the application fee if it's rejected. I kindda understand that probably it's worth it just to wait for a little bit longer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong and thanks again.

Jess

Post Thanks / Like

You passed the Life in the UK Citizenship test, in order to get your ILR? If not you will need to pass it in order to apply for Naturalisation.

Given your Civil Partner is British, you can apply for Naturalisation using the 3-year rule. Just make sure that you were physically in the UK exactly 3 years before UKBA receive the Naturalisation application.

Need to work? I am not sure how you got that idea, but there is no requirement to be working, or indeed ever worked in the UK.
    John

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi John,

Thanks for your advice.

Yes I have passed the Life in the UK Test and got the certificate that's why I could apply for the ILR since 2008 and the idea about work as I refered from page 10/16, Section 3: Good Cahracter Requirement as it said '' In this section you need to give information which will help the Home Secretary to decide whether he can be satisified that you are good character. Checks will be made with the police and possibly other Gorvernment Departments, the Secretary Service and other agencies '' and it also said in Guide form AN Section 3 Good Charater '' To be of good character you should have shown respect for the rights and freedom of the United Kingdom, observed and fulfilled your duties and obligations as a resident of the United Kingdom. Checks will be carried out to ensure that the information you give is correct'' This section is also including the questoins of the criminal records which I am not worried about because I've got none. So that is where I get the idea about work from. Please look through if you have spare time as I'm a little bit confused now.

Jess

Post Thanks / Like
    We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.

Post Thanks / Like

Manchester-Thai Lad, there is absolutely nothing in the words that you have highlighted to say that that need to be working, or have ever worked, in the UK.

Also "rights and freedom of the United Kingdom", include the right to work, but also the right not to work.
    John

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi John and Vinny,

Thank you very much for your advice.
    I now can proceed my application form.

Thanks again,

Jess

Orangesoup

Jess,

I fretted about the same question regarding my wife who initially due to an inadequate standard of English and then because of child-care responsibilities had not worked in the UK.

I can happily report that my wife is now the holder of a British passport.

Just as long you haven't transgressed or broken any Laws you will be fine.