PDA

View Full Version : one year non-immigration visa uk - run to loas

m0ntecarl0
30th Nov 2007, 21:51
I have a one year marriage visa from the UK - expires March 5th 2008. Next run (3rd run this year) is Dec 22nd 2007 which will give me stay until March 21st 2008....

Question - if I go out March 4th to Loas and come back same day will they give me 3 months (90 days) stamp so I have to leave June 3rd?

Thanks

m0ntecarl0
30th Nov 2007, 21:51
I have a one year marriage visa from the UK - expires March 5th 2008. Next run (3rd run this year) is Dec 22nd 2007 which will give me stay until March 21st 2008....

Question - if I go out March 4th to Loas and come back same day will they give me 3 months (90 days) stamp so I have to leave June 3rd?

Thanks

Dave and Tia
30th Nov 2007, 22:23
Yes.
Then in June you don't have to return to UK to get another visa.You can get one from Penang or Singapore.Unless the rules change before then.
Where about are you staying?
I'm in Ubon 70 km or so from the border crossing at Chong Mek.

m0ntecarl0
1st Dec 2007, 18:54
Thanks - Im in Kalasin and go to Mukdahan......will they not query the stamp if it is valid until end of March but I just go out to get it extended? Could they give me 30 days instead?

maokaang
1st Dec 2007, 19:12
will they not query the stamp if it is valid until end of March but I just go out to get it extended? Could they give me 30 days instead? I assume your visa is a multi-entry non-O, technically there is no such thing as a marriage visa.

So long as you return to Thailand BEFORE the expiry date of your non-O (any time up to and including 4th March 2008), they'll give you 90 days.

You'll then be able to stay in Thailand until around 1st June, during which time you'll need to work out what to do next. Are you planning on getting your non-O extended for 12 months from within Thailand (Retirement/Thai Wife) or are you going to leave the country and apply for another one?

m0ntecarl0
1st Dec 2007, 19:18
plan is to take my wife back to the UK - will have been living together and married for over one year - when should I apply for a settlement visa (is one month before I return to the UK too late?) thanks

maokaang
1st Dec 2007, 19:28
Nice one. I'll leave detailed answers to that question to those who are more up to date on UK visas than I am, but I think the earlier the better.

It is, AFAIK, recommended that you apply a few months in advance. You can request with your application a future date from which you'd like the visa to commence, in the event a quick decision is made. If, on the other hand, an interview is required, you'll still have plenty of time to get the visa.

I'm best leaving others to advise you on that in more detail though.

Noi & Nick
2nd Dec 2007, 03:46
If all the written evidence submitted with the application shows that, on the balance of probabilities, the requirements for the visa have been met then it will be issued without an interview. In which case you will be looking at a turnaround of approx 10 working days, often less.

However, if an interview is required then the lead time depends entirely on how many are ahead of you in the queue. Interviews are allocated on a strict 'first come, first served' basis. The embassy recommend allowing up to 3 months for settlement applications.

As Paul suggests, you can ask for the start date of a visa to be postdated for up to 3 months, so apply early and ask to have the visa dated appropriately. If you do this then you must check the date immediately you receive the visa. Such requests have been missed in the past, and mistakes cannot be rectified later.

Does this matter? Yes! To qualify for ILR she will need to be in possession of a valid visa and have been resident in the UK for 2 years. If her visa expires before the end of this 2 years then you will need to apply for an expensive extension.

m0ntecarl0
2nd Dec 2007, 17:20
thanks guys - if they interview her DOES the interview have to be in English - I suppose they want her to be able to answer questions to show she can maintain the requirements in the UK.....if she cant understand a question can she have it translated in Thai? If speaking Thai does this count against her in the interview?

Tony & Apple
2nd Dec 2007, 17:32
if they interview her DOES the interview have to be in English

it can be in thai using a translator

m0ntecarl0
2nd Dec 2007, 19:02
I hear so many stories that SHE must speak in english - surely they want to see your wife speaking in english than thai?

ash
2nd Dec 2007, 20:51
surely they want to see your wife speaking in english than thai?

They want answers to the questions whether in English or in Thai. I guess the answers are more important than the language.
ash

oldoldgit
3rd Dec 2007, 02:58
Maybe things have changed since 2001, interview for SV can be carried out in Thai or English she can choose, then learn English in the UK for the English test for ILR.

Noi & Nick
3rd Dec 2007, 02:58
There is no requirement for her to speak any English at all to get a settlement visa. However, there is a requirement two years later when she applies for ILR (you'll find lots on this in the forums).

If she is interviewed she will be asked if she wants to be interviewed in English or Thai.

If she elects for Thai the only difference is that she may be asked how the two of you communicate, Noi said that she spoke some English but wanted the interview in Thai to make sure she understood every question and answered correctly.

Remember, an interview is only required when the written evidence is not enough to answer every question the ECO may have. Prepare a good application and she probably wont need an interview.