Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Pattaya to Korat

Not exactly a trip report, as such but given the current situation in Thailand and recent FCO advice to avoid ALL travel to Thailand, plus conflicting (not to mention confusing) news stories about what is happening, any first hand report about any road trip here is worth a mention.

Me and the missus drove from Pattaya to Korat yesterday without any problems. There are a few police roadblocks around Korat itself with some "Reds" gatherings, more like rallys than protests, actually, taking place in Korat town centre but I haven't seen anything that looks frightening, as such. Certainly no barricades or stand offs which, as I have just seen on the news, appears to be happening in Chiang Mai now as well as Bangkok.

All quiet, so far. Let's hope the trip back to Pattaya tomorrow is just as boring!

Allan (& Nuy).

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ millermac's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that, myself and Tan will probably doing this trip around the 16th of May
    so any advice is welcome. Did you drive yourself, hire a car, is it an easy drive and how long time wise? I have done the journey before but I was driven by a Thai relation and I am a bit hazy on the detail.
    Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up easy peasy

Hi Millermac - the journey is quite long but it shouldn't be anything to get too fazed about. I hired a truck from a friend (English) as it was cheaper than local car hire firms. Got the truck / jeep for about the same price I usually pay for a small car, (1,000 B per day).

Not sure if it's the most direct route but I usually go out down by Sattahip and pick up the motorway from there, (the 331 I believe it is - blame Nuy if it's wrong). After that it's virtually a straight road until you pick up the 304 that takes you over the mountains. From there straight into Korat. Plus it's very well signposted. It should bring you in going past the Korat zoo. Allow 5 hours for the journey. I know it sounds arduous but that will even allow you time for a couple of rest stops. And keep a few sets of 200 baht in various pockets just in case you do get stopped!

In the event that someone posts a more direct route my advice would be to forget all of the above and go with whatever they say - navigation never was one of my strong points!

Best of luck with it anyway.

Allan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Allan
    Do you have a contact for the car rent or is it on a personal level.
    Navigation not my strong point either but that sounds an interesting route with a bit of scenery on the way.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like

it is on a personal level Jim but if we are in Pattaya at the same time (I'm here until 24 May) and able to meet uo I'm happy to introduce you

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Not sure if it's the most direct route but I usually go out down by Sattahip and pick up the motorway from there, (the 331 I believe it is - blame Nuy if it's wrong). After that it's virtually a straight road until you pick up the 304 that takes you over the mountains. From there straight into Korat. Plus it's very well signposted. It should bring you in going past the Korat zoo. Allow 5 hours for the journey. I know it sounds arduous but that will even allow you time for a couple of rest stops. And keep a few sets of 200 baht in various pockets just in case you do get stopped!

In the event that someone posts a more direct route my advice would be to forget all of the above and go with whatever they say - navigation never was one of my strong points!

Best of luck with it anyway.

Allan
    Allan, your route is almost correct from the 331 onwards. (It is not a motorway, incidentally, but is a very good road.) From Pattaya you have no need to join it via Sattahip. Drive north on Sukhumvit Road, Highway 3, then onto Highway 36 East, until you see signs for the 331 going North, signed to Kabinburi. Then onward, as you say. It normally takes me about 3.5 hours with no stops on the way.

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    it is on a personal level Jim but if we are in Pattaya at the same time (I'm here until 24 May) and able to meet uo I'm happy to introduce you
    We get there on the 10th so would be good to meet we are staying at Areca Lodge so if you have any suggestions for a meeting place we would be pleased to see you.

Rookie มือใหม่
    Post Thanks / Like

try google maps
    can zoom in on thailand
    print off the page,with roads,names ect
    or buy a a to z type aa map book
    get in many places,in thai and english
    i like to ride my bike around,so look at main roads,there numbers ,places to visit ect
    print off pages for my days ride,works well
    also heard you can get tom tom now as well
    not seen it working,but i like a map
    hold it ,see other stuff ect,fold it up,put into pocket
    scout and army days lol,map reading
    bit like the sky train,print of a map
    then jump off at each stop,add things to see there
    i built up a nice map ,ton of info,bit recon
    also google mapped samui,used for a weeks holiday there,ride bike around,over the mountin pass
    and with phucket,ride the island,over saracin bridge,onto main land thailand
    google maps pritty good,free too,just print off what you need,or make notes