PDA

View Full Version : Which tests for settlement visa and when needed

franky2013
16th Dec 2013, 18:58
Sorry if this has been covered before but find it all confusing . I plan on getting married to my Thai girlfriend in March and then applying for a settlement visa for her to Uk.
What tests does she need to pass to enable this and do they have to be passed before application ? I keep reading about A1 ,B1 and Life in the Uk tests, please help.

toddmeister
16th Dec 2013, 20:14
She only need to pass an A1 test for her initial spouse visa. The B1 & LITUK are further down the line when it comes to applying for settlement (ILR).

do they have to be passed before application ?

Yes because the test has to be included in with the visa application. The most common test used is the BULATS offered via Vantage Siam in Bangkok

franky2013
16th Dec 2013, 21:15
Thanks for reply Toddmeister, so are you saying that we would only be applying for a spouse visa initially after getting married and the settlement visa comes later and at the initial stage she only has to pass the A1 test.
She speaks and understands English very well so cant see that being a problem ?

toddmeister
16th Dec 2013, 22:57
Yeah pretty much. At this stage she only needs the A1 pass. Sometimes the terminology use of the visa's can be misleading. Some people refer to the initial spouse visa as a settlement visa which it isn't. Under the new rules (July '12) your wife won't qualify for settlement (ILR) until after 5 years (2x 30 month visa's) during which time she will have to pass both B1 and LITUK to qualify for settlement

franky2013
17th Dec 2013, 09:35
thanks for your help mate that makes it a lot clearer now, I thought you had to get settlement visa at first ,thanks again.

maokaang
17th Dec 2013, 11:40
Sometimes the terminology use of the visa's can be misleading. Some people refer to the initial spouse visa as a settlement visa which it isn't.Sorry toddmeister, but the initial application IS a settlement visa according to the VAF4A application form and the title of the link leading to it:

(VAF4A DECEMBER 2013)
FAMILY SETTLEMENT APPLICATION FORM

VAF4A application form - partners, children and other family of UK citizens or settled persons (settlement) (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/visas/vaf4a.pdf)

The term 'settlement' is not yet used exclusively for ILR. ILR is the latter stage of the entire settlement process, which also includes the initial visa application and subsequent FLR application(s).

Confusion has arisen because of the UKBA's website heading 'Settlement' in reference to ILR applications and their recent use of the word 'settlement' synonymously with ILR.

The UKBA need to sort out their inconsistencies in terminology.

franky2013
17th Dec 2013, 22:03
oh dear more confused than ever lol, whatever it heading its under can I be sure that its just the A1 test she needs to pass ?

colin244
18th Dec 2013, 00:34
Yes mate and good luck to you and your other half on the visa application :thumb:

colin 244