PDA

View Full Version : Thai diners show appetite for rat

packpao
6th Feb 2008, 07:59
Thai diners show appetite for rat

Thai fast food sellers are enjoying a boom in rat sales, as people learn to love the taste of the rodent.

While rat has long been eaten in Thailand's poorer northern regions, a growing number of the country's roadside vendors are now serving it up.

The rats are drowned and sold uncooked or ready to eat, with happy customers purchasing rat meat for as much as 150 baht ($4.82; £2.30) a kilogram.

"It's better than chicken," one customer told the AP news agency.

'Nothing can compete'

"It all depends what you like, but it's a normal meat like any other," added Thongyu Roruchit.

They are definitely clean
Rat vendor Sala Prompim

One rat seller, Sala Prompim, said that the hip and liver were the best cuts.

"It's tastier than other meats - nothing can compete with rat," he added.

Mr Prompim said he only used rats caught from rice fields, and not those found in towns or cities.

"They are definitely clean," he said.

The animals are killed by drowning, before being skinned ready for cooking - poached, fried, grilled or baked.

Mr Prompim says he sells as much as 100kg of rat meat on some days.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/business/7230233.stm

Published: 2008/02/06 12:33:58 GMT

© BBC MMVIII

richardb
6th Feb 2008, 09:30
Noo I don't believe it. :angel:

Richard

Lucky
6th Feb 2008, 10:17
Is that a big Gnu :confused:

Neil & Mook
6th Feb 2008, 13:50
mmmmmmmmmmm yummy ;)

Simon Parry
6th Feb 2008, 14:38
Personally I prefer kai mot daeng when in season.

But my stepson and his mates are happy to go out all night to catch one rat for breakfast....so they can't taste that bad :D

Lucky
6th Feb 2008, 14:44
Originally posted by Simon Parry:

Who? You or the rats :confused:

Bit mean to kill the rats when they are enjoying themselves, as for you I guess whatever turns you on, must admit I always thought it was oysters myself :angel:

Simon Parry
6th Feb 2008, 15:19
Bit mean to kill the rats when they are enjoying themselves
Apparently you can get 2 rats with one shot ;)

rolyshark
6th Feb 2008, 16:55
IS there a season?
The Glorious 9th maybe. Hordes of tweed clad beaters marching through the jungle beating the tree tops for ant's nests? Specially trained soi dog spaniels lolling round their flip-flops and a social lao khao at the kill or packs of specially trained chang with mahoots in hunting pink crashing through the undergrowth? Tally Ho! :lol:

Thaddeus
6th Feb 2008, 17:22
Originally posted by packpao:
One rat seller, Sala Prompim, said that the hip and liver were the best cuts.

"It's tastier than other meats - nothing can compete with rat," he added.

Well he would say that, he's a rat seller.

Personally, I've tried it, they have been selling rat on the market all the time I've been here..... and as the nose and eyes are just as important as the taste..... I'll stick to chicken.

Thaddeus
6th Feb 2008, 17:31
Originally posted by rolyshark:

IS there a season?
The Glorious 9th maybe. Hordes of tweed clad beaters marching through the jungle beating the tree tops for ant's nests? Specially trained soi dog spaniels lolling round their flip-flops and a social lao khao at the kill or packs of specially trained chang with mahoots in hunting pink crashing through the undergrowth? Tally Ho! :lol:
:lol:

I can't wait for the rain to start again (not a drop for three months now) the endless crrrk crrrk crrrk sound of frogs whose only purpose on the planet appears to be for the amusement of Thai blokes on motorcy's with a torch on their heads and carrying a bucket.

P.S. I've tried frog too...... and I'll still stick to chicken thanks.

GTG
6th Feb 2008, 22:49
Rat is OK, probably more meat on them than those country chickens, and not as crunchy as frog. Free range, too! Jamie Oliver will be booking his flights .......

axel1974
6th Feb 2008, 22:50
I gues the term don't knock it til you have tried it applies.

But.......... I wonder how many of us have already eaten it in a late night pizza restaurant or kebab shop and not known about it?

Bring on the Ratatouille!!!

rolyshark
7th Feb 2008, 04:10
the endless crrrk crrrk crrrk sound of frogs
Not to mention the "ung-arrs"...

axel1974
7th Feb 2008, 06:01
Last time i was in Phanom Sarakham there was a massive rainstorm. The next morning there was a croaking mess all over the local road where the local hoppers had all been squashed by the pickup trucks and tuk-tuks. It rained so much I had a freshwater crab trying to attack my toes while i was eating my tea.

We went to a friends home and I was relaying the story in my best Thai when I was ushered into the bathroom to see something unusual.... There in the shower was a big sack full of frogs croaking. There must have been about 100 in there.

Bee then told me about all the locals going out hunting for the frogs when they have the storms...

I was offered the chance to buy a few for tea but politely declined. The poor things looked hopping mad

richardb
7th Feb 2008, 06:47

the endless crrrk crrrk crrrk sound of frogs
Not to mention the "ung-arrs"...

Ahh the "ung arrs" the Motorhead of the amphibian world. I have never seen one but fully expect to find it lolling infront of a speaker stack with the volume set to LOUD

Richard

Simon Parry
7th Feb 2008, 15:01
The Glorious 9th maybe. Hordes of tweed clad beaters marching through the jungle beating the tree tops for ant's nests? Specially trained soi dog spaniels lolling round their flip-flops and a social lao khao at the kill or packs of specially trained chang with mahoots in hunting pink crashing through the undergrowth? Tally Ho!

A great image this conjures up Roly :clap:.

axel1974
8th Feb 2008, 11:15
Keep taking the LSD mate
:D

Lucky
8th Feb 2008, 11:44
[The Glorious 9th maybe. Hordes of tweed clad beaters marching through the jungle beating the tree tops for ant's nests? Specially trained soi dog spaniels lolling round their flip-flops and a social lao khao at the kill or packs of specially trained chang with mahoots in hunting pink crashing through the undergrowth? Tally Ho! :lol:

With anti blood sport protesters following close behind in tuk tuks and putting the dogs off the scent with nam prik :D

BUT, on a serious note, according to popular belief, potential disaster if by chance the chang met the gnu head on :banana: :banana: :banana:

KhunIanB-UK
8th Feb 2008, 17:01
Rat is my favourite meat and to me it really does taste far better than others, prefer it to lamb! However on hearing that the rats are drowned I was quite shocked!

From now on I will ask for the extra water content to be taken into account when paying by the kilo :o

rolyshark
8th Feb 2008, 17:26
BUT, on a serious note, according to popular belief, potential disaster if by chance the chang met the gnu head on
Only if the snakes can't spell ;)

GTG
8th Feb 2008, 23:30
Originally posted by axel1974:
Bee then told me about all the locals going out hunting for the frogs when they have the storms...

I think I preferred the hunting part to actually eating them. It would be a lot more difficult if the silly things didn't sleep with their eyes open, perfectly reflecting the light from the 'Torchy' contraptions!

Tasty enough but far too many bones for my liking.

I was a bit better at that than digging for crabs in the rice fields .....

axel1974
9th Feb 2008, 00:26
i agree gordie

far too many bones for my liking

Lucky
9th Feb 2008, 05:13

Only if the snakes can't spell ;)

Ooops :blush: must be a rat-tle-snake

Simon Parry
10th Feb 2008, 14:21
I was a bit better at that than digging for crabs in the rice fields .....

That brings back memories...I used to go with my mother-in-law to dig for crabs and little frogs. Never once did I find any of the little perishers, whilst she was finding one after the other and laughing at my vain attempts !

Barrington
18th Feb 2008, 05:39
About four years ago we left our two year old daughter with Kun Yai whilst we went to a bar in the village near Udon Thani. Whist we were away they had a BBQ of freshly shot Noo Yai and our daughter cried because she wanted some, so they gave her some and she seems happy. She is 6 now so it can not be that bad. But i am glad that it was all eaten when we back from the pub.

The following day my wife wanted to go to the fish BBQ place just out of the village and I asked if I could have chicken instead, she rang the BBQ to check and they said yes, but not for half an hour or so, as they had to catch the chicken first.

inouii
3rd Mar 2008, 11:13
Interesting. When I was staying in a little village near Prakhon Chai I was honoured with selecting which chicken running around I'd prefer for dinner. Tasted exellent.