PDA

View Full Version : Thai University Costs for Thai nationals

ash
26th May 2007, 01:16
Hi does anyone know approximately how much Thai university fees are for Thai nationals who have passed the relevant entrance exams and if there is a way to get funding via the Thai authorities if the family are relatively poor.

ash

ash
26th May 2007, 01:16
Hi does anyone know approximately how much Thai university fees are for Thai nationals who have passed the relevant entrance exams and if there is a way to get funding via the Thai authorities if the family are relatively poor.

ash

packpao
26th May 2007, 12:24
Ash,

do you have a government or private university in mind?

Packpao

ash
26th May 2007, 21:58
Thammasat Rangsit campus for an engineering degree , my niece started this week but I can't get a straight answer on the annual costs for study and I think that as the family are relatively poor that she might qualify for a loan from the government for 50% of the fees plus something towards subsistence.

I only want to know if I'm looking at 100,000 a year or 500,000 baht not euros :help:

ash

khemerat
26th May 2007, 22:55
Up until last year we had been paying 27000Baht per term in tuition fees for my wife's son to attend Ubon Technical University plus 5000Baht per month for his living expenses. Therefore 100000Baht seems about right. Unfortunately the Thai Army has just conscripted him after 2 years into the course so looks as if that's money wasted.

BigRed
27th May 2007, 03:36
I thought university gave them exemption?

BigRed

khemerat
27th May 2007, 14:40
So did I.

As I understand it, if he had joined the Thai equivalent of the university cadet force he could have got out of military service. However the silly ****** was so confident of not drawing the red (or is it black) stick when called up that he didn't bother. Net result 2 years of study down the drain and soon to be sent to the South to deal with the insurgency down there . It is a tragedy as when I was first involved with the wife's family he was 11 years old and and had dropped out of school. We got him back in and through his own efforts and our support he eventually passed the entrance examination of one of Isaans top universities to study mechanical engineering. He would have been the first in the whole extended family to qualify with a degree and I was proud that my intervention had made such a difference. Now I am disillusioned and bewildered that the system over there allows a young person's education to be curtailed so drastically. Surely the powers that be, if they had any compassion, could have allowed him to complete his studies before drafting him?

Thailand can be a cruel and harsh place especially for poor,unconnected, peasant rice farmers and their families (the vast majority of the population)

packpao
27th May 2007, 15:49
Ash,
I've got couple of mates who lecture at Thammasat (one in Engineering). I should be able to give a pretty acurate figure but give me a couple of days.

Maeiow, sorry to hear about your step son's situation. I wouldn't say it was all wasted as I'm sure he can return and continue his studies at the same point he left them (should he choose to).
Even if he doesn't get back to finishing it, I would have thought two years of higher eduation wouldn't do him any harm.

I've heard from a number of sources that University education postpones conscription (indeed it did for my brothers and I) but with these things, it often depends who you speak to. I would have thought any issues could be resolved for a fraction of what you've spent on his tuition fees.

Good luck to the lad, especially if he's being posted to the southern three.

Packpao