PDA

View Full Version : Wot, no pickled fish ?

Rich & Orasa
19th May 2008, 02:53
Some friends went to our nearest Thai food shop on Saturday and were apparently told that the owner will be unable to order any more supplies of paa laa (?) due to changes in the law ???

As anyone heard anything similar ?

fish
19th May 2008, 04:42
I was pretty pickled last night :D

colin244
19th May 2008, 06:09
There was plenty of pickled fish in Hoo Hing Chadwell Heath yesterday (we now have enough for 6 months I think :rolleyes:)
colin 244

Rich & Orasa
19th May 2008, 07:48
There was some in the shop our friends went to but the message was that when it's gone, it's gone and there wouldn't be anymore. Neither of the Thai ladies who went mentioned anything to Orasa, which is surprising considering the earth shattering :rolleyes: impact of such news if it's true. One of the ladies husband told me this morning about it (as well as the price of a 10kg bag of rice going up to £15 :eek:)

ash
19th May 2008, 08:00
Its still available in Basel (Switzerland) at the moment, I will ask the local importer if they are likely to have problems and if not I'm sure we can organise relief shipments to the UK.(For a price :banana: )
ash

Tobias
19th May 2008, 08:27
If there is to be a ban on importation to the UK then this will also be prohibited for importation for personal use too. Severe penalties can be imposed for those who import (or attempt to) import restricted goods/materials/items/foodstuffs etc.

I know the Americans banned this stuff years ago, but I've not heard of anything here in the UK - but then again, why would I.

ash
19th May 2008, 08:45
May be related to this http://www.fda.gov/ora/oasis/2/ora_oasis_c_th.html

I would imagine that the next shipment might get through
ash
Oops sorry thats the US site

Sorapong
19th May 2008, 12:45
If this news is true it will result in many Thais up & down the country going " Cold Turkey ". No doubt there will also be a mass evacuation back to LOS to visit "sick relatives" ( and re-stock with supplies ). The good news is that no doubt many homes will smell much nicer.

Neil & Mook
23rd May 2008, 07:20
just told the missus and now she wants me to check all local thai shops to buy up stock :cry:
why didn't i keep my big mouth shut :rolleyes:

SyThai
23rd May 2008, 23:01
The good news is that no doubt many homes will smell much nicer :lol: :lol:

Got that one right :nod:

Remember when we went few weeks ago they were out of stock.... havent really got round to letting Su know the news yet, she's not gonna be too happy :crazy:

ash
24th May 2008, 00:29
I smell a business opportunity here to import the frozen ingredients and make the Pa la in the uk. Wonder if it would taste okay using Carp or Cod.
ash

-Keith-
24th May 2008, 04:48
I smell a business opportunity here to import the frozen ingredients and make the Pa la in the uk. Wonder if it would taste okay using Carp or Cod.
ash

No need mate, you can buy Gourami fish in tropical fish stores :D

ash
24th May 2008, 06:04
I always bought my rabbit at the local pet shop when I was at Uni but after the 5th one they got suspicious especially when we asked for the fattest one and one that matched the gloves :D

ash

rolyshark
24th May 2008, 08:18
Wonder if it would taste okay using Carp or Cod.
Might be a tad expensive. Heard on the radio today that a fish 'n chip supper in Skeggy was likely to cost more than 50% more than last year because of the price of the fish.

SyThai
24th May 2008, 08:50
Had a word with Su........... and she says " no problem darling I can make it !! "

Will get back to you with the reciepe, apparently you can buy similar fish you need for it in Tesco's. I'm sure they're not the same type as in Thailand

colin244
24th May 2008, 09:28
cost more than 50% more than last year because of the price of the fish.

According to the papers it the cost of fuel geared to the rising crude oil price for trawlers not the fish who have their own as I have experienced the smell of all week in my car after a bottle of fish sauce smashed in the boot last weekend and according to the wife "that was lucky as we have 3" :rolleyes:

Any way latest is "hmm darlink now your Dettol is boxing Thai fish sauce in your car" and thankfully the Dettol is winning as all air fresh products failed ;)
colin 244

Tobias
25th May 2008, 03:39
Originally posted by ash:
I always bought my rabbit at the local pet shop when I was at Uni but after the 5th one they got suspicious ... :lol: :lol: :lol: