PDA

View Full Version : Basic English lessons?

Rsmith89
18th Apr 2018, 12:13
Hi everyone.

I’ve read a few posts on here regarding spouses doing ESOL courses.

My wife came to England in December and I wanted her to do some sort of course part time where she can gain confidence more than anything.

Her English is decent and she can hold a conversation but I think she needs more confidence so that she feels comfortable going to get a job.

Can anyone recommend if an ESOL is appropriate or not?

We live in Liverpool so if anyone is around that area that knows anything there that would also be great.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung
18th Apr 2018, 13:35
i know raan thai was looking for staff last visit i went thail supermarket in birkenhead but the downside is the english gets worse as they all thail that work there,try the libary always have courses on there .

Tom & Nok
18th Apr 2018, 15:00
Hi Rsmith89,

It would be worth looking at your local authority's Adult Community Learning (ACL) service or Adult Learning Service (ALS). I work with Camden ACL's ESOL provision here in London and we offer ESOL classes as well as other areas such as ICT with ESOL support, and ESOL to support going into employment.

I think that the Liverpool Adult Learning Service (ALS) may also offer something along these lines.

Have a look here (http://liverpool.gov.uk/schools-and-learning/adult-learning/our-courses/english-and-maths-courses/) as a starting point for Liverpool Adult Learning Service's ESOL classes, and here (http://liverpool.gov.uk/schools-and-learning/adult-learning/our-courses/course-list/) for classes in other subjects with ESOL support, e.g. "ICT with Language Support Functional Skills Entry Level". Encouragingly, I see that the Liverpool ALS ESOL entry states, "Courses at all levels are available, from entry level to level 1 and 2. We also work with Job Centre Plus."

Hope this helps.

marshall
18th Apr 2018, 16:55
A few people I've known from overseas have told me they learnt English when young mostly from watching films and music videos on youtube.
Find out what sort of film your wife likes and buy some dvds?

Samsung
18th Apr 2018, 18:26
A few people I've known from overseas have told me they learnt English when young mostly from watching films and music videos on youtube.
Find out what sort of film your wife likes and buy some dvds?ha ha its true i work with a romainian who learnt this way the only problem is he talks like sponge:lol: bob square pants

marshall
18th Apr 2018, 18:32
ha ha its true i work with a romainian who learnt this way the only problem is he talks like sponge:lol: bob square pants

Lol :D

rasg
19th Apr 2018, 00:20
My wife first went to and ESOL course in Hayes and the teacher was really, really bad. They "assessed" her in two or three minutes and put her in the pre entry class. Totally unsuitable for her.

We then went to Langley and the assessment took 45 minutes and she was then put into the main ESOL writing course where she has been thriving.

The difference in the two schools is dramatic.