View Full Version : Is this lady legal?

Merc Fintail
22nd Aug 2017, 10:49
We are looking to employ a Thai lady who has come to the UK on an "EEA FP: Family member to join ................" visa.

The visa is valid for six months and is multi entry but we dont know if she is allowed to work or not. Of course we do not want to risk breaking the law.

I cant find any links on gov website or telephone numbers to check. I thought visas normally stated if you can work or not.

Thanks Paul

22nd Aug 2017, 11:13
The person appears entitled to work in the UK. Have a look at this link, lots of useful info for employers:


N Barton
25th Aug 2017, 18:07
Going off topic a bit here, but, the company I work for had a SEDEX SMETA Audit this week. One of the "minor" things we "failed" on was not checking the right to work of UK citizens. We were advised that this is something we must check, adding that if someone was to leave and come back (I have done twice) then their right must be checked again.

26th Aug 2017, 00:48
UK citizens have the right of abode (https://www.gov.uk/right-of-abode), including the right to work (https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/employers-illegal-working-penalties). Evidence (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/3290/schedule/made) of British citizenship is sufficient?

26th Aug 2017, 08:51
... Evidence (http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2007/3290/schedule/made) of British citizenship is sufficient?

Yes. Birth certificate (with evidence of NINo) or passport will do the trick.