PDA

View Full Version : Get eating Mangosteen

handyman
11th Aug 2012, 10:54
I love the different fruits over here ... Recently started eating a few of these

Mangosteen. Looked up this fruit and came across an interesting article about the health benefits :thumb:

http://www.engineeredlifestyles.org/mangosteen.html

thongchai
11th Aug 2012, 11:01
Just started selling them in asda aswell

KhunIanB-UK
11th Aug 2012, 11:20
Looks like something the Tellitubbies would eat from that photo :help:

Wolfy
11th Aug 2012, 11:28
What's that other funny looking fruit called ? It's got white flesh inside with black specks ?

handyman
11th Aug 2012, 11:36
Fruit of red pitaya (Dragon fruit in Asia) Hylocereus undatus.

Martin & Jin
11th Aug 2012, 13:21
Jin & I can easily get through a kilo or more of mangosteens at a sitting - lovely taste but can't be kept for long, which is why we pig-out when we buy them :) .

The Dragon fruit is the fruit of a climbing cactus. When I first met it, I called it er-man-korn but now am a bit more accurate with gow-man-gaawn. Quite nice in small doses.

livingwithathaigirl
11th Aug 2012, 14:24
I love mangosteens - one of my favourite fruits in Thailand. Actually, the fruits are a rare thing that I miss (though the missus finds the fruit here exotic!) Mangosteen, jackfruit, durian, lychees...

Dragonfruit are a bit bland - a bit like kiwifruit. Starfruit are very refreshing on a hot day!

I bought my dad some mangosteen wine when we went back. I wouldn't recommend it...:lol:

the_link
11th Aug 2012, 14:41
My wife's quite partial to jackfruit topped with sticky rice. It seems to work.

N Barton
11th Aug 2012, 14:54
Absolutely love the fruit in Thailand
My favourites (spelled how Jumpa says them) include:-
Mankoot
Lamyai
Gno
Chompou
Lamoot
and of course Mamuang

colin244
11th Aug 2012, 15:55
The Dragon fruit is the fruit of a climbing cactus. When I first met it, I called it er-man-korn but now am a bit more accurate with gow-man-gaawn. Quite nice in small doses.

I first met this stuff in a fruit salad on a TG flight :)

colin 244

prikphet
11th Aug 2012, 16:55
I seem to be able to eat any fruit except stuff grown in this country nowadays (except Kiwi fruits), my throat gets all itchy as if I've got hay fever - Cherries being one of the worst offenders, never used to happen I often wonder why?

colin244
11th Aug 2012, 21:25
Well prikphet I'm allergic to strawberrys and how un british is that? appears my mother with me inside her went to a "pick your own strawberry farm" and pigged out so much she came out in a rather red blotchy rash which she has passed onto me unknowingly of course ;)

The peculiar thing is she can now eat them without a problem but I can't :confused: (maybe will change when I'm 80 years old like her :lol:)

colin 244

maokaang
17th Aug 2012, 06:09
Dragonfruit are a bit blandThe white fleshed variety certainly are.

We have some dragon fruit cacti climbing among a row of Jasminum trees at the side of our house. The fruit from those has a purple red flesh and, unlike their white fleshed cousins, are far from bland and very tasty.

Wolfy
17th Aug 2012, 07:24
Maokaang, can you put a video on of yourself enjoying one ?

If you aren't sure how to do it, pm me.