Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That link Chris appears to be those accredited by Accreditation UK - if an institution is listed on that website then this should be okay.

If an institution is not listed, that does not necessarily mean it is not accredited for the purposes of the UKBA. Not all accredited colleges may be listed on that website, it is possible they are accredited via the British Accreditation Council (BAC), the Accreditation Body for Language Services (ABLS) or the Accreditation Service for International Colleges (ASIC).
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tobias - just got off the telephone to the UK Border Agency and they say if it's on the website that they have posted then there isn't any need for a letter from the college.....they also said,

"we will know anyway when you submit your application IF the college is accredited"

Post Thanks / Like

Well I spoke with the UKBA today as well and my worries were put at rest. They explained that it's the exam board that needs to be accredited not the college itself. Mol has a certificate from Trinity College London who are accredited so we shouldn't have any problems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Keith, that appears to be at odds with the wording used in the OP.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like

She assured me that it's the College who are the exam board and who issue the certificate who must be accredited.

We're OK anyway as EFC fits into this category "An 'accredited college' is:

a publicly funded college which is subject to inspection by Ofsted"

Post Thanks / Like

So how do I stand then - Bedford issued a City and Guilds certificate to my wife (also Mol) in June 2009.........does that mean we are okay?

Bedford College is a publicly funded college subject to Ofsted inspections - in fact they had their last inspection last year,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris M View Post
    does that mean we are okay?

Sure does

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Kop koon krap Keith and Tobias once again

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    She assured me that it's the College who are the exam board
    Are you sure about that Keith. I have never known a college to be it's own examination board, otherwise were is the regulation/comparison between college A and college B when doing the same subjects. Each college would be able to set their own standards and pass/fail accordingly.

Surely there is a governing body that controls the exams, like GCSE etc. or come to think of it the British Accreditation Council (BAC), the Accreditation Body for Language Services (ABLS) or the Accreditation Service for International Colleges (ASIC).
    Champions 20|13

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Keith, that appears to be at odds with the wording used in the OP.
    Now I'm on a PC, I'll amplify.

In the OP the UKBA states (bold mine for emphasis):

"... Currently, you can satisfy the ESOL requirement by obtaining a relevant ESOL qualification from an approved awarding body following attendance on a course which was taught using specified citizenship materials ..."

It goes on to say:

"... From 7 April 2010, you must also:

have studied for your ESOL qualification at an 'accredited college'"

So the ESOL qualification has always needed to be awarded by an approved awarding body, now an applicant needs to have studied for that approved ESOL qualification at an accredited college.

Based on the UKBA announcement included in the OP, what Keith was told on the telephone by UKBA is clearly incorrect. As always, never rely on 'advice' or 'information' given over the telephone by the UKBA, always verify what you have been told from other sources.

I suspect this new rule has much to do with problems of 'quick fix' routes to passing this qualification.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like

thanks Tobias - so basically my wife, Mol whom studied at Bedford College from Sept 2008 - June 2009 and was then issued a PASS certificate in Speaking and Listening (Entry 1) by City and Guilds in June 2009 needs to show that Bedford College was an ACCREDITED college back in June 2009 (as per attachment)?

There are inspection reports dating back to 2001, so presume we are okay?

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxedu_provi...l/(urn)/130597

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chris, I wouldn't worry. The rule doesn't suggest you have to prove anything except that the qualification has been passed and there has been 'progression'. The letter from the college will confirm progression and the UKBA should know which colleges are accredited for their purposes.

Bedford College clearly appears on the list so I see no problem at all for you. With the introduction of the new rule it wouldn't surprise me if the accredited colleges will in future include the fact they are accredited in the letter confirming progression and citizenship content.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Post Thanks / Like

thanks again Tobias for taking time to reply and put me at ease. When one has been preparing for nearly 2 years, just don't want anymore hurdles to jump. I think I must owe you nearly a box of Singha beer already....!

My thoughts too as otherwise one should be made aware by a college that if they are teaching ESOL which is leading to Settlement, they must be accredited.

I have the letter showing progression from Pre-entry level to level 1 and was inclusive of Citizenship materials, together with a certificate.

Roll on April 29th at PEO Croydon...!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that ALL state colleges inspected by Ofsted are accredited, but they might not appear on any list.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by -Keith- View Post
    Don't forget that ALL state colleges inspected by Ofsted are accredited, but they might not appear on any list.
    Sorry Keith, not trying to pick a fight (and know you have not made the rules about this list) but if that is the case what is the point of a list.

You either have a list of ALL accredited colleges or you have a statement that says ALL state colleges are accredited.

Mind you, this is this government and everything else they have done has confused the heck out of me so why this should be any different I don't know
    Champions 20|13

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Bedford College have just e.mailed me the following:-

"City and Guilds was definitely accredited at the time (2009) and so was the college. The college remains so and also holds a Tier 4 licence, which means we are in regular contact with the UKBA and are subject to inspections from them. In theory, all FE colleges have ESOL accreditiation.

We use City & Guilds and Cambridge ESOL as exam boards and both these boards have had accreditation for some years and remain to do so under the new system.

For further clarity, Enterprise House is merely a building. The college is Bedford College, regardless of whether it's the main site, Skills Bank or Enterprise House. Bedford College was also awarded Grade 1 status by Ofsted in 2008-2009, which means that Ofsted considers it to be outstanding. See our website for further details: www.bedford.ac.uk"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chris, see, you can sleep easy

I've got a plane to catch, TTFN.
    Tobias - โทเบียส

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink

I'm a little confused by this thread. My wife was granted her ILR back in 2004. She's about to take her Life In The UK test with a view to citizenship (the test is booked for May). Does this mean we have to get something else AS WELL as the test?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PT View Post
    I'm a little confused by this thread. My wife was granted her ILR back in 2004. She's about to take her Life In The UK test with a view to citizenship (the test is booked for May). Does this mean we have to get something else AS WELL as the test?
    No no no, this ONLY applies to those going down the ESOL with citizenship content route, those taking the LiUK test are totally unaffected.

Gary,

The lists of accredited colleges are approved private colleges. Read the OP's first post again, I missed the bit about state funded colleges the first time around.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe this - I have just gone onto the UKBA website again and the form has changed YET again for SET (M) and guidance notes......I will have to get a revised letter from the college quickly as the following is now needed from the college:-

m. you have obtained a relevant ESOL qualification?

You must submit the original certificate from an approved awarding body (see above) showing that you have obtained a relevant ESOL qualification.

You must also submit a letter from your college confirming:

- Your name

- The title of the qualification you have obtained

- The name of the awarding body

- That the course contained citizenship materials derived from the document entitled "Citizenship Materials for ESOL Learners" produced by NIACE/LLU+

- That you were assessed at the beginning of the course by a suitably qualified teacher (ISN'T ON OUR ORIGINAL LETTER)

- The level at which you were originally assessed (ISN'T ON OUR ORIGINAL LETTER)

- The level to which you have progressed

- The duration of the course (ISN'T ON OUR ORIGINAL LETTER)

- How the college meets the definition of an "accredited college". (ISN'T ON OUR ORIGINAL LETTER)

The letter from the college must be on letter-headed paper, be signed and dated by an official of the college, and contain the official stamp or seal of the college.