PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Thailand without a visa

Markt50
6th Jul 2015, 09:00
I recently left Thailand for a uk visit with my Thai wife and child who was 1 year old at the time. My son has a uk and Thai passport. Immigration were insisting my son should have a uk visa on his Thai passport to enter the uk and at one point were not going to let us leave. I had brought all my sons documents ie birth certificate and out marrige certificate etc which helped.
In the end they relecutantly stamped his Thai passport but said we would be turned back once we got to the uk....this was odviously not the case. To my knowledge that have no right to prevent him leaving on his British passport and returning on his Thai one.
If anyone is planning a trip be sure to take all your documents with you....

Gary & Nok
6th Jul 2015, 12:44
Sorry Mark but reading this I find it a bit odd.

My son has a uk and Thai passport. Immigration were insisting my son should have a uk visa on his Thai passport to enter the uk and at one point were not going to let us leave.They are correct. Thai passport holders do need a visa to enter the UK. (read the rest first).

In the end they relecutantly stamped his Thai passport but said we would be turned back once we got to the uk....this was odviously not the case.Again correct as no visa in Thai passport.

To my knowledge that have no right to prevent him leaving on his British passport and returning on his Thai one.Again correct.
But this is not what you said. You said he was leaving on his Thai passport.
It almost sounds like you never showed them his British passport.

My wife does this all the time (as do many others) and the last time was only 7th June.

The rule of thumb is:
Leave UK on UK passport (airline ticket in married name).
Enter LOS on Thai (Laos in Noks case) passport (in maiden name)
Leave LOS on Thai passport
Enter UK on UK passport.
No visas needed either way.

Nok is very rarely asked for her British passport when leaving LOS and has never been asked where her UK visa is in her Laos passport.

Markt50
6th Jul 2015, 14:07
I showed both passports at check in and at Immigration as requested. Yes you are correct leave on Thai passport and enter uk on British one and vice versa.
The only thing i can think of as to why they were difficult is that we were travelling with a young child, so definately worth carrying all his documents.