PDA

View Full Version : Malting Rice? For beer

richardb
26th Oct 2012, 00:57
Ok Beer is malted grain and hops. Malting is when you get the grain let it geminate so it develops the enzymes that turn starch to sugar so the yeast can ferment it then toast it for some flavour. Mostly we normally malt Barley.

Rice is used in beers like Budweiser but not as the malt.

Sake is rice wine.

Can you malt rice? Then add hops and make beer?

Richard

Thaddeus
26th Oct 2012, 05:58
Can you malt rice? Then add hops and make beer?

Richard

No idea, wouldn't have a clue where to buy hops here, that would be my first stumbling block.

bifftastic
26th Oct 2012, 13:52
Beer Lao is made from rice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beerlao

Probably not the only one, I just remember reading about it the other day. :)

Phetchy
27th Oct 2012, 03:13
My wife's aunty got me on to some stuff called 'Khao Mahk' ข้าวหมาก? She puts a heap of rice in a pot with some warm water and sprinkles yeast over it, covers it and leaves it for a few days. The yeast starts it fermenting and makes a sort of sloppy rice pudding that tastes of Lao Khao. The longer it's left, the stronger it tastes. It also sells in the local market for 6 Baht a serving. Lovely jubbly!

Thaddeus
27th Oct 2012, 05:47
As far as I know 'Khao Mahk' ข้าวหมาก is Thai for 'Yeast'

'Sato' is the more common name around my way, best made with sticky rice.

[MODERATOR EDIT: The content of this post has been edited to remove the unnecessary quote of the entire previous post. Please see this topic (http://thailand-uk.com/forums/showthread.php?9081-Using-quotes-subject-titles-and-abbreviations-in-the-forums) for more information regarding use of the 'Quote' feature when posting in the forums. Thank you for your cooperation.]

Simon Parry
27th Oct 2012, 10:40
I know it as sato too.
According to Mrs P yeast is ''chea'' and khao makh means something like ''marinated rice''.
I have only had it made with sticky rice. Very drinkable and packs a punch that creeps up on you for sure.
Used to drink lao khao quite a bit too - a couple of people in the village distill it and it was 35 baht for a bag wrapped up in newspaper. I like the Thai way of passing a single shot glass round a group - controls the speed at which you get legless, although that of course is the inevitable outcome.
When I bought some I would always get my dear departed mother-in-law some too. She used to put a big dollop of honey in to it - its very nice that way. She was no alcy but she used to keep a bottle under her bed. I used to love it when there was a party and she and the other yais got together and knocked a few back, much to my wife's embarressment and annoyance and my amusement.

johnb
27th Oct 2012, 14:32
These days they also do a sanitised version of sato in BigC/Tesco Lotus. At around 30 baht for a 630 bottle and 7-8 % alcohol, it's a cheap way to take in a drink or two. Chilled right down it is at least as palatable as cheap, imported white wine selling for 4 or 500 a bottle. At least that's my excuse!

Thaddeus
27th Oct 2012, 18:35
These days they also do a sanitised version of sato in BigC/Tesco Lotus.

That is Siam Sato, it isn't bad, but you have to mix it with something or it is just too sickly sweet, so, saprite or soda needs adding, it's around 8.2% proof and in it's pure form has that drunk from the feet up effect.

richardb
28th Oct 2012, 16:20
Beer Lao is made from rice. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beerlao

Hmm. So if it does not taste just of Hops they must be malting the rice. I also wonder how they lager it as lager yeasts and fermentation are at lower temperatures ( like German winters ).

A lot to learn.

My future Mastermind subject might be alcohols of asia .

Richard

colin244
29th Oct 2012, 01:07
Whatever the ingenious Thais seemed to have cracked it :nod:

colin 244

Thaddeus
29th Oct 2012, 03:29
Whatever the ingenious Thais seemed to have cracked it :nod:

colin 244

You can guarantee a Monk is involved somewhere, same the world over.

johnb
5th Nov 2012, 14:40
Thad,
Acting on your advice to mix sato with something, I just drank a bottle, with a little help from a friend, mixed with Schweppes tonic water. It was really rather palatable.
JohnB

richardb
6th Nov 2012, 01:17
So basically there is no scientific reason I cant grab a few kgs of the Thai rice under my kitchen table add a UK style bitter yeast, not forgetting that our house is not that hot so I better make sure all my vessels are v clean as it will take longer to ferment and come up with this Sato gear.

Not Beer but a start.

Richard