PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Pasta in Rice Cooker

Cliff
9th May 2007, 08:11
I know that it is possible to cook different things besides rice in a rice cooker. I'd like to cook pasta but I'm not sure how. Are you supposed to pour cold water over the pasta and cook like rice, or should boiling water be used?

Thanks!

rolyshark
9th May 2007, 11:20
Fresh or dried pasta?

Casey Jones
9th May 2007, 11:26
Would it be possible to boil clothes in a rice cooker do you think...like undies or socks? Just a curious thought that popped into my head. Sorry...I'll go away now. :angel:

Kob
9th May 2007, 12:13
I think it is possible to cook Pasta in a rice cooker using hot water, but I would think cooking it the traditional way would be just as easy, also boiling socks & underwear would also work adding a little Bold rather than salt, & leaving the warming cycle on for 5 min would help with drying. :thumb:

Cliff
9th May 2007, 12:20
I'm looking at cooking some dried pasta. I know this is possible and some rice cookers come with instructions on cooking rice and pasta. We recently upgraded to a bigger and more powerful model but I threw out the instruction booklet.

A colleague recently bought a rice "steamer" and put the rice on the steaming shelf above the water. I don't think his method resulted in the delicious fluffy rice he was expecting.

Can someone please post a serious reply because Thaiboi is at work and I'm hungry. Thanks. :)

Casey Jones
9th May 2007, 12:28
Thanks Kob. Handy thing to know. Sorry Cliff.

I'm forever apologising these days! :cry:

Kob
9th May 2007, 12:29
Most dried pastas cook in around 7 min al dente, I would just try the rice machine & see what happens & let us know , it cant hurt anything.

Cliff
9th May 2007, 13:39
Okay I will report back in a day or two. I've just cooked some instant noodles for tonight's meal. Ugh...
:(

Bryn&Mot
9th May 2007, 14:57
Knowing that I am about to hijack this thread....
How is Thai boy, Cliff, ? How is he settling in?
Nice to hear from you.
But sorry I don't know a lot about Pasta. :cry:
Now ask me about the staple diet of us Northeners... fish & chips, I think I would be able to help.
take care mate

Lee
9th May 2007, 14:59
Hi Cliff,

Pasta can be cooked in a rice machine as you rightly say, but I wouldn't even consider it!

The best pasta just has to be cooked in a large pot containing plenty of slightly salted boiling water.

If the pot is too small, then you run the risk of the pasta sticking to the bottom and if the water isn't up to a real good boil then you could end up with a slightly mushy pasta.

Also stir plenty of times during the cooking process.

For a real scrumptious dish - although probably not one that appeals to many Thai's - over a slow heat mix together some blue cheese and a small carton of single cream, continue stirring till just before the boil then take off the heat.
Add the mix to some hot drained penne pasta or twists that are al' dente, stir and leave for 3 - 4 minutes and then serve.

A' roy.

Cheers
Lee

Tony & Apple
9th May 2007, 15:58
Cliff

you can cook pasta in a rice cooker easy :D. we used to do this in bangkok.

we used to live on it (with ketchup over it for me ;)) the few days before pay day each month.

Cliff
30th May 2007, 12:38
Hi folks and apologies for not checking back in with details of my kitchen pursuits sooner. I ended up using the old reliable saucepan and boiling water for the pasta. We recently upgraded to a slightly bigger rice cooker so I didn't want to ruin it. I prefered the old one because even though it was smaller, there was less of the "crunchy" rice that forms on the bottom of the pan.

Bryn, thanks for asking. Thaiboi has settled in very well. He's been here for a little over a year and loves England, although misses Thailand from time to time. We have a satellite dish pointing at Thailand [Hotbird satellite, actually] so he keeps an eye on the TGN channel from time to time. All is good, thanks. Are you in Thailand?

robert d
6th Jun 2007, 15:01
bryn,
im intrigued how do you do fish and chips in a rice cooker ?.