PDA

View Full Version : [Is it possible for wife to] learn english [whilst in the UK on Visitor Visa]

demario
9th Feb 2012, 10:10
hello every one question i will be bringing my wife over to the uk this year for 6 month visit (familey visa) what i would like to do is put her on a course to learn a bit more english before we go for settlement visa but looking at the restrictions for visa it says she cannot go on any course while she is here i would be lookin at putting her on a learn direct course? has any one done this before and is it legal dont want to make it harder for future visa i thought this might be a better option for me to do as it would give her something to do while here

-Keith-
9th Feb 2012, 10:49
She's not allowed to go on a course while here on a visit visa.

demario
9th Feb 2012, 11:03
thats what i thought thanks for the reply

deland
9th Feb 2012, 11:11
She's not allowed to go on a course while here on a visit visa.Odd one really as it's not work is it! It's you spending money in here? we must have the oddest rules around I'll never get this country :confused:

KhunIanB-UK
9th Feb 2012, 11:28
Odd one really as it's not work is it!

It's studying though and they want students to apply for a student visa rather than a holiday visa. A heirarchical visa system allows transit, holiday/visit, student(limited work hours), employment, settlement etc, the restrictions get less as you progress up the heirarchy. Therefore on a settlement you can settle, work, study, holiday and transit, whereas on a visit visa you can just holiday and transit :-) Simples :-)

deland
9th Feb 2012, 11:33
I know! But for me still odd :confused:

bifftastic
9th Feb 2012, 11:54
I think they just want people to apply for the right visas for what they want to do. Same in Thailand really, they don't really encourage people to live there on Tourist visas, they want you to get the appropriate visa for your circumstances :)

-Keith-
9th Feb 2012, 15:17
The only way you will get around this and keep under the radar is by using a private tutor rather than an official course.

demario
9th Feb 2012, 15:27
i agree anything to make things harder

Gary & Nok
9th Feb 2012, 19:47
It might be worth getting her the books/CD for the Life in the UK test if she wants to make a start on her English. Nok also finds her Electronic translator/dictionary she got from LOS helps her no end.

colin244
9th Feb 2012, 22:11
TIUK ;) (in the same way as TIT)

colin 244

richardb
9th Feb 2012, 22:21
Gently, non critically and without halting the flow of the conversation , maybe by repeating the sentence in standard grammar before replying you be the tutor. No Tinglish. It can be fun and actually lead to longer and funny conversations as you talk about language .richard

deland
9th Feb 2012, 22:35
you be the tutorFun! what like teaching the misses how to drive ;)

colin244
9th Feb 2012, 22:40
I think the driving lessons would be the more dangerous option deland ;)

colin 244

deland
9th Feb 2012, 22:51
I get well stressed trying to talk with the misses as i'm always talking in that funny english/thai thing that we do, worst thing now is she's picking up on all my slang, Oh dear!

--- Update ---

I think the driving lessons would be the more dangerous option deland ;)

colin 244I did teach her afew times in thailand and she was good! mind you that was on the dust rds in the village but still she was very good.

colin244
9th Feb 2012, 22:54
Fun times ahead then mate but the Thai's texting is a hoot but you can just about decipher it with time ;)

colin 244

richardb
9th Feb 2012, 23:15
Demario

The future is a bundle of laughs. Just hug her and love 'er. Of to sleep but I leave you with:

http://thailand-uk.com/forums/showthread.php?8056-Lord-Voldermort-triumphs&highlight=voldermort

Richard

thai71
10th Feb 2012, 00:25
I agree with the private tutor is probably the way to go, but before you go that way, what is her standard of English at the moment?
As the problem with a tutor is they will teach her the way most of us natives know but dont understand!!!! so she will have no chance,
Nouns, pronouns,Verbs, adverbs,adjectives? This sadly is the way they teach English and what they are tested on?????

I suggest like we learn thai, look for free on the Internet for stuff that you press the button and here the sound,then repeat again and again untill she can understand, basic kids stuff, Johnny Red book sort of stuff we learnt as kids.

One of the best tips i can give to improve her English is get her to learn to end words!!!!! Sound crazy?But Asians dont emphasize word endings, and when learning Thai we get it wrong by emphasizing thai endings of words! its wrong.

Example, get her to say Tennis (tenni)???? we do the same with the politeness kap krap how ever you want to say it you need to just dab on the p then stop, not like phillip, ask your mrs to say that name and hear the differnce.

I Tried to help a thai female friend pass one of these offical tests, Wow i would struggle to get into England passing it! :o lucky i've a passport already by Birth rights.:D

cheers thai71

deland
10th Feb 2012, 00:41
Intresting about the end of words! i'm always saying to the misses that she forgets the end part of a word, I'll give that a try:thumb:.

--- Update ---

Johnny Red book sort of stuff we learnt as kids.?? don't remember them!

ash
10th Feb 2012, 16:27
My wife did an esol course when on a visit visa , this was accepted for ILE , that said I paid for the course

thai71
11th Feb 2012, 01:06
What ever the course name might be, i think its worth while for any farang trying to get his wife/Girlfriend here to realise in Thailand only certain places are qualified to run these courses, and most are in Bangkok, So practice is great but you need to pass the correct exam!

What im trying to help some of you guys with, is to understand how hard it is now days, so just being able to speak good English is not enough now, they now need to Read, Write and Speak near on perfect English now days to get a Marriage visa to get to stay here.

Not sure about you i could not pass an exam this hard in another language with reading and writing included, to be able to live any where else in the world? So why just cause we have opened the gates to the whole of Europe with great regret and problems do we punish the rest of the world?

cheers thai71

ddwjg
11th Feb 2012, 04:04
Thai71.
This is a partial quote from your post above.

just being able to speak good English is not enough now, they now need to Read, Write and Speak near on perfect English now days to get a Marriage visa to get to stay here.Not sure about you i could not pass an exam this hard in another language with reading and writing included,

You are posting a lot of misinformation of late. Are you intent on bringing this forum down to the level of other forums? You are talking nonesense.:mad:

This is fact. It is only required for a settlement visa of any kind, to pass the "speaking and listening" section of any test. Reading and writing is not required to be passed. Try reading up on a few things mate.

Dave.

ash
11th Feb 2012, 07:34
thai71 you're assertions about language skills and settlement are completely wrong.

The current requirements are only for speaking and listening (this will at some point almost certainly become significantly harder)

ash

-Keith-
11th Feb 2012, 13:37
He's more than wrong Ash, he's also incorrect ;)

thai71
11th Feb 2012, 13:37
Hi all,
i take it you've done one of these courses?Obviously not unless your Thai, or looked at any of the papers or practice stuff on the internet?
Ill dig out the course link practice stuff for you to look later ok.

My female Thai friend trying to get a marriage visa has failed 3 times, one of these times was last year about july, she told me from March 2011 the courses have all changed, its a lot harder, she can speak, and read write, very good English and there is a long section at the end that is writen with ex amounts of words!

Thats why im sticking to my opinion.

As for me talking nonsence?

how often do the visa situations change for us farang? if you know about Thailand you would no rules and regs can change at any time, at any cost to anyone, so lets not get petty,

hey what a lovely welcome to the forum, and when i go again to Thailand in March to live till September for my 7th year when i learn anything shall i keep it to myself? or maybe share and have the odd discussion with you on the forum?

cheers thai71

deland
11th Feb 2012, 13:51
You have to be careful on here thai71 :lol: ;) Oh and welcome!!!:wai:.

ash
11th Feb 2012, 14:49
My wife is THai and has done the courses very recently. You have been misinformed or you're deliberately being obtuse.

As to being petty most of us care about the quality of the nformation and also keeping it up to date.

If you're thai female friend has been refused three times thats a shame but unless she has applied with the wrng certificates then there are likely to be other reasons for refusal.

Enjoy your 7th year in Thailand obviously while you are their you will get a lot of experience of visa applications etc

As to the comment about Thailand in relation to visa applications to the UK the rules for Thais are the same as for those from any country which requires language tests.

ash

ddwjg
11th Feb 2012, 15:20
Thai 71. The only test in Thailand includes reading and writing, and it confuses many, which is why your Thai lady friend needs help. That part of the test does NOT need to be passed. Only the 'speaking and listening' part, for the Marriage(spouse) Settlement visa. This should have been explained to her, and obviously has not.

Of course she would say it is harder since March, because she doesn't know she only has to pass one part of the test. "Speaking and Listening".

The course work, and practice work covers a 3 part course of which she only has to pass ONE. The rest is not relevant or required.

I apologise for my earlier comment, as you and your Thai lady friend, are obviously unaware of this.

Dave.

Gary & Nok
11th Feb 2012, 15:21
There are speaking and listening and also reading and writing parts to the test, so Thai71, you are indeed correct.

Where you are wrong is that ONLY the speaking and listening part of the exam NEEDS to be passed. You will still get a mark for the reading and writing part but it is NOT relevant for a visa application.

Sorry but they are the facts as the current regulations stand at the moment.

Your friend that has taken the test 3 times could either not have passed the speaking and listening part OR she supplied the wrong certificates as part of the application OR as Keith says she failed on some other aspect of her applications.

It would be interesting for your friend to show you her refusal letter so you can see what caused the failures.

EDIT: Sorry Dave, you must be a quicker typist than me ;)

thai71
11th Feb 2012, 18:24
:banana:cheers folks,
thanks for clearing things up, yes im happy to be wrong never a problem for me as i dont ever believe i know every thing,whats the point having a writen part which must be the hardest part for a non farang to do if it gives only a few extra points?

The break down on what bits for getting a pass mark are confusing as i did not notice it by reading it myself, The course i looked at was a Canadian English writen exam! maybe this means more to some of you guys, the link is on my laptop ill try digging it out soon, im on my home pc at the moment.

Lifes about living and learning all the time,
but im a little confused as if every thing people want posted needs to be 100% correct im not going to bother posting much?

I've lived and been South east Asia mostly Thailand many times and im happy to post my experiances on things, but they are how i see things and only my opinion, and what im told by Thai people i know is taken at face value, if its wrong? mai ben rai, not a problem, lifes a learning process.

Also for being obtuse (Annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand or Difficult to understand.) I can Speak,Read and Write Thai, in Thia Script also, So im far from slow:wai:

cheers thai71

bifftastic
11th Feb 2012, 19:01
but im a little confused as if every thing people want posted needs to be 100% correct im not going to bother posting much?

I think it's fine to post things that you're not 100% sure about, otherwise how would anyone learn anything?
But you need to either be sure, or post it in the form of an opinion, such as "I thought it was..." or "I was told that..."

That way, if there are corrections to be made, they can be done without people falling out.

It also makes the thread more useful to anyone reading it for the first time. Someone, perhaps doing a general search for information who is trying to avoid the kind of forum where people just end up bickering about things rather than providing accurate information.

This forum has been a life-saver for me. I got a lot of information from other places, but this one was the one where it was all confirmed by people who had already done what I was trying to do.

I hope you do continue to post here, I'm sure you've got a lot to offer and I look forward to reading what you've got to say.

Biff

ash
11th Feb 2012, 20:30
Also for being obtuse (Annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand or Difficult to understand.) I can Speak,Read and Write Thai, in Thia Script also, So im far from slow:wai:

cheers thai71

then misinformed which is okay then:cool:

I speak and write and read several languages and I freely admit to being slow :confused:

ash

bifftastic
11th Feb 2012, 21:21
I'm sure it's quite possible for people to be obtuse in many languages. :D

thai71
11th Feb 2012, 21:49
several? more than 3 but less than 10? more time needed on practicing you wit and jokes:lol:

demario
12th Feb 2012, 20:42
got the book for her last year although she can speak english she struggles to read more so the questions in the book