Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Post Thanks / Like

It has just been announced that a rule that had been 'waived' is to be implimented with immediate effect.

It is with regard to proof of finances, and only those who solely use the '800,000 baht in a Thai bank a/c' qualification.

Previously the Immigration Dept were content, as long as the money was in your bank a/c when you renewed your visa, (along with accompanying letter from said bank, and a photocopy of bank book). Now Immigration are insisting the money must be in your bank a/c 90 days prior to renewal, confirmed by letter from said bank, and copy of pages of your bank book.

For those renewing using 'proof of income from UK' as part or whole of the amount(800,000 baht) this rule does not apply.

Their reason for implementing this rule is, that some retirees have been borrowing money from a fellow expat to make up their finances to 800,000 baht, then repaying it immediately after receiving their new visa.

It is strongly believed that Immigration picked up on this 'breaking of the rules' from discussions on Expat Forums!
    BEWARE WHAT YOU POST

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

Originally posted by ddwjg:
    It is strongly believed that Immigration picked up on this 'breaking of the rules' from discussions on Expat Forums!
    BEWARE WHAT YOU POST
    Dave.
    Or just be rich enough to have 800,000 baht in your bank account at all times

How often do you need to renew this type of visa then Dave?

Is it just a case of having the money at the time of visa or are you expected to have a certain amount at all times?

Sorry to put you on the spot, I could look on internet but it is just idle curiosity on my part and thought you might know
    Champions 20|13

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ e.t.v's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

nearly 14k in a Thai bank account hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

How often do you need to renew this type of visa then Dave?
    Once a year. Technically it's not a renewal, it's an extension to an existing non-O visa, one year at time.

Is it just a case of having the money at the time of visa or are you expected to have a certain amount at all times?
    You are required to show the money has been in the bank for a full 90 days up to applying for the visa extension. That rule has been in place for a long time but, as Dave says, they've been a little flexible in recent years. They've tightened up on it again because many people have been abusing the system.

nearly 14k in a Thai bank account hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    Why the surprise? That's been one of the non-O retirement extension requirements for a considerable length of time now.

For those renewing using 'proof of income from UK' as part or whole of the amount(800,000 baht) this rule does not apply.
    Except, of course, for the proof of income part, which itself has to be evidenced over a 3 month period.

Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Post Thanks / Like

I opened this thread mainly to warn those members who are already retired in Thailand. To all those considering this move who are not aware of the requirements of getting a retirement visa (or,as Paul quite rightly states, a Non-O visa retirement extension)feel free to ask and one of us expats will try to answer.

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

quote:
    Except, of course, for the proof of income part, which itself has to be evidenced over a 3 month period.

Paul พอล

Paul, I think that depends on the source of income. In my case, receiving a pension from a previous employer, I show a letter from that employer to the British Embassy, showing my annual pension, and they give me an official embassy confirmation letter of my income, to give to the Immigration Officer.

This letter costs more than the renewal fee at Immigration.

As my pension falls below the 800,000 baht figure, I have to show a balancing amount in my bank a/c. As I stated earlier because I am showing part income, I do not need the balance in my Thai bank a/c 90 days in advance. Only at the time of renewal.

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

Paul, I think that depends on the source of income. In my case, receiving a pension from a previous employer, I show a letter from that employer to the British Embassy, showing my annual pension, and they give me an official embassy confirmation letter of my income, to give to the Immigration Officer.
    Same rules, same application. You've shown proof of your income over the course of 12 months which easily covers the minimum requirement of 3 months.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Post Thanks / Like

Paul. Quite correct.....Oops

One point though is that Immigration don't want to see that proof. Only a letter from your embassy, confirming they have seen it, and stating a yearly figure. That's the case at Pattaya Immigration anyway.

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

To date, I have dealt with both the Korat and Nong Khai offices. Both have accepted notary letters from the British Embassy as proof without needing to view the source of the figures. Korat did ask me once, but I said I had offered them the paperwork the previous year and they were handed straight back to me without being looked at and a "don't need" remark, so I didn't bring anything this time. "No problem" was the reply and nothing more was said on the matter. I've heard tell of letters from other Embassies not being trusted to the same extent and backup proof having been requested.

I now report to Nong Khai immigration (Thai wife extension rather than retirement - I'm not old enough for the latter ). I post 3 months bank statements and other documents to the British Embassy relating to my UK business and they post back a very similar notary letter to the one you receive. As you say, the notary letter costs more than the visa extension.

Previously I did this every year. I was told on my last visit to Nong Khai that a single notary letter will now be accepted for 3 consecutive years. There's no need to get one every year, I can present the same letter three times on the trot before I have to obtain another one. They also returned the original letter to me, whereas they had previously kept it, which lends some support to what was said. However, I'll believe it when I see it and wouldn't recommend anyone rely on this information without getting it directly from their immigration office first.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด

Post Thanks / Like

I was told on my last visit to Nong Khai that a single notary letter will now be accepted for 3 consecutive years.
    I'll check up with Pattaya on this. Although I think the British Consul and Pattaya Immigration have a symbiotic relationship, and are housed almost next door to one another. So they would probably want a new letter every year.

When did you pay your last visit to Nong Khai?

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the British Consul and Pattaya Immigration have a symbiotic relationship
    Understood. I think you may be right, that particular office may well choose to ignore the directive.
    When did you pay your last visit to Nong Khai?
    June 2009.
    Paul พอล
    กำขี้ดีกว่ากำตด