PDA

View Full Version : English Language Home Study

Irishfella
14th Apr 2016, 17:24
Hi there, I amlooking advice and recommendations to help me tutor my wife in reading andwriting English. She undertook a part time ESOL Level 2 course last year at ourlocal college which she did not benefit much from. The Level 3 course costs£2000 and I would much prefer to try and help her along myself until she hasbeen living in the UK for 3 years and does not have to pay International fees.

She can speak English generally well but lacks confidence to do so in a publicsetting. This I would also like to help her with.

Thanks in advance for your replies

rasg
19th Apr 2016, 02:29
There is a guy in Bangkok called Chris Wright whose Dad, Bruce is a Brit and his mum is Thai. Totally bi-lingual. He used to have a TV program in Thailand teaching English but explaining in Thai. He's actually quite funny and my GF loves watching his YouTube videos giggling her way through them and she has learned quite a lot.

Here is a link to his YouTube videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ81YuRsEkU&list=PLZ8mFhtufMEGRokiU185ymIvNZOOkT9bE

There are dozens of them.

The GF was in Bangkok waiting for a visa a few weeks ago and I sent her to his school in the Center World shopping Mall for a few days for a few 2 hour private lessons from his dad Bruce. Lessons were £20 an hour one to one and she came back with a few very good books that have helped me teach her quite a bit. The most expensive was 1000 baht but it is an A4 pretty thick book. He was specifically briefed to work on her pronunciation and he did quite a good job but the two of us try and spend an hourish each day where I correct her when she gets things wrong in generak conversation. Much more than that and she would go mad.

Not sure they will send the books out by post but if you Google the Chris Wright school in Bangkok you can check. I was pleasantly surprised to hear a Thai guy answer the phone when I rang the school with very good English.

The GF was taught Tinglish at the hotel where she used to work so there is quite a bit to undo where she was originally taught by Thai English teachers who simply couldn’t speak English well themselves.

Linne
19th Apr 2016, 13:33
Can she get a job in customer service where she would speak with customers on regular basis ??

canuck1941
7th May 2016, 14:16
Do a search on YouTube for learn English. Some even explain English grammar in Thai.
[video=youtube;PNCmGY7Ikrs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNCmGY7Ikrs[/video

Furthermore Al Jazeera has a feature that reads the story out loud.

Mark L
19th Jul 2016, 12:21
Chrisengschool.
His online videos seem funny while informative - Though I should add that I can not understand what he says in Thai so can only judge the videos by the English used and his style of delivery.

The School's Webpage shows they have moved from Central World to Central Ladprao.
Or maybe I'm confused.

My girlfriend and her sister are looking for an English language course. I have suggested they check this school out. I will feedback here if I get useful info from the ladies.

rocketman
5th Sep 2016, 17:28
Hi there, I amlooking advice and recommendations to help me tutor my wife in reading andwriting English. She undertook a part time ESOL Level 2 course last year at ourlocal college which she did not benefit much from. The Level 3 course costs£2000 and I would much prefer to try and help her along myself until she hasbeen living in the UK for 3 years and does not have to pay International fees.

She can speak English generally well but lacks confidence to do so in a publicsetting. This I would also like to help her with.

Thanks in advance for your replies

You've hit the nail on the head when you say she lacks confidence, it's understandable.

The only & best way to learn is to get out & about then reinforce at home with you.

It'll be a boring life for her just sitting with you & you trying to teach her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carla999
26th Sep 2016, 12:54
You've hit the nail on the head when you say she lacks confidence, it's understandable.

The only & best way to learn is to get out & about then reinforce at home with you.

It'll be a boring life for her just sitting with you & you trying to teach her

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally agree the best way of learning English is to speak and listen the speech of different people. The only way is to go out and speak as much as possible.