PDA

View Full Version : VV Application for Cambodian GF

thesweetscience
11th Jun 2015, 22:42
Hey everyone,

I've been lurking around here for a few hours trying to find advice. It's a really helpful place but I really need some questions answered.

I'm currently in the process of applying for a VV for my Cambodian GF who I met in September 2013 in Phnom Penh. I've been back there 3 times since we met for several weeks at a time, and we think it's time she visits the UK to meet my friends and family.

When she comes to the UK for around 6 weeks, she'll be staying with me (I still live with parents) and I will fund the entire trip.

I can provide photos, conversation transcripts, plane tickets (and other travel tickets) from our most recent travels (we've traveled to Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam).

The main issue is the financial side of things. She has a travel agency business that she co-owns with her friend, and she can provide 6 months business and personal bank statements.

I, on the other hand, also run my own business in the UK and can provide bank statements too. However, my main concerns are:

1. Does my GF have to provide any other business documentation or are the aforementioned bank statements enough?

2. Do I have to provide any business documentation (I prefer not to unless as required when applying for a settlement visa but this isn't the case) or can I just provide 6 months personal statements with money going in and savings?

3. As far as staying with my family, what proof should I provide for the address? Is a written invitation from my parents enough?

4. For her reason for return, will returning to run her business in time for peak season be a strong enough reason? (she has no kids, never been married and has no other assets)

5. Should I print of all the supporting documents on my side in the UK and send it to her in PP via Fedex? Or can I just photocopy them and email them for her to print out on her side?

I honestly didn't think a VV would be such a headache. I thought that was only reserved for Settlement Applications!

Any help would be much appreciated!

Scot
11th Jun 2015, 23:21
Welcome to the forum, Thailand/Cambodia, I'm sure VV's from both aren't too dissimilar so here's my tuppence worth

1. As you will be funding the entire trip your gf's bank statements are there as evidence she is employed and to show a regular income. Are they enough? probably, but it depends on how confident you are on her 'reason to return', if more, relevant documentation is available, use it to beef up the application.

2. 6 months of statements is enough to show you have a sufficient income/saving to show you can cover the costs without her requiring public funds. Like you say, that's more for settlement visas.

3. It should be, maybe add some proof of address, a utility bill or something, some have used photos of the property but thats entirely down to how you want to present the application.

4. It should be but there's no guarantees. It depends on the whole application, if the rest is all correct and watertight and the business is presented with proof as genuine then I'd say it's a good reason. (but I don't make visa decisions!)

5. It's maybe worth checking if any of your documents have to be genuine and not copies… I vaguely recall someone recently not having signed an letter of invitation and this being highlighted in the refusal letter, so perhaps better to sign and send.

Hopefully you'll stick around and maybe tell us a bit about your travels round SEA and Cambodia, personally I've not made it further than Thailand but Cambodia's on the itinerary for our next trip 'home'.

thesweetscience
12th Jun 2015, 01:04
Hey Scot, thanks for your elaborate reply. In response to your message:

4. It should be but there's no guarantees. It depends on the whole application, if the rest is all correct and watertight and the business is presented with proof as genuine then I'd say it's a good reason. (but I don't make visa decisions!)

Is a business bank account sufficient proof that my GF runs a business?

5. It's maybe worth checking if any of your documents have to be genuine and not copies… I vaguely recall someone recently not having signed an letter of invitation and this being highlighted in the refusal letter, so perhaps better to sign and send.

My bank statements are online so will be printed out and then stamped by the bank. Also, then letter of invitation will be signed. But is it necessary to send the actual copies to my GF in Cambodia? Or can I just photocopy the documents already with the official stamps and signatures?

I don't want to sound naive, but I'm just thinking it'll be quite costly and not time efficient to have to send all this stuff by post when it can simply be done electronically in this day and age.

Scot
12th Jun 2015, 15:48
Tbh I wouldn't know how to prove a business in Cambodia, the bank account might be enough evidence but I really don't know for sure, just make sure they're clearly labelled as business accounts and why they're included in the application.

In the past I've printed my bank statements from my online account to submit, I didn't get my bank to stamp them or certify them, so I'd say emailing them wouldn't be any different. But with signatures on letters, that could be different.

I know, you know and everyone else knows it could be done electronically but unfortunately the Vfs and UKBA don't seem to live in this day and age on most occasions. Hopefully someone with experience of sending or emailing documents will answer your questions more confidently.

thesweetscience
13th Jun 2015, 00:53
I know, you know and everyone else knows it could be done electronically but unfortunately the Vfs and UKBA don't seem to live in this day and age on most occasions. Hopefully someone with experience of sending or emailing documents will answer your questions more confidently.

Good point. I don't think I'd want to chance it and will just send the originals, unless someone else can elaborate on this situation a bit more.

Oh and one more question, I'm going to photocopy flight tickets and various other travel tickets to be included in the application. Is this good enough? Or should I also just give them the originals?

I want to keep them just incase I need them for future applications.

ian1208
13th Jun 2015, 14:23
You can have any documents attested here in the UK by a solicitor.
All it means is that it is a true copy. They are accepted. (Some have to be original but not for VV)

I have a business in Cambodia. There are several types but it would be registered in what is basicly the same as company house. If it is not, it should still be registered for tax. (even a stall holder will have this). It is like an ID card.
Alternatively, a copy of the partnership agreement with the red stamp from the gov dept.

As for electronicly sending signed documents. I do this day in day out. Signed pdf's are accepted for many forms of business transactions. Scanned receipts and flight tickets etc are fine.

Make sure you include an invitation letter from your parents that she will reside in their house during the trip.

Good luck

thesweetscience
13th Jun 2015, 22:24
Man, really, thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it! If I have any other issues I know where to go now!