PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - completing appendix 2 for child settlement visa

Phil
7th Mar 2015, 17:23
I have an urgent question regarding my stepson's child settlement visa application whic is ready to submit once this query is answered. My wife (his mother) is also applying for a settlement visa and we have completed the application and appendix 2 easily enough, thanks in no small part to the members on here.

On my wife's appendix 2 form we obviously completed section 3 (part 3A, category A as I'm employed rather than self employed).

My question regarding my stepson's application is which part of appendix 2 do we need to complete regarding the financial requirement? It seems like we should complete part 4 rather than part 3 as I think part 3 only applies if you're applying as a partner/spouse. Is that correct? :confused:

The appendix 2 form says guidance can be found on the Home Office website but I can't find any. I hope someone can help, especially if you have completed appendix 2 for a child before.

Many thanks

Phil

Phil
7th Mar 2015, 18:11
This is what it says in section 3 of the appendix 2 form:

Calculating the relevant financial requirement
The financial requirement that you must meet will vary according to the number of child dependents under the age of 18 being sponsored for entry to the UK as part of this application, and taking account of any child dependents under the age of 18 your sponsor is already financially responsible for in the UK.
• Children who are British Citizens or not subject to UK Immigration Control do not need to be considered when calculating the financial requirement.
• Full details of which children the financial requirement applies to can be found within the policy guidance notes which can be found on the Home Office website. The financial requirement you need to meet may include children already sponsored
who are not part of this application and you should include those children where relevant at 3.2
• Some applicants including children will need to meet a different maintenance requirement and if that applies they will need to complete Part 4 instead of this section. Full guidance can be found on the Home Office website.

It is the final point that makes me think all children's applications require only section 4 to be completed rather than section 3.

Thanks

Phil

Kingy
7th Mar 2015, 20:02
HI Phil
I've just done this for my wife and Stepson (Got visas in 4 weeks)
Include a letter and cross reference the applications stating the application numbers.
Also do the same in the space for extra info on the online documents and in the Appendix.
You fill in "PART 3A YOUR SPONSOR’S INCOME FROM SALARIEDEMPLOYMENT IN THE UK" just the same as your wifes because its about YOU as the sponsor. Nothing to do with your wife.
You are the sponsor for wife and stepson

Its the same calculation Wife and stepson = Applying with one child dependent under 18 an income before tax of at least £22,400 a year.

Tell the VFS people when you submit them and they will put them in the same bag.
Make sure your stepson is not interviewed on his own.
Don't forget your copy Bank Statements must be certified by your bank. I'm sure you've covered all that
Best of luck. It can be confusing mate
Kingy

Scot
7th Mar 2015, 21:10
Don't forget your copy Bank Statements must be certified by your bank.

I didn't get my bank statements certified, I just used my own print outs, didn't self certify them either. That was last year, there might've been changes since.

Phil
7th Mar 2015, 23:16
Thanks Kingy, so it's part 3 for my stepson too then and don't complete part 4, got it. Glad I asked the question on here!

I've already done what you suggested with the bank statements. I've read that some people were successful without certifying bank statements or getting them stamped but I've done it to be safe.

Was your stepson interviewed? I didn't think most applicants were interviewed. Did your wife attend his interview?

And congratulations on the successful applications :banana:

Kingy
8th Mar 2015, 20:20
Yep stepson Interviewed....without his mum so be careful this doesn't happen to you.
Interview is just a few questions but my wife overheard my stepson having to answer if he spoke Lao (He's Isaan)
The man was laughing so we complained. Had an apologetic phone call and a grovelling email a few days after.
Have you got the PK14 document too?
Kingy

Phil
9th Mar 2015, 15:03
Hi Kingy

What an A-hole that interviewer sounds!

Yes, the wife's got the PK14. Another forum member replied to a private message and said he just completed section 4 for his stepson and got the visa so it seems like they're used to getting the application completed differently and issue it anyway....

Phil

ironryon
11th Mar 2015, 20:55
Can anyone else in the know help to clarify which Part of Appendix 2 form should be filled out if its a child that is the applicant?

The main reason why I query if we should complete Part 3 or Part 4 is because it says at the beginning of Part 4 this -

You should complete this maintenance section if you are not required to complete the financial section in Part 3. This includes those who answered Yes to 3.1 and CHILDREN WHO ARE NOT REQUIRED TO MEET THE FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT. See the policy guidance notes who needs to complete this part instead of Part 3.

Phil
11th Mar 2015, 21:21
"You should complete this maintenance section if you are not required to complete the financial section in Part 3. This includes those who answered Yes to 3.1 and CHILDREN WHO ARE NOT REQUIRED TO MEET THE FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT. See the policy guidance notes who needs to complete this part instead of Part 3."

This is exactly what confused me too. Not sure if it means ALL children are not required to meet the financial requirement or just some children are not require to meet it. Can be interpreted either way.

Also in section 3 it says:

"Some applicants including children will need to meet a different maintenance requirement and if that applies they will need to complete Part 4" which sounds like they need to complete Part 4 instead of Part 3. Another user private messaged me and said they completed Part 4 and not Part 3 and had the visa granted.

Phil
11th Mar 2015, 22:20
Another quote from the form (above question 3.3):

"If you are an applicant under the age of 18 applying on your own to join a sponsor, read the policy guidance note for further information on the financial requirement you are required to meet."

Maybe this means kids applying when their parent isn't applying at the same time? In which case they complete part 3 if their parent is applying at the same time (as is the case for my stepson)?

ironryon
11th Mar 2015, 22:47
Waiting for a ray of light to send me the answer....maybe in my dreams tonight it will all become clear! :D

Timbo
12th Mar 2015, 12:02
"... This includes those who answered Yes to 3.1 and CHILDREN WHO ARE NOT REQUIRED TO MEET THE FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT."

I'm not professing to know the definitive answer to this but would like to point out:-

(a) "and CHILDREN WHO ARE NOT REQUIRED TO MEET THE FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT "
(b) "and CHILDREN, WHO ARE NOT REQUIRED TO MEET THE FINANCIAL REQUIREMENT"

have different meanings in this context: (a) a subset of all children children who are exempt, (b) all children. I'm guessing that whoever drafted this knew what the intent was but that doesn't necessarily assure us that there wasn't a typographical error when it was published.

PS I'm not a habitual grammar pedant. In truth I'm sloppy quite often myself -innit! Please feel free to correct me....

Phil
12th Mar 2015, 13:20
I've had a reply from my friend who used to work in the immigration courts for the CPS. Her friend who still works there took a look and says it's definitely part 3 that we need to complete and not part 4. I think given her job this is fairly reassuring - and also the same answer a solicitor friend gave although she wasn't 100% sure as she'd never seen the form as she doesn't do immigration work.

Given the feedback from members on here and the immigration lawyer it seems part 3 is the way forward....

Kingy
12th Mar 2015, 23:32
Phil
as i said before
I just did this and filled in part 3.
We got visas in 4 weeks
your Stepson has to meet the financial requirement with his mum and you (The Sponsor) are proving you have the wonga to do it.
Adult + 1 dependent child
Kingy

ironryon
13th Mar 2015, 00:53
Hi Kingy
Congrats on getting your visas!! :) good going that is too...4 weeks! :banana:

Would you mind helping me make sure Im ticking the right box?

Am I right that in my case the financial requirement I have to meet is £18600?

I am applying for my step daughter to join us on the same settlement visa you just received...

I am also sponsor to my wife that's 2 years into her UK settlement visa
I have 2 british born sons. Aged 7months and 9yrs.

btw - I've just filled out all of Part 3 :) just need to complete 3.2 now.

Phil
13th Mar 2015, 14:20
Thanks Kingy, we're good to go then.

Phil
as i said before
I just did this and filled in part 3.
We got visas in 4 weeks
your Stepson has to meet the financial requirement with his mum and you (The Sponsor) are proving you have the wonga to do it.
Adult + 1 dependent child
Kingy

- - - - - - - u p d a t e d - - - - - - -

Ironryon - I believe it's the £22,400 financial requirement in your case as you have one dependent child (the step daughter). UK kids don't count for these calculations.

Hi Kingy
Congrats on getting your visas!! :) good going that is too...4 weeks! :banana:

Would you mind helping me make sure Im ticking the right box?

Am I right that in my case the financial requirement I have to meet is £18600?

I am applying for my step daughter to join us on the same settlement visa you just received...

I am also sponsor to my wife that's 2 years into her UK settlement visa
I have 2 british born sons. Aged 7months and 9yrs.

btw - I've just filled out all of Part 3 :) just need to complete 3.2 now.