PDA

View Full Version : So what else can go wrong ...........

pagan1
27th Dec 2016, 10:18
In the process of completing Visit visas for my wife's Son (aged 10) & brother (age 29) to make their first trip to visit us in the UK. Sent them off last month to get passports and just got copies of their details through................ slight problem. The English versions of their surnames are different to my wife. So she is a Kerd***** and her son and brother are Koed*****. That got me looking at their ID cards to find that my wife's ID card states Ked*****
Having completed a number of visa applications over the years I figure a note of explanation for the Reviewing Officer and copies of the ID cards which show the surname identical in Thai characters but different in English translation should do the trick.
Anyone had the same issue or thoughts ????

The next concern I have is when they arrive at the airport. On the visa applications I have clearly stated they will be travelling together to visit us in the UK. However are there any precautions to take to stop the airline / BKK immigration throwing a spanner in the works. My concern would be her brother will be taking a child (not his) out of the country armed only with a letter from us stating they are coming for a holiday.
Again thoughts and previous experience much appreciated.

Scot
27th Dec 2016, 20:09
What versions are on the son and brothers ID cards? were they translated using the same company?

I think the fact the Thai versions are all correct would be enough and adding a note (whilst drawing their attention to it when it might not be otherwise noticed) would point the officer to the obvious. I understand the concern, it can seem like they look for any reason to reject applications sometimes but I reckon you'll be safe.

On travelling, my wife and I have travelled with her kids many times and we have never been asked our relationship to them and our situation is more complicated. Our kids have their fathers surname and my wife hasn't changed her name to mine on her documents, so we have three different surnames and never any issues.

pagan1
29th Dec 2016, 14:37
Thanks for the reply Scot. Much appreciated.
The differences are actually on the Government issued Thai ID cards & Passports. I guess each office had their own way of creating the English translation of the surname. I have highlighted the issue indicating the parental / family ties stated on the birth certificates and the same surname in Thai characters on their ID cards. That should make it pretty evident.
Todays problem is the appointments system for VFS in BKK. I managed to set up one appointment last night after a struggle. Since then the system will not let me set up the second appointment no matter what day or date I choose. Guess I just need to keep trying as there is no way to contact anyone and highlight the problem. Could this be the new ploy ? Complete the form, take the money but never create an appointment to drop the documents off at Trendy !!!

Scot
29th Dec 2016, 16:12
Todays problem is the appointments system for VFS in BKK. I managed to set up one appointment last night after a struggle. Since then the system will not let me set up the second appointment no matter what day or date I choose.

Have you tried clearing your cookies or booking on a different device?

Best of luck, hope they both go through unquestioned.