PDA

View Full Version : What English Course?

prioritypress
22nd May 2013, 09:21
Well...

My wife has just been granted ILR and will be starting a new job in about a month.

Her spoken English is nearly fluent...to the extent that last time when we were on holiday in Thailand she started talking to people in English! :lol:

However, her reading/writing is still relatively poor - she's a bit lazy!

Any suggestions for courses that are well regarded that emphasise this and would look good on a CV?

Nick

prioritypress
22nd May 2013, 09:53
http://www.trinitycollege.co.uk/site/?id=263

?

Nick

livingwithathaigirl
22nd May 2013, 09:57
I'm not sure about the first part but surely the quality of English on the CV makes her level of writing (and therefore reading) self-evident and mentioning a course on it may even draw attention to a perceived problem. For spoken English, they'd probably just talk to her on the phone to verify that she was OK.

colin244
22nd May 2013, 22:49
I think living in a country will make it easier to learn to speak the local lingo rather than to read and write it as wifey is also nearly fluent in english and can write a little bit but as for the reading bit we were doing 4 year olds books before she went away to care for her mother, in contrast I can speak enough Thai to get by (just with a few cock ups) but as for reading and writing not a hope in hell.

I still find it fascinating watching a Thai write and apparantly wifey is the same watching me write :)

colin 244

ash
23rd May 2013, 06:11
I'm not sure about the first part but surely the quality of English on the CV makes her level of writing (and therefore reading) self-evident

I see many CVs and the reality is a big disappointment as often these are prepared by 3rd parties. That said there are also a large number of well qualified people who cannot write in a decent way even with so called english qualifications.

It can do no harm to complete an English course it shows commitment and a willingness to improve not a perceived problem

prioritypress
23rd May 2013, 06:59
I'm probably doing my wife a disservice.

She can read and write ok - she just wants to get better. She passed the LITUK which means you have an ok standard.

Just need's to practice her "reading out loud". She also "guesses" words because she's in too much of a rush to read it properly.

Any suggestions for courses?

Nick :confused:

livingwithathaigirl
23rd May 2013, 09:45
If she can pass the LITUK test, she's fine. The level of English required to be able to read and understand those books is above many native English school-leavers!

An English course may be good to help and practice but I still say it's not worth making a big deal of on a CV - unless it's an English O Level or A Level or something that's widely recognised. It's true that other people can write CVs but any employer will be aware of that test her if they're concerned or it's important.

I recently worked with an Eastern European guy who was just looking for a new job. He said that people would occasionally ring him up just to test his English. The same would be true of written standards.

The fact that you're asking us about recognised courses because they don't come easily to mind indicates that employers would have the same problem. For any course, a person reading the CV typically wouldn't know the course, what it entailed, the standards or even whether coursework counted towards a pass (in which case, anyone could have helped her again).

caller
23rd May 2013, 13:42
She can read and write ok - she just wants to get better. She passed the LITUK which means you have an ok standard.

She could try EFL? That's what my wife did (not via Westminster - see link - it was available at a local leisure centre). You get assessed beforehand and then placed on the relevant next level to aim for. My wife got to 1st certificate level, but then went to work instead. The courses are widely available.

http://www.westminster.ac.uk/courses/english-as-a-foreign-language/part-time/cambridge-exam-courses2