PDA

View Full Version : Life in the UK Test

Scally
2nd Mar 2011, 21:40
Hi,

I remember a while ago a few folks posted some good websites providing practice tests for the above but I cant fint the thread.

The wife is currently studying for the test but could do with some extra tests.

Any help much appreciated...

Vinny
3rd Mar 2011, 03:10
See also KOL test Practice questions (http://www.thailand-uk.com/forums/showthread.php?9790-KOL-test-Practice-questions).

jimbojet
3rd Mar 2011, 09:21
A word to the wise.....The little Lady failed her first 2 tests when she was passing various online tests with 100% every time.
Then I worked out she was just learning them "parrot fashion" and of course they are not the same questions you get!!

She had read the offical book but not understood it, and this is vital. I think the online tests are a good aid but there is no substitution for fully understanding the subject matter.

Mind you when she did pass at the 3rd attemt she shreiked jumped up and kissed the Lady giving out the results and it was in the middle of Wimbledon library!!!

Good luck...

Scally
3rd Mar 2011, 10:37
Thanks chaps, yes we had figured out that some of the online tests are pretty rubbish, just spoke to a test centre who said that the pass mark is 18 out of 24 so i am hopeful she will pass as she has been reading that offical book constantly, it also helpinbg my knowledge of the UK as she keeps firing questions at me of which i rarely know the answer!

Tobias
3rd Mar 2011, 10:44
... it also helpinbg my knowledge of the UK as she keeps firing questions at me of which i rarely know the answer!

Then perhaps it's time for you to read the book! ;)

Tai
3rd Mar 2011, 11:48
Hi Scally,
I've passed the test a while ago. Right after that (with fresh memories of the questions) I made the test practice questions in Flash format, if you like I can forward it to you so your wife can have a go, practicing on it. But keep it in mind that there may be more than one set of test questions.

Please give me your email, if you want it.

Thanks.

brian99
3rd Mar 2011, 11:52
See also KOL test Practice questions (http://www.thailand-uk.com/forums/showthread.php?9790-KOL-test-Practice-questions).

I passed but pretty sure a few UK born residents would fail, some of the questions are silly. One on the fun test is odd-what kind of buildings are these. They are clearly medieval but the answer is 'black and white' Far too hard for immigrants IMO.

Tobias
3rd Mar 2011, 11:54
I passed but pretty sure a few UK born residents would fail ...

Not if they'd studied the book!

Scally
3rd Mar 2011, 12:19
Tobias, i am indeed readng the book and what an enlightening read it is too!

Gary & Nok
3rd Mar 2011, 13:08
And are you finding how ridiculous and irrelevant some of the questions are!

Tobias
3rd Mar 2011, 13:33
That depends on your definition of 'irrelevant' :)

Gary & Nok
3rd Mar 2011, 13:38
I suppose my definition would be "not applicable or pertinent" to actual life and living in the UK.

Tobias
3rd Mar 2011, 14:06
... the purpose of the test is also to test the applicant's understanding of English, therefore the question itself becomes relevant.

Gary & Nok
3rd Mar 2011, 14:10
Ho hum!

Scally
3rd Mar 2011, 20:11
Tobias, I agree with you that it is as much as a test of the applicants ability to read and understand english, something that I think is very important and essential for someone settling in the UK, but I suppose the could still achieve this in a book written that is maybe more relevant and reflective of life in the uk...

Scally
17th Mar 2011, 13:22
Just as an update, The wife passed the Life in the UK test first time this morning!

We have ILR appointment at the checking service in two weeks so just in time...

Thanks to those that helped

Scal

m0ntecarl0
17th Mar 2011, 13:28
well done - super news...

Gavva
17th Mar 2011, 14:46
Well done to your wife Scally, cutting it a bit close wasn't ya?! :D Very pleased for you both.

My wife will have to take the test in the near future (she's got just over a year and a half until ILR application). I'm currently writing her a 'revision guide', trying to make it easier for her to remember statistics, such as the % of black carribeans in Weston Supermare in 1904 (joking, don't think this Q will be in test). Hope she can pass.

Scally can I just ask, how is your wife's English, is she completely fluent or 50/50? How would you describe it? My wife's got good English but it's still very hard to learn and memorise all the info in the book even for a well educated Brit like myself :confused:

Gary & Nok
17th Mar 2011, 14:49
Congrats to the wife Scally. Nok failed 5 times so I know how pleased she (you) must be.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

such as the % of black carribeans in Weston Supermare in 1904 (joking, don't think this Q will be in testNot quite, it was Bogner Regis in 1927

Scally
17th Mar 2011, 16:37
Thanks chaps

Gavva,

The wife's english is pretty good, actually its very good. She works in a customer facing role so is talking to people all day and as such it has improved a lot. She also studied here so that helped massively too. I do still correct her and make repeat words when she does probounce the last letters of words...but she is getting there and is starting to use more idiomatic phrases etc. She has worked at it non stop though since he first came here.

Re the test, I am sur eyou nkow but its only chapters 2,3,4,5,6 of the book and there will not be any questions on the first and last chapters.

She has a couple of test books etc that helped greatly I think if could send them to you if you like?

Gavva
17th Mar 2011, 19:02
Thanks chaps

Re the test, I am sur eyou nkow but its only chapters 2,3,4,5,6 of the book and there will not be any questions on the first and last chapters.

She has a couple of test books etc that helped greatly I think if could send them to you if you like?

Thanks for the kind offer Scally. My wife already has the Life In UK Test book and the study guide (and the book in Thai also), which is probably what you have too?

Scally
17th Mar 2011, 19:34
yes she got a coupel of other test books from Waterstones one of which had a cd rom with aload of tests which changed the question each time you used it (from a set bank of question).

chocolate-eater
17th Mar 2011, 20:12
Hi Gavva/Scally

Wife (as you know Gavva) is in same situation. We just got the books this week and she will start studying them asap. We got the Thai/English one which I think is good but told her one she has learnt the answers in Thai she must learn them in English as the questions during the test are in English. Still think its one of the biggest loads of poo ever.

griff
17th Mar 2011, 21:42
my wife pla has successfully passed the life in the uk test at her first atempt.She has been living in the uk for 10 years mind.She did not know the question about university tuition fees.It could not have been that bad or she was lucky because she completed the test in 20 minutes.Good luck to those who still have to try this test.
ps.she bought from amazon the life in the uk test 2011 for about 5 pounds and studied it every night.

the_link
17th Mar 2011, 22:05
We have ILR appointment at the checking service in two weeks so just in time...

Well done, Mrs Scally.

I hope you are busying away counting the notes out for the ILR fee. Ouch. Though, a necessary evil.

Mrs Scally
17th Mar 2011, 22:36
Thanks guys ^ ^
I'm prety happy with the result, two weeks of hard working has paid off!
Gavva: My english is ok as my husband has said. I went to uni to do a post graduate course in england and have been working all the time since then and I just got a decent office job about a month ago. Anyway, if your wife finds it difficult to understand the book, I have a few techniques:
-Try to read and understand the questions in the test book first before reading the main book because the test book points out and highlights what you should look for in the main book so it will be easier to understand.
-Under line important information.
-Write down key words or short phrases and make sure you can understand it. Eg 1950/bus driver/west indies (in 1950 centres were set up in west indies to recruit people to drive buses).
-practice the test again and again untill you get every question right!
I know someone might say some books are not that good or that you should not use some internet prcatice tests as they are not exactly like the test questions, but I disagree I think you should read or do the test from any source as much as you can as long as you take the home office main book and the test book as your main source and point of reference.
Well, All these techniques worked for me and I hope it can help your wife. I got a few test books apart from the official home office test book if you want to have them.

Good luck
Mrs Scally

Gavva
22nd Mar 2011, 10:08
Thanks for the replies. Mr and Mrs Scally, the CD Rom sounds like a big help, they are official questions right? If you could perhaps send that to me I would be most grateful. Let me know and I can pm you my address. Are there any websites that offer practice tests from the official test questions?

Still think its one of the biggest loads of poo ever.

Couldn't agree more Choco, hope you and your wife are well. It's taking my wife a long time just to initially read through the books, let alone memorise how many seats we hold in the European Parliament, why the Huguenots came to Britain, and various statistics (half of which are no longer accurate, which I think defeats the purpose of learning this info). Which leads me onto my next question.

The study guide, LIUK Test books, etc were all written in 2007 and as far as I'm aware have not changed. Does the test still ask questions from this period? E.g. in the test is the correct answer to annual university tuition fees £3,000, as opposed to the recent change of £9,000?

Thanks again. I'll have more questions soon if you don't mind me picking your brains, but over and out for now. Ta v much.

the_link
22nd Mar 2011, 22:04
There are 2011 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_19?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=life+in+the+uk+2011&sprefix=life+in+the+uk+2011) books available, Gavva.

Gavva
23rd Mar 2011, 10:17
There are 2011 books available, Gavva.

Hi Link. Yes there are books available published in 2011 but surely the contents are exactly the same as books published in 2007. See below from UKBA website :-

"The handbook was last updated in March 2007, so you should ensure that you use the second edition when preparing for the test."

So the book my wife has, bought a couple of years ago, should still be fine to revise for the test?!?!? Can anyone confirm? Oh I hope so, no disrespect to my lovely missus but it'll take her another year just to read a newer book...:(

Scally
23rd Mar 2011, 10:30
As long as you are reading the second edition you will be fine. I would also get a copy of the official practice questions too as my wife found this very helpful.