Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

It is with great personal sadness that I report the sudden death of a close friend and fellow forum Moderator, Rolyshark.

Yesterday evening (19th May 2009) Steve unexpectedly took a turn for the worse whilst his parents were visiting him in hospital. During the evening Steve had been chatting normally to his parents before suddenly feeling ill and slipping into unconsciousness. There was nothing the doctors could do, Steve passed away a short time later. It appears Steve didn’t suffer and passed very quickly. Steve is survived by his partner Noi, his three stepchildren, a step grandchild (all in Thailand), his parents and a brother.

It was on the 11th November when I received a telephone call from Steve; he had just returned home from the hospital after receiving the results of a series of tests he had recently had. He gave me the devastating news that he had been diagnosed with advanced oesophageal cancer. This came completely out-of-the-blue. Whilst Steve had been feeling below par for a number of months, this diagnosis was not anticipated. Steve was told there was no cure, the condition was inoperable and that his life expectancy was less than six months.

Steve was a larger than life character in every sense. He was a kind-hearted, considerate chap who would give unstintingly of his time to help anyone who needed it. He was a well respected lawyer who was admired by his peers and clients alike. He championed the cause for those who were less fortunate and needy or who found themselves in impossible situations. He was always ready and willing to offer help, advice or assistance. Socially you couldn’t wish for a better companion – a great raconteur, intelligent and witty with a wicked sense of humour who was always ready with a quick one-liner.

That sense of humour continued even after the devastating diagnosis, when Steve and I spoke on the telephone discussing his illness he said ”.. but hey, some good news though Toby, my road tax is due at the end of the month so I've only had to buy 6 months worth!”. A few weeks later we chatted about a recent visit to the doctors and Steve’s intention to fly back to Thailand ”... I was given a spoonful of some liquid morphine based pain-killer yesterday at the hospital... now I just need to find a way to evaporate the liquid, mix the residue with some talc and Vim, go out and buy a hoodie, sell the stuff on street corners and then I can fly first class to Thailand!”.

Steve endured his illness with dignity and with great courage and fortitude. The world is certainly a much poorer place without him, there are far too few people about with Steve’s kind nature. It is a very sad day for Thailand-UK too, we have lost a major player in our community ... and Jenny and I have lost an irreplaceable friend.

When he died, Steve was just 46. May he rest in peace.

UPDATE: A video tribute 'Carpe Diem' and 'The Funeral' will be found in this topic
    Last edited by Tobias; 1st Aug 2011 at 11:22. Reason: Added link to the Video Tributes topic.
    Tobias - โทเบียส
    If you want to know where I am, follow me on my Thailand-UK Blog.

Tobias,
    I am shell-shocked. I didn't expect this so suddenly. My heartfelt condolences go to his families in both the UK and
    Thailand.

RIP Rolyshark(Steve). God bless you and keep you.

Dave.

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ

What heartbreaking news, especially after the recent recovery.
    I consider it an honour and a privilege to have met and had a few beers with Steve (sadly only a few times).

My heartfelt condolences to his family

R.I.P. Steve you will be sadly missed
    Gary and Nok

Member สมาชิก
    Stone Staffordshire. Phaisan, Prakhonchai

I am dumb founded; I was still expecting to see postings from Steve for some time. His picture again reminded me of the pleasure of first meeting Steve in the wind swept Lake District in charge of the Beer cooler.

He will be sorely missed in all area of his life and people he touched.

Our heartfelt condolences to his families and friends both the UK and Thailand.

RIP Rolyshark (Steve).

Roland, Yao and Dae

Totally gobsmacked

R.I.P Steve

This community will never forget you.

Keith
    If you're offended by any assistance I give, it says far more about you than it does me.

thankyou Tobias it is with great sadness that Kanchana and i share this news.our thoughts and condolences go out to his family and friends both in Thailand and the UK.his goodness will be greatly missed

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ chocolate-eater's Avatar

RIP buddy. I did not know you but I am sure you helped me in some way on here.

Such as young age to die and I can see from the picture you looked a man who is larger than life.

Derren (and Poo)

R.I.P. Steve, what a great loss to your family and friends, I am so sorry that we never met in March, I just missed you at Cherry Bar, rest in peace.

to his family & friends I offer my sympathy & hope that his memory lives on in everyone's heart for a long long time.

RIP

Well said Boo. My thoughts exactly.

Richard
    It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are

Blog Entries

R.I.P. Steve. Condolences to his friends and family

Forum Regular สมาชิกประจำ Rich & Orasa's Avatar

A few years ago Steve, we were on the same flight back from LOS, sitting a few seats apart. I recognised you from pix posted here on T-UK but I was to reserved to step forward and introduce myself - sounds like it was my loss and not yours. Our sympathies to those you have left behind.

R.I.P

Member สมาชิก

As a fairly new member of this forum I was saddened to read about Steves illness.

My condolences to Steves' family and friends.

Really bad news and unexpected but glad to hear he did not suffer.

RIP Steve

Daeng Ash and Wesley

hard to know what to say...........a very dignified human who himself gave me some very good advice on my own health problem. much missed

Although I knew Steve was poorly it still came as a shock to me when I heard the news early this morning. I've known of Steve for over 20 years but only in the last 10 did I get to know him well though our love of all things Thai and of course throwing a few boules in the same team. A great friend who will be sorely missed by all that knew him.

RIP Steve.
    Mark
    ควาย

My heartfelt condolences to his family and many friends.

somehow a post about anything else seems very inappropriate,
    i think the forum will not be quite the same

Very sad news.All my condolences to Steves family and friends.
    The forum will be certainly miss him.