PDA

View Full Version : Bringing food into uK

PlymouthNick
27th Jun 2012, 19:12
hi, Rung wants to bing a few bits on holiday with her, if the visa is granted. Just a couple of queries. Would she allowed to bring in

Fish Sauce
Pad Thai Stir fry sauce
Pork flavour food seasoning
instant noodles minced pork flavour
instant noodles pad kee mao flavour
instant flat noodles clea soup

thanks

N Barton
27th Jun 2012, 19:28
i am sure others will correct if i am wrong but i believe as long as they are factory sealed and unopened then shouldn't be a problem.

To be honest the items you have listed are very easily bought in the UK

9851colle
27th Jun 2012, 19:31
Agree with Mr Barton on this as to all of the food stuffs listed can be bought in an Asia shop in the UK

Mick

PlymouthNick
27th Jun 2012, 19:37
Yes they are sealed. There aren't that many Asian food shops in Plymouth!!

GTG
27th Jun 2012, 19:39
As above! Rung may not believe you but she will be pleasantly surprised. When we first came over to the UK I unwittingly carried a 10 kg bag of rice which my wife was convinced would not be 'same-same' in England. That taught me not to just leave her to do all the packing!

bifftastic
27th Jun 2012, 20:08
Yes all those things will be fine to bring in.

Just wondering what pad kee mao is though :) looks to me like fried drunk :lol:

prikphet
27th Jun 2012, 20:40
Yourr correct Biff - Drunken noodles....one of my favs

N Barton
27th Jun 2012, 21:34

should get what you need here

http://88oriental.com/

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

not sure if i have developed a stutter or if there is an echo in here !!!

- - - Updated - - -

not sure if i have developed a stutter or if there is an echo in here !!!

colin244
27th Jun 2012, 23:59
Hiccups mate (actually a reoccuring problem with posts and happening rather frequently on here)

colin 244

- - - Updated - - -

Hiccups mate (actually a reoccuring problem with posts and happening rather frequently on here)

colin 244

- - - Updated - - -

I state my case :lol:

colin 244

bifftastic
28th Jun 2012, 00:00
Yourr correct Biff - Drunken noodles....one of my favs

:) :thumb:

KhunIanB-UK
28th Jun 2012, 07:53
I would get her to leave the nam pla, what if it breaks in the case? Easily bought here and you might even find it in your local big chain supermarket now.

vanbobble
28th Jun 2012, 08:16
As above! Rung may not believe you but she will be pleasantly surprised. When we first came over to the UK I unwittingly carried a 10 kg bag of rice which my wife was convinced would not be 'same-same' in England. That taught me not to just leave her to do all the packing!

brilliant! you must have been cursing under your breath..

livingwithathaigirl
28th Jun 2012, 12:43

Even the main supermarkets stock fish sauce these days. So I'd leave the fish sauce out.

And unless you stop her, she may want to bring what turns out to be soy sauce. (Sounds like sii i-ew). Of course, that's also available in every supermarket. She won't know that the vinegar you use with pad thai isn't easily available though so you might want to bring a small bottle of that instead or buy it from a special shop here.

Has she got a lot of other stuff to pack? She would fly into London, wouldn't she? In which case you could go to Chinatown before or after picking her up. They definitely have 'Rot dii' (the pork seasoning she'll want). They have a lot of Mama noodles - not 100% sure if they have all the above flavours. I know they have Tom Yum flavour for sure, not sure about the minced pork one but that's a popular flavour so they should.

prioritypress
28th Jun 2012, 14:48
Try Wing Yip...for example type in "mama" here:

http://www.wingyipstore.co.uk/searchmain.php

Nick

Belfastmatt
28th Jun 2012, 15:55
Quickest easiest way -

http://www.thai-food-online.co.uk/shopping/shopdisplaycategories.asp

Get her to have a look here. Its in Thai and will deliver everything to your door. Have virtually everything, even fresh herbs etc.

She`d be better off using her bag allowance with other things than food to be honest mate!

bifftastic
28th Jun 2012, 16:29
We brought most of the above list into the UK, fish sauce included, no problems at all :)

Wolfy
28th Jun 2012, 16:49
Tell her to smuggle a Jar of Stinky Mud Fish in her handbag onto the Plane. When on board take the lid off. This should guarantee she gets 3 seats to herself !!

-Keith-
28th Jun 2012, 16:53
You've got two Chinese stores (K.W. Foods) plus 888Oriental in Plymouth. I'd be very surprised if they don't stock Thai food as well, as there's quite a big Thai community in the City.

Greg / Pairin
28th Jun 2012, 19:41
I'd be very surprised if they don't stock Thai food as well,

Me too, I have always food the chinese stores to have a wider range of produce and products and tend to be cheaper too.

As we are nowhere near any chinese or thai food stores, with the nearest being nearly a 3 hour round trip we tend to always use this site.

http://www.raanthai.co.uk/

Gary & Nok
28th Jun 2012, 19:53
Even the main supermarkets stock fish sauce these days.
They have a lot of Mama noodles - not 100% sure if they have all the above flavours. I know they have Tom Yum flavour for sure, not sure about the minced pork one but that's a popular flavour so they should.Even Tesco (the bigger ones) stock Mama noodles. I buy Nok hers by the box load.

My mate lives in Plymouth with his Thai wife and they have no problem finding all sorts of stuff for her down there.

melnathan
28th Jun 2012, 22:03
Wolfy can you put me out of my misery, what is stinky mud fish. It has been mentioned many times before. All I get from Jan is I don't know English.
What type of fish is it, where does it live and why is it stinky. Many thanks

Melnathan

macdaddy2x
28th Jun 2012, 23:03
What's the go with fresh fruit and such?

Eg. Green mango.

Phetchy
29th Jun 2012, 02:41
Enjoy....................
http://www.thaiguidetothailand.com/exotic-food/pla-ra-fermented-fish-smells-bad-great-taste/

SDM
29th Jun 2012, 04:27
The only thing I'm bring over are some cola slurpies from 7, unless you can get them in the UK now.

S

Wolfy
29th Jun 2012, 04:57
Cola Slurpies from 7 ?

Melnathan...

A jar of Mud-fish, it stinks :crazy:
The Mudfish is a fish that lives in Mud. And after fermenting it stinks. (see Phetchy's link)

Not sure it's the same stuff but you'll see some Thai's dipping their slices of Mango in something similar, a smaller Green Jar (?) Mai normally offers to kiss me after eating as such. I always decline her offer.:eek:

SDM
29th Jun 2012, 05:10
Cola Slurpies from 7 ?

I'm not keen on the strawberry one, it's too sweet.

S

Wolfy
29th Jun 2012, 05:17
I'll have to google.

- - - Updated - - -

4885 Gotcha SDM.

Slurpee. "Brain Freezer" !!!

Phetchy
29th Jun 2012, 05:20
I don't mind the stinky fish. I really like anchovies on a home made pizza but they are quite pricey over here. A few dollops of puréed mudfish (well-sieved - I can't be doing with bones and heads) does the job perfectly well. I'm the same with durian, the smell is off-putting but once you get it past your nose, it's quite nice.

Wolfy
29th Jun 2012, 05:28
I like Durian Phil but i wouldn't put it on my Pizza.

PlymouthNick
29th Jun 2012, 09:55
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will look at KW foods and oriental before she comes.

I know there are a few Thai people around Plymouth as a few people from work say they know some, but I don't know any myself.

SDM
29th Jun 2012, 11:09
I'll have to google.

- - - Updated - - -

4885 Gotcha SDM.

Slurpee. "Brain Freezer" !!!

Thats the one !

S

colin244
29th Jun 2012, 23:00
A jar of Mud-fish, it stinks :crazy:

Cerainly does Wolfy and just got off the phone to Dao who had got some at a very low price (probably out of date stuff but with this product it probably doesn't matter ;))

colin 244

melnathan
29th Jun 2012, 23:09
Jan tells me you can buy stinky mud fish at Win Yip and believe it or not we have some in the fridge. Heaven help us

Melnathan

caller
29th Jun 2012, 23:34
I've never been to a Thai / Oriental store here which doesn't stock it, or varieties on a theme!

colin244
29th Jun 2012, 23:45
Hoo Hing has several varieties of it a bit like peanut butter (smooth or crunchy) or in the case of Pla .... whatever it is (head and bones in or not) Wifey goes for the bones in one :(

colin 244

Wolfy
30th Jun 2012, 13:14
I know there are a few Thai people around Plymouth as a few people from work say they know some, but I don't know any myself.

Nick when i stay in Plymouth i usually aim for the Quality Hotel up on the Hoe. There's a nice looking Thai Restaurant up near there called Thai Palace. Also down by the entrance to the Barbican area there's another called The Thai House.

Have you tried them ? Are they any good ?

PlymouthNick
30th Jun 2012, 17:01
I haven't tried them myself, but when or if Rung gets here we will try them out.

Phetchy
30th Jun 2012, 19:03
Nick, if you can get a couple of pounds of sprats, some salt and a little apple cider - chuck it in a food whizzer and leave it for a couple of months, I reckon you're halfway there. Let us know how it goes.

storm1fishing
30th Jun 2012, 21:13
OK , my ten cents worth

''PRRRAAAA'' , or ''Padek'' , is very easy to make , according to her that must be obeyed.

Rub your fish with plenty of salt , then leave covered in a plastic container.

After about two weeks you burn dried rice (leftover sticky rice that has gone hard) in a pan , and then you pound it in a pestle and mortar until fine.
You then add this to the fish , and then put the fish in jar's.
Stack the jar's on a shelf , and leave for at least six months.

Invite the rest of the local thai lady mafia around and enjoy.:blush:

Phetchy
30th Jun 2012, 21:29
Stack the jar's on a shelf , and leave for at least six months.

Sounds like a good idea Colin. I hear that the Caribbean is quite nice at this time of the year.

prikphet
30th Jun 2012, 21:43
Nick - save yourself a few quid, take her to the oriental section at Tesco's first - they do most things nowadays...

Wolfy
1st Jul 2012, 08:31
Nick, Impress your girl with a nice Chicken Massaman when she gets here.

Sainsbury's now offer their own Massaman Paste, a bit pricey at £1.66 but not many Supermarkets sell it. Their Coconut Milk is also very pricey at £1.99 so get that from Aldi's for only 79p.

All you need to add to the paste is a few peanuts, chicken and coconut milk. Get your rice from Home Bargains, 49p for a microwaveable bag, a lot cheaper than Uncle Ben's and tastes just as good.

Just a bit of advice on the chicken. Use thighs and leave on the bone when cooking. Thighs are tastier than breasts.

If you leave it cooking on a low heat when you go to pick her up from the airport (one of those slow cooker's would be useful) there'll be a nice aroma in the house when you get back and open the front door.

Sainbury's Massaman Paste from their "Taste the Difference" Range and Nectar Points too !!

bifftastic
1st Jul 2012, 09:04
If I gave my wife uncle ben's rice I think she'd divorce me! Cook your own rice. It's not difficult.

I have recently persuaded Mrs Tastic that rice other than that from Thailand is palatable, we are currently in a Basmati phase which I predict will last as long as the bag of Basmati rice does! :)

N Barton
1st Jul 2012, 09:17
we are currently in a Basmati phase

No, thats just not Right !!!
I am all in favour of mixed race marriages, but mixed rice meals - NO WAY !!

Jasmine goes with Thai
Basmati goes with Indian
Arborio makes Risotto
Chinese the cheapest short grain they can get hold of
Broken goes to the dog !!!

Thats not a Thai bias, i have tried my left over Indians with a bowl of Hom Mali and it just doesn't work

Gary & Nok
1st Jul 2012, 09:28
i have tried my left over Indians with a bowl of Hom Mali and it just doesn't workThat's your problem there then, left overs.

Try fresh Basmati and it works fine. Nok has been using Basmati for years now and seems to prefer it to 'Thai' rice. She can have whatever she wants, it makes no difference to me, but that is what she chooses.

The only time she sometimes has a change (if she really wants to be 'Thai') is if she wants to make sticky rice. But normally it is made with Basmati as well.

25Kg bags from the Indian shop are a damn site cheaper than Wing Yip Thai rice as well.

the_link
1st Jul 2012, 09:55
Agreed, Gary. My wife has no problem with Basmati and we buy 5kg bag from Tesco for £5.

Thai rice is very expensive.

N Barton
1st Jul 2012, 10:01
Thai rice is very expensive.

Tight gits !!

£13.99 for a 10 kg bag not exactly bank breaking

the_link
1st Jul 2012, 10:06
If it's easy for you to get, N Barton, fine. But much easier and cheaper for us to buy basmati from the local tesco.

Phetchy
1st Jul 2012, 10:12
Even cheaper for us. Wan's mum gets a decent crop from her paddyfields but for some reason she keeps it in her kitchen as opposed to one of those purpose built wooden sheds on legs with slatted doors.

Gary & Nok
1st Jul 2012, 10:30
5kg bag from Tesco for £5.:eek: No Indian shops near you then Link?

Tight gits !!

£13.99 for a 10 kg bag not exactly bank breaking25 Kg Basmati at any of the hundred or so local Indian shops, £20.
It was a few months ago (25 Kg takes a while to get through) so might be more expensive now.

bifftastic
1st Jul 2012, 10:50
No, thats just not Right !!!
I am all in favour of mixed race marriages, but mixed rice meals - NO WAY !!

Jasmine goes with Thai
Basmati goes with Indian
Arborio makes Risotto
Chinese the cheapest short grain they can get hold of
Broken goes to the dog !!!

Thats not a Thai bias, i have tried my left over Indians with a bowl of Hom Mali and it just doesn't work

:lol:
I don't care much for rules. :)

Frogster1953
1st Jul 2012, 11:31
Re the "Mud Fish"...

My wife has just informed me that she has obtained two jars of the home made extra smelly stuff, been triple wraped and stuffed somewhere in her suitcase along with a selection of leaves, roots and herbs.... ready for our return on Tuesday.

The only question now is Red or Green lane on arrival ? (if the dogs don't go stupid first).

Kev

Wolfy
1st Jul 2012, 11:54
You'll have to be careful bringing Dogs back. I'd check the rules if i were you.

Your Veggies and stinky fish shouldn't be a problem. Especially the Stinky Fish. Even if you get stopped, one whiff of that stuff and the guard won't be in a hurry to confiscate anything.

Gary & Nok
1st Jul 2012, 12:10
The only question now is Red or Green lane on arrival ?Never see anyone going down the Red lane.
As long as the amount of each item is not too much you will have nothing to declare.

Nok always brings a suitcase of stuff and last January was stopped and I thought oh god! but no, no problem at all after looking at all her chillies, lemon grass, lime leaves, garlic, ginger, papaya, and god knows what else.
No fresh meat or fish so we were on our way, after re-packing everything.

the_link
1st Jul 2012, 12:31
:eek: No Indian shops near you then Link?

Plenty, Gary. Will have to have a gander at the mini-mart round the corner and see if there's a better deal.

caller
1st Jul 2012, 12:58
No Indian shops near you then Link?

In my experience, these usually sell papaya cheaper than the Thai shops as well.

Gary & Nok
1st Jul 2012, 13:20
But according to Nok, even though she does buy them, these are not as good as the Thai shop ones.

caller
1st Jul 2012, 14:50
But according to Nok, even though she does buy them, these are not as good as the Thai shop ones.

Heh-heh! Well they wouldn't be, would they? ;)

bifftastic
1st Jul 2012, 15:02
If its home made stuff. The red lane through customs is the correct way to proceed. If you go through the green channel and they open your case and find it you could be in for a fine for not declaring it. If you go red and it's not permitted in the country they'll just take it off you.

jimmbo60
1st Jul 2012, 16:45
Sainsbury's now offer Their Coconut Milk is also very pricey at £1.99 so get that from Aldi's for only 79p.

Sainsburys have sticky rice you can cook yourself 485g £2.10 quite nice
ASDA do the same coconut milk as Sainsburys for £1.00 full fat and a heathly option also.
Mangos are really cheap at the moment I am livin on mango and sticky rice.

Anyone know where I can buy Palm sugar

Wolfy
1st Jul 2012, 16:56
On a pre-wedding Diet Jimmbo ?

How are you coping with being here and not there ? I'm finding it really difficult at the moment. I'm completely bored out of my brains.

prikphet
1st Jul 2012, 17:06
Jimmbo, Palm sugar - any Oriental food shop will be pleased to accept your fine silver coins.

jimmbo60
1st Jul 2012, 17:11
I am hanging in there Wolfy. Sorry to hear you are finding it difficult it does seem to get harder to settle on each return. Anything I can do to help just yell, or yell at:angel:
I am lucky that Nat gets up very early in the morning and we say good morning/goodnight and we are both in jobs where we can skype/chat a lot in the day. The weekends skype minimum 8 hours per day.

I am bored with a rewarding job here (:crazy::shrug:), my head is well and truely over there. I am exploring an interesting idea with some good people at the moment and thats keeping my head going (and mango and sticky rice of course)

I feel keeping busy is a help but time does go slow.

hang in there mate the time until you are back will come around faster than you think.

prikphet
1st Jul 2012, 18:07
The weekends skype minimum 8 hours per day.

Wow ! What do you find to talk about for that length of time !?!? I guess I inherited my old man's phone mannerism "Hello, Yes, Bye"...

the_link
1st Jul 2012, 18:11
Wow ! What do you find to talk about for that length of time !?!?

I don't want to think about what's going on during Jimmbo's eight-hour skype session. :o

Wolfy
1st Jul 2012, 18:16
4901 Darling ....

jimmbo60
1st Jul 2012, 18:17
It s all about stamina boys:lol: Like a good lad I listen mostly

Gary & Nok
1st Jul 2012, 18:52
Some of my best chats... on second thoughts :blush:

colin244
1st Jul 2012, 23:05
Thighs are tastier than breasts.

I think that one is an oh err missus Mr Wolf ;)

colin 244

the_link
22nd Jul 2012, 15:02
Even the main supermarkets stock fish sauce these days. So I'd leave the fish sauce out.

My wife told me a few days ago, and I've no reason to disbelieve her, that in LOS there are examples of fake fish sauce on sale.

Blimey, what are the ingredients exactly in the fake sauce? :(

SDM
22nd Jul 2012, 15:13
Fake fish ? 5555556

the_link
22nd Jul 2012, 15:27
Very clever, SDM, but from someone who appeared to be gradually garnering a little support on the tedious thread, I can now see the point of 'tedious' and no help, whatsoever, unless it's to your benefit.

It was a serious question. :(

Gary & Nok
22nd Jul 2012, 15:36
what are the ingredients exactly in the fake sauce?Perhaps it is not 'fake' in the way I think you mean it. Perhaps it is Fish Sauce but a veggie option (http://www.veggieboards.com/t/5004/fake-fish-sauce-for-an-authentic-asian-taste).

bifftastic
22nd Jul 2012, 15:39
Link mate, seeing as you are currently in Thailand, and you want to know what's in the 'fake' fish sauce, why don't you have a look on the bottle? :)

the_link
22nd Jul 2012, 15:43
Perhaps it is not 'fake' in the way I think you mean it.

Thanks, Gary. Possibly, and possibly lost in translation from the good lady wife. But I'm pretty sure she meant that the product is being sold as genuine fish sauce in some instances.

- - - Updated - - -

...and you want to know what's in the 'fake' fish sauce, why don't you have a look on the bottle? :)

I haven't seen the evidence, mate. :)

Gary & Nok
22nd Jul 2012, 15:49
Just asked Nok but she has no idea. She said there are cheap brands that are not too good but have to be OK if you not have money :nod:

vanbobble
22nd Jul 2012, 20:04
the Mrs wants to know if she can bring pawpaw fruit when she comes..? if so i envisage a couple kilos of clothing and 20 kilos of pawpaw fruit arriving

bifftastic
22nd Jul 2012, 20:19
I don't think she can. As far as I'm aware it's ok to bring things that have been packaged. Branded things from shops. Fresh fruit and veggies I don't think so.

- - - Updated - - -

Just had a quick google. Have a look here http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/travel-customs/bringing-plants.pdf

vanbobble
22nd Jul 2012, 20:31
thanks biff.. just taken a look and it doesnt seem to be very clear - seems to suggest she could bring 2kg of fruit

Gary & Nok
22nd Jul 2012, 21:12
Nok brings fresh stuff in, has been stopped for bag check and nothing said.

bifftastic
22nd Jul 2012, 21:15
I would check first. The safest option, which we did when we arrived at heathrow at the end of May this year, is to go through the red channel at customs and ask them.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what they told us as there was no one there! Just a sign next to a telephone saying that we should call if we needed assistance. We didn't. :)

Tribal Fusion
22nd Jul 2012, 22:12
I've been the green lane twice, each time with some fresh veg, fresh fruit and some rotten stinky fish with chilli. I had already worked out a cunning plan, the large suitcase with the fruit and veg, was her suitcase with all her clothes in, the sports bags were mine, with all my clothes, if she had got stopped, then I would have said to the customs man, that big suitcase is hers, nothing to do with me and they said chivalry was dead!

colin244
22nd Jul 2012, 22:40
possibly lost in translation from the good lady wife. But I'm pretty sure she meant that the product is being sold as genuine fish sauce in some instances.

Probably a cheap copy of a major brand link similar to Aldi's products that look the same bottle/packet but a slight variant on the name.

Just a guess.

colin 244

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, I can't tell you what they told us as there was no one there!

:lol:

colin 244

brian99
23rd Jul 2012, 03:35
Nok brings fresh stuff in, has been stopped for bag check and nothing said.

In NZ and OZ it's a heavy fine for just one apple off the plane, no excuses. They are very hot on keeping out unwanted insects and infections-UK seems to allow anything in.

zoots
23rd Jul 2012, 05:55
I used this link and also rang them up for my questions, found them very helpful
http://importdetails.defra.gov.uk/Default.aspx?Location=None&Module=IDDSearch

bifftastic
23rd Jul 2012, 12:24
In NZ and OZ it's a heavy fine for just one apple off the plane, no excuses. They are very hot on keeping out unwanted insects and infections-UK seems to allow anything in.
NZ and OZ have very delicate eco systems that evolved totally separately over hundreds of thousands of years which could be ruined by a single stray bacteria. Not the same in Europe.

the_link
23rd Jul 2012, 12:36
If you do enter the UK and are not certain, go through the red channel and declare. Otherwise, you leave yourself open to a fine. Yes, you'll get away with it on many an occasion, but, ultimately, up to you.

You could also mark your card on future returns if caught out.

colin244
23rd Jul 2012, 21:50
On the apple in Australia one my mother had taken an apple from her prize fruit tree when she went to visit her cousin in Perth but on arrival the customs said no apples to go in so she ate it there and then (she was a sprightly 65 then) but they confiscated the core :D surely any germs/bacteria etc would then have entered the country smuggled in her body :lol:

colin 244

caller
24th Jul 2012, 00:18
I got serious grief entering Darwin very early one morning a few years or so back. If easily bored, look away now.

I vaguely recollect I was flying from somewhere boring for a tourist, such as Singapore, it was my x'th trip. The Qantas flight was miserable, it was a bumpy flight and the flight crew were out of kilter. Darwin was a favourite destination and I knew the flight time. I looked out of the window on cue and saw the lights of the town, we seemed pretty low. An announcement was then made that the flight crew would be collecting the remnants of the last meal before landing. I tapped one of the crew on their shoulder and pulled up the blind - thankfully its the only time I've seen a look of panic on a crew members face. Everything went into overdrive before a perfect landing, with everything stashed away with a nano second to spare.

Before the trip, my then English girlfriend, not travelling with me, persuaded me to buy a poxy, far too big and heavy samsonite suitcase. So there I was, about 05.30 or so, the only flight in at that time, cardi in hand, fresh from asia with this whopping heavy and far too large suitcase. Guess who got pulled? I could see them salivating as I was queueing through passport control - I knew my fate.

And so it happened, step this way please sir. Half the suitcase was empty as I used to travel as their summer was ending and ours had yet to begin. I always came back with good offers on shorts, shirts and general summer wear and so on. Years later I still have some of this stuff and some actually still fits me - must have stretched with washing I guess? Anyone else got a genuine 'okanui' shirt - you surprise me?

So I got the 3rd degree and it was warm and stuffy and they were ripping me apart and I was tired and knew I was 100% legit, as I'm quite boring like that, and they were seriously hacked off / bored, especially with my hacked off British attitude and not being best best pleased after a crap flight and being seriously tired, so I was seriously hacking them off.

So after what seemed an eternity, they finally came across the packet of boiled sweets - unopened.

Well, thats when it really kicked off! Seemingly the whole of Australias eco system was threatened by my little unopened packet of boiled sweets! I really hacked them off as a smug Brit protesting my innocence about committing such a henious crime as the illegal importation of food! I recall grandly pointing out, with obvious superiority that in my Country, if I wanted to buy food, I went to a food shop, and that if I wanted some sweets or such like, I went to a sweet shop and couldn't whatever their stupid antipodean heads have between their ears understand the difference?

Anyway, these worthies, of whom there numbered about six, decided I had to pay a fine. By this stage I was prepared to be taken away in a straight jacket! But ultimately was calmed down and directed where to pay the fine, 'just through that door sir, pay your fine and you will be on your way', so I headed towards the door, shoved through it with all the venom I could muster - and found myself charging into the arrivals hall!

Once I regained some composure, I was tempted to open the packet of sweets there and then and suck on one with orgasmic delight, but imagining they were still watching, laughing their bored heads off, simply turned, licked my finger and signalled the figure '1' as in 1-0 to you and as speedily as I could, with all due gratitude, walked on to the taxi rank.

I then had the misfortune of securing the most grumpy, miserable 'ocker' cabbie I have ever experienced, not helped by the fact I was seriously exhausted - and when I finally got to my hotel and identified myself, I was told, 'you're very welcome, but we were expecting you yesterday'........

Edit - its late, so many typos!

Gary & Nok
24th Jul 2012, 17:20
-UK seems to allow anything in.And not just food ;)

Tobias
27th Jul 2012, 11:03
Mr SDM and Mr the_link - I've noticed there is a little clash of personality between you chaps and in one or two topics there appears to be some animosity simmering below the service. May I suggest you ignore each other please and not let this evolve in to an argument.

Mr SDM, I've removed your post above as it was becoming unnecessarily argumentative and is entirely off topic.

Many thanks for your cooperation.

SDM
27th Jul 2012, 11:56
No problem, but it was only a response as you would have seen. Maybe in the interest of fairness you should delete the post that it addressed since it was also argumentative and of no value.

I have a copy so if anyone wants to see it, PM me.

S

the_link
27th Jul 2012, 12:19
Thanks, Tobias.

Extends the hand of friendship to SDM. :shake:

bifftastic
27th Jul 2012, 12:29
I got serious grief entering Darwin very early one morning a few years or so back....

....'you're very welcome, but we were expecting you yesterday'........

Edit - its late, so many typos!

Excellent story! Thank you :)

SDM
27th Jul 2012, 12:55
Extends the hand of friendship to SDM. :shake:

I am certainly happy to accept that and certainly never intended my posts to be viewed as personal attacks, I just try to reply in kind.

S

Tobias
27th Jul 2012, 12:57
I am certainly happy to accept that and certainly never intended my posts to be viewed as personal attacks ...

... and with this let's draw a line under the matter.

Many thanks gentleman :thumb: :wai:

Gary & Nok
27th Jul 2012, 12:58

bifftastic
27th Jul 2012, 13:02