Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Book Calling and Texting mobile in Thailand from UK

Hi all. Can anyone recommend a cheap method of calling thai mobiles and also sending sms messages please? I am currently with o2uk and paying 90p per minute. SMS are costing me 20p each which i feel is acceptable. Presumably any good deals involve buying a simcard? Thanks all in advance

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Yanto, my wife uses lebara mobile,4p&6p a min to cell and landlines, also she uses skype,at £2.90p a month
    hope this helps, also others on here will give there views too, see web page=http://lebara.co.uk/en/internationaltariffs.php

Patrick& Nid,.

Post Thanks / Like

We use 08448612121, on Virgin it works out at about 4p a minute.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ chocolate-eater's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ouch 90p a minute.

Some ideas already here which will drop call charges and I use telesavers myself but you can still get some hefty bills if you talk daily for about 10 mins.

The funny thing is now I only probably make 1 call a month to her if that.

The reason is because I bought her a netbook (acer 250 quid one) with webcam etc. She has broadband which I think she pays about 400 baht a month for. So we talk daily on msn. So this is great as I see her daily, we can talk and type etc, she uses the netbook for other things such as thai news, youtube, facebook etc, but the initial outlay of 250 pounds has paid for itself in mobile phone call charges and with all those benefits.

I just got my bill today for 02 from on holiday. It was 93.93 which is my highest bill to date. I knew it was going to be a biggie as my wife wanted to call her mum when we was in vietnam, so that was a uk mobile phoning a mobile in a foreign country from a different foreign country - that was ouch!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

chocolate- we do exactly the same. We talk on msn for at least one hour every day. Problem is i work shifts. Iwant to be able to talk with her at any time i can. Hopefully our settlement application will succeed and we wont have to worry about this.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

There have been other threads with some people having problems with voipdiscount.com
    I have been using them a while without any problems and they are very cheap.

You can call via your pc or use a UK landline number to call indirect. So you get their FOC minutes they give you for adding credit then your FOC minutes on your mobile or home phone to call the UK number and then input the number you want.

On my blackberry I have it all set up with the neccessary pause etc to insert the thai number after dialling the UK number. They us 0208 etc numbers not 0844 were you are charged by mobiles etc as these numbers are not generally included in mobile minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

One option would be to buy a cheap 3 PAYG mobile, their cheapest is £30, though the INQ Mini 3G is probably worth the extra tenner.

Three Store

These have Skype pre-installed so you just need to register an account and sign up to Skype Country (specifying Thailand, obviously!) which will give you unlimited calls to Thai mobiles and landlines for £3.39 incl VAT per month, which you can also use when you are in Thailand.

Skype Unlimited Country

I have no idea what is involved in using Skype with your O2 phone but I assume it must be possible.
    Gordie T Geordie

Post Thanks / Like

dial wise is half a p a minute to mobiles 1p to landlines

Post Thanks / Like

If you are on o2 pay & go then you could change your tariff to Your country for free calls to LOS.
    Buy cheap, pay twice.

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure why no one has mentioned Skype on this thread. I restricted the number of my calls and paid the high costs on O2 until I found that Skype does a monthly deal for £7 (or £4 if you set just for Thialand). TGF is now here and talks to her family and friends every day on their mobiles. 10,000 minutes of calls for £7 you just can not beat it. Makes me smile because it costs nothing and makes TGF happy because she can talk as long as she wants without me getting grumpy !!!

Post Thanks / Like

pagan - whats involved in using/setting up Skype please? Do i need to buy a phone etc? Cheers

Veteran ผู้มีประสบการณ์
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pagan1 View Post
    Not sure why no one has mentioned Skype on this thread.
    GTG mentioned it 3 posts earlier!
    Lucky

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    GTG mentioned it 3 posts earlier!
    Doh!!!!!
    Champions 20|13

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Chocolate-eater Next time just buy a local sim card as it'll be a hell of a lot cheaper to phone Thailand

Member สมาชิก
    Post Thanks / Like

Yanto
    I use Skype from my computer. Just search for "Skype", download and sign up. Use the monthly subscription worldwide option and you can call any mobile or landline in Thialand. Always found call quality to be great. If other person is at a computer and has access to Skype you can talk and see each other for free.
    I understand that you can also get Skype mobiles to use on the move but you will need someone with a little more knowledge than me to tell you more on that side.
    All the best

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default voipdiscount free calls to thailand

try this one http://www.voipdiscount.com/en/index.html i've had this for many years it's the best!! you just put about 10 pound on it and then you get free landline/mobile for 3months (5hrs in one wk) then when free time has finished you than only pay 1p a min, if you need more info just let me know.......also cheap texts!!

Also You can use your free minutes with your call package from your phone company so free wherever you are
    Last edited by deland; 8th Apr 2010 at 10:11. Reason: added more

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Deland, I have concerns with voipdiscount - used them for years myself, but have a look at WARNING: Voipdiscount - Fraud?

If you do a Google, you'll find I'm not the only one!
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Mmmm.... very interesting never had a problem with them i allways pay with paypal will have to keep an eye on this!! but anyway i have had skype for along time too and after looking at what people on here have said i've just signed up to unlimited to thailand so will use this now as it's pretty good
    Last edited by Tobias; 8th Apr 2010 at 12:14. Reason: Deleted quote of entire previous post

Post Thanks / Like

can voip be used from a uk mobile to call thai mobiles?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It can if the mobile is WiFi.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.