PDA

View Full Version : ESOL course for ILR Advice Required

Mister Ken
9th Jan 2013, 13:18
My wife(on FLR visa at the moment) has recently started(January 7th) Langside College in Glasgow on an ESOL with Citizenship course. My question is does she have to pass tests in both listening/speaking and reading/writing or just the speaking/listening part? Her reading/writing is rudimentary and I worry that come October 2013 when the new rules come in she wont have progressed enough. Would a letter be sufficient from Langside to state she is learning and has improved a level or is the test certificate pass the crucial thing for ILR? The lecturers are very vague. What are the chances she would get to a sufficient reading/writing standard by October? Any advice much appreciated. The qualification required is SQA Access 2.

toddmeister
9th Jan 2013, 14:15
I was under the impression that the ESOL course were being made obsolete for the purposes of ILR and are not going to be accepted after the October changes? I could be wrong, but I thought it was going to be the new B1 level test, plus the LITUK only??

Cheers
Steve

Mister Ken
9th Jan 2013, 17:41
Yes, from October 2013 its going to be very difficult for my wife to pass the B1 and LITUK it could take many years. All we can do is keep paying the huge FLR fees every 2 years. It is all very depressing and who knows they may scrap FLR visas and my wife would be thrown out the country meanwhile terrorists stay in the UK. You couldn't make it up. Rant over.

-Keith-
9th Jan 2013, 18:07
who knows they may scrap FLR visas and my wife would be thrown out the country meanwhile terrorists stay in the UK. You couldn't make it up. Rant over.

Well you are !!!!!! There are no plans to scrap FLR visas.

the_link
9th Jan 2013, 20:38
...from October 2013 its going to be very difficult for my wife to pass the B1 and LITUK it could take many years. All we can do is keep paying the huge FLR fees every 2 years. It is all very depressing...

Give your wife the encouragement and support, Ken, and you'll save on the extended fees as well as profit a stronger bond in your relationship.

LitUK is the factual test between the two and a fleeting glance of the study guide is bound to end in failure.

You're Mr Motivator and your wife plays student. It works if you're both aiming high.

;)

spider0064
9th Jan 2013, 20:51
My wife is in the same situation, she will be applying for ILR in september before the new rules kick in and is also attending an ESOL class at the local college which as we understand will be valid for this application.

She has taken the test for speaking & listening and await the results and has now just started the second term reading and writing also with a test at the end, i see this term as may be the most important as following this she will be in a better position to take the LITUK as the reading will be much improved, hopfully !!!

Anyway as you ask i too am unsure if she does not pass the test will having completed the course show what is required, i dont know as some where sometime i read that progression from one level to the next was enough, again other than passing tests or possibly being accessed again how this is shown, maybe a letter from the college will do.

Good luck and hope all works out for your wife and mine.

spider

Mister Ken
10th Jan 2013, 13:10
spider

Thanks for your information and support. I have searched everywhere and can see no definite ruling on this. Border Agency site says "passing the course" evidence required. So a letter saying she had attended the course and had passed continuous assessments would be enough? I am helping my wife as much as I can and am proud of the fact she can hold down a job and study what must be a very difficult subject. I have tried learning Thai so I know how demanding and stressful it can be. Hopefully, both our wives will have ILR come September/October. Worst case scenario is my wife's English will have improved and we will eventually get ILR in 2014/15.

9851colle
10th Jan 2013, 15:42
The esol is obsolete in Oct 13. Therefore your wife will need to take the B1 English test and the new LITUK in order to qualify for ILR.

With regards to a letter from the college. The collage must be registered with the UKBA and the student should have been assessed at the beginning of the course and progressed 1 level. The letter from the collage should state that the course contained citizenship context. The collage should have a template letter and will be issued once you receive your certificate stating what entry level was gained. All the paperwork regarding the cse should be sent to the UKBA with the rest of the application for ILR.

Mick..

lin1997
10th Jan 2013, 18:29
Some people may be intersted in whether ESOL course certificate will still be sufficient fo ILR after 10/2013, or any transition arrangment for these people who are in PBS system either main applicant or dependent. Obviously from June announcement there is nothing there. However I did some research from the historic English requirment change and the arrangement UKBA made in the past 3 years. My conculsion is as following with 90% confidence that dependent of PBS with ESOL course enrolled before this announcement (June/2012) will be still sufficient for ILR . Let's see !

Mister Ken
11th Jan 2013, 13:07
Assuming my wife passes the course and a certificate/letter was produced in July 2013 and we applied for ILR immediately would we be successfull? I am confused about the June 2012 announcement. Does that mean she has to have enrolled in a course before June 2012? I have just checked the SQA awards site and they say there is no final exam required, just a letter to show progress!

9851colle
11th Jan 2013, 14:01
Assuming my wife passes the course and a certificate/letter was produced in July 2013 and we applied for ILR immediately would we be successfull? I am confused about the June 2012 announcement. Does that mean she has to have enrolled in a course before June 2012? I have just checked the SQA awards site and they say there is no final exam required, just a letter to show progress!

Providing your wife applies before Oct 13 you will be fine. You should get a certificate from the awarding body stating which entry level was achieved. You need a certificate plus a letter from the collage.

vulcan2
12th Jan 2013, 00:00
Mr Ken My wife achieved level 2 ESOL That was All she required
Passed Level 1 in September and Level2 in the spring of the following Year.
No reading or writing was required. She can do it but you will need to help her.
We just went to bed early sat up and went through the course work most nights for About 1 hour.
Just like to add my wife left School in Thailand at 14 No University degree. And zero english skills.
It can be done if she works at it. Good Luck

Mister Ken
12th Jan 2013, 14:01
Vulcan

Interesting that no reading/writing was required. That is what my wife struggles with as she has never studied English at school as she left about 13/14 with her family's farm more important than finishing her schooling. I hope its possible in about 7/8 months to get a certificate before the Oct 13 changes come in. A final point. My wfe has been here for 6 years, on an FLR visa due to expire on May 14. I assume you can then apply at ANY time for ILR?

vulcan2
12th Jan 2013, 18:57
Mister Ken Your wife will need to show progress on a ESOL course.
If she manages to get on one she will be assed at the start to assess her level at the start.

It is conversational English speaking and listening She will need to progress 1 level that is all.
Looks like you need to get your skates on if she needs to renew her visa in May.
Yes, once she has the pass certificates in her hand she can apply for ILR.
The residency requirement is 3 years if you are a British citizen 5 if you are not
Good luck

the_link
12th Jan 2013, 19:23
Five minutes remain to edit, vulcan. :(

;)

spider0064
12th Jan 2013, 22:40
Mister Ken Your wife will need to show progress on a ESOL course.

Not forgetting the citizenship content, a number of ESOL courses available but of no use for ILR as they do not contain citizenship content.

spider

Mister Ken
13th Jan 2013, 13:37
They have assured me that it contains citizenship material. But whether the Border Agency accepts it that's another matter. You could apply for ILR and they could reject it and you would lose the £1000 odd and have to just apply for FLR and even more money.