PDA

View Full Version : Can Thai couple on work permits get visa for their children?

Henson
29th Sep 2008, 13:10
Hi all,

Some friends of my wife are currently anxious to try and obtain visas for their 2 sons.

Basically they are a Thai couple who have 5 year work visas. They have been living and working in the UK for 2 years in various Thai restaurants. Currently they are employed in a Thai Takeaway. The Thai husband is currently in the UK while the wife is in Thailand. Apparently, she is not intending to return unless their employer can make sure she gets her children with her.
I have just spoken with their employer who says he can document their employment with him and that they also have adequate accommodation with him. He wants to help obtain visas for the couple's children and I promised to ask for him on this site whether there is any possibility of the couple getting their children to the UK on any kind of visa? Apparently the couple would be happy to have just a 6 month visit visa, but otherwise the mother apparently cannot endure any further separation.

We have known this couple for 2 years and they are really good people so I hope some members can give some advice.

Thank you.

Tobias
29th Sep 2008, 13:26
The simple answer is yes Henson, they would apply for visas to join their parents. If the intention is only to visit, then a visit visa is also possible.

Are the children under 18?

Merseymike
1st Oct 2008, 12:50
As Tobias says, yes the couple can apply for visas for their children to join them. However, you say that they have moved around various establishments, and the only question I'd have is does the work permit reflect the current employer? If not, an application will have to be made for a new work permit and, in the currrent climate, it may not be issued.

Additionally, do both of the couple hold work permits or is it only one of them with the other present as a dependant? If the latter, who holds the permit? If it's the wife, the husband would be currently unlawfully in the UK as the wife is not present.

Henson
1st Oct 2008, 13:06
Thanks for the advice given,

I can see the difficulties pointed out. It also seems that the couple are aware of this. It does not seem that the wife is wanting to come back to Britain and that the visa attempt is a last ditch attempt by their employer to keep them here.
They certainly have changed employers more than once, so if they have to apply for new visas under the new criteria of being able to speak English etc. then it will be almost impossible as neither speak English.
I just hope that they have saved up enough to establish a viable restaurant in Thailand which is their goal.