PDA

View Full Version : Mega bangna open

brian99
4th May 2012, 06:49
This large shopping mall next to Ikea on Bangna trat opened yesterday. Like Ikea it has a free bus service, the mega bus from our end does a u turn at Udom Suk picks up outside 7/11 and does not stop again, unlike the Ikea bus which picks up at Central City. The mega bus appears to be a bit faster than the 20 mile an hour ikea ones. The layout is only on two floors which I like as no need to queue for lifts or negotiate endless escalators. All the usual shops including Robinson, Big C, movies, bowling, karaoke and rarely seen here, an ICE SKATING rink. I spent most of the afternoon til nine in a karaoke room seeing off the free beer and Bacardi breezers, quality of the karaoke sound is very good and there is a large bar outside of that with a glass wall where you can look at those on the ice rink.

Nothing fancy, no waterfalls or fish ponds but worth going to see. Thai ladies will love the 'Food Republic' food court opposite the cinema area, can scoff stuff from various areas- Veit, northern sausages etc. Never realised before that Ikea also sell food in a small grocery area, frozen bubble and squeek and their pizza is good so might go back that. Buses leave every half an hour. I think the whole mega place is owned, or at least has been built by the Ikea people. Could easily spend the whole day there and yesterday it was pretty busy.

sisaket
4th May 2012, 18:29
looks like i ll be getting badgered into going when im next back ...... :(

GTG
4th May 2012, 19:07
How far down Bangna Trat is it (Ikea means nowt as it wasn't there in my day!)? Hoping to be down that way in a couple of months, my old school isn't far from Central and the mate I'd be visiting lives in the same area. Might be able to join you for a beer and a song!

brian99
4th May 2012, 20:34
How far down Bangna Trat is it (Ikea means nowt as it wasn't there in my day!)? Hoping to be down that way in a couple of months, my old school isn't far from Central and the mate I'd be visiting lives in the same area. Might be able to join you for a beer and a song!

Opposite Tesco, but that probably was not there in your day either! Was the Nation tower there when you were here? lego like place, on same side about two miles up the road. Can't miss it anyway great big yellow Ikea sign. You will love the new Berkley International School next to the flying chicken restaurant, looks like Walt Disney built it.

sisaket
4th May 2012, 21:03
the clock looks very walter disney .....

colin244
4th May 2012, 23:32
Frozen bubble & squeek? :eek:

colin 244

brian99
5th May 2012, 04:41
Frozen bubble & squeek? :eek:

colin 244

They call it something else (in Swedish) had some round a Swedes house here last week.

sumrit
11th May 2012, 06:21

It's actually situated where the Bang Na Trat and Highway 9 cross each other. Coming from Chonburi leave the Bang Na Trat at the Lat Krabang exit then continue for 1-2 km and it's on your left. From Central, Bang Na stay on the lower road and take the first U turn after the highway 9 exit.

I should think that the new intersection there looks impressive from the air. It would probably make Spaghetti Junction look like a simple cross roads.

--- Update ---

Never realised before that Ikea also sell food in a small grocery area, frozen bubble and squeek and their pizza is good so might go back that.

You really thought that cardboard Ikea food was good Brian?..................By God you're easily pleased :D, either that or you've spent too long on a diet of som tam and balaa :D:D

brian99
11th May 2012, 12:45
You really thought that cardboard Ikea food was good Brian?..................By God you're easily pleased :D, either that or you've spent too long on a diet of som tam and balaa :D:D

I thought it was the furniture that was made of cardboard!

colin244
11th May 2012, 22:29
So are most Swedes and skandinavians hence not much laughter although I always put it down to the cold weather ;)

colin 244

sumrit
12th May 2012, 12:05
I thought it was the furniture that was made of cardboard!

It is................it was the broken furniture you were eating:D

brian99
12th May 2012, 15:42
So are most Swedes and skandinavians hence not much laughter although I always put it down to the cold weather ;)

colin 244

Surprising how many muslims are 'Swedish' the ones we know here are and have the oldest Thai restaurant there, even the Thai muslim lady from there that we know likes Ikea grub, so it can't be that bad.

the_link
12th May 2012, 19:20
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2141054/The-Ikea-sofa-political-prisoners-Stasi-camps.html?ITO=1490

colin244
13th May 2012, 00:16
Here is my experience of Sweden where I had a holiday (sort of once)

We (my mate and I) after arriving in Gothenberg on a Tor Line ferry (now DFDS) had what in those days were called Esso hotel vouchers where the idea was you booked the initial room and on departure to the next destination the hotel chain booked you in ahead so on arrival at next one hand over the voucher and into your room and so forth which was fine.

However our intended destination Stockholm involved 4 stops and one I had not planned on called Norkopping (think they have a team that played in some Euro football tournamant a while back) because unknown to me matey had met a girl (name witheld) on the boat and had promised to visit her at home (I was driving our hire car from the UK by the way)

In Norkopping we met up with the girl who attached me to her friend (name witheld) and off we went to mateys girls home but oh dear she lived with her parents who provided us with a meal and suggested the girls brother and I go to a bar which matey was ok with so off I went with the girls friend and brother.

The cunning plan by the girls father (name is the same as the muppet dog and he worked in a J Cloth factory) was to isolate my mate a try to fix a quick wedding while I was out of the way.

I ended up in the bar having been entered into a cherrystone spitting competition (I lost) while matey was wriggling out of a marriage he had previously consumated.

The story continues but we got away from Norkopping :nod:

Sorry it's not LOS related but remotely linked to the Swedish thread however it goes to show wherever in the world you are things can get out of control very quickly in a foreign country ;)

colin 244

Phetchy
13th May 2012, 03:54
A lucky escape Colin. Just think what might have been - instead of balmy evenings under a coconut tree, sipping an ice cold Singha and anticipating your gorgeous Thai wife preparing a delicious gaaeng khiaao waan (someday soon I hope), you could now be freezing your nuts off in an igloo waiting for Helga the Horrible to bring your dried cod's head on toast washed down with a beer costing more than a Thai coppers annual tea consumption.

dan&ploy
13th May 2012, 04:16
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/life/Let-the-mall-war-begin-30181818.html

colin244
13th May 2012, 22:31
Excellent response Phil and how true, as it turned out matey went to Manila and married a fillipino went through the visa crap and then died here in the UK from cancer (seems to be a reoccurring thing in my life :()

colin 244

indigo
14th May 2012, 19:15
I will visit Mega , when i go back :D:D