Thailand-UK ประเทศไทย-สหราชอาณาจักร

Forums ฟอรั่มส์

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default difficult or impossible?

I am finding it more and more probable, that after several years living in Thailand i will return to the UK. I just miss home a lot and the negatives of living in Thailand seem to get greater than the positives as time goes on. Money and the halving of income since i came here has something to do with it, but there are lots of other reasons.

If I did return to UK full time I would not be employed at my age, and living in rented, although i could just about afford to buy, but would either way be partly living on savings as my work pension is too small and it's a few years yet to the state one. My wife in Bkk cannot prove regular work but does have quite a lot in her bank and ownership of a house in the country.

What would be the problems to overcome in her applying for a settlement visa given my circumstances of my no job and limited income? I would not be claiming state benefits as too much in the bank for that. At the moment though she is not keen on moving for good so how would circumstances fit a VV application instead? She had one before but that was difficult to get even when I had a house, job and far greater income.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I imagine that a second VV would be considerably easier than the first.

As for settling back in the UK. I know what you mean about being tired of Thailand (I certainly am in many ways!) but think how quickly you'd soon remember why you wanted to leave in the first place! I saw a post here this morning from someone who was scraping ice off his windshield!

Anyway, I don't know your age of course, but if you have savings and at least a some chance of some work in the UK before they vanish, I'd imagine you'd have no problems. Good luck whatever you decide!

Post Thanks / Like

Brian,

Obviously you will not want to post your exact financial situation but as you say you can just about afford to buy a house, I'm replying on the basis that you have substantial savings.

The financial/housing requirements are that you can support your wife and provide suitable accommodation for her without recourse to public funds. I've never seen anything in writing that states how long you should be able to support her for but I'd take a guess that in certain circumstances it would be 2 years, after which she would be entitled to public funds.

When my ex-wife applied for her settlement visa, I wasn't working but had substantial savings. My wife got a settlement visa without any problems.

Once again I'm being presumtious but can I take it that your wife is of working age? Based on the information that you have given and presuming that you can show savings/pension that would support your wife for 2 years (income support level remember), your wife should not have a problem obtaining a settlement visa. Show your savings and pension and state that your wife intends to find work in the UK after which you will live on her income/your savings/pension.

I would not mention anything about possibly buying a house as that would have affect how long your savings would last.

Remember that you are a UK citizen and you have a right to settle here with your wife provided that no burden would be placed upon UK public funds by doing so and she meets all the other requirements. Provided that you can show that there would be no burden (and that all the other evidence is supplied), the UKBA would be extremely hard pressed to find a reason to refuse a visa that would stand up on appeal.

From what you say, a VV is not the way to go because the purpose is not for a visit. There is no visa that exactly fits your circumstances as the intention for a SV is that your wife intends to settle in the UK permanently. However, a SV is the closest because from what you say, the intention is to settle here although that might not be permanent. To avoid any problems, the statement on the application form should be that your wife intends to settle here permanently - people's circumstances can change.

Also, if your wife applies for a SV, her savings, work record, house ownership details are irrelavent as there would obviously be no requirement to show reasons to return. The application form does ask about those things and I don't really understand why but don't worry about that.
    Last edited by Flip; 13th Nov 2010 at 02:51.

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, have you considered living in the UK for the summer months and LOS in the winter. There is seasonal work available in the UK which might suit you and the wife. I'm thinking maybe camping park warden or similar. You might even get some accommodation thrown in as well. The time in LOS would be more like a holiday break and less of a drudge.
    aka Spud / aka MF

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks very much for these helpful posts. Splitting time between UK and Thailand is something I always rather fancied, but the wife has an all or nothing attitude, I really miss not working and you cannot do anything here. On the other hand she could work in the UK, we could save up more then return to Thailand. Something I will have to work at to convince her to give it a go at least.