PDA

View Full Version : Si Quey ( ooee ) & The Siriraj Hospital Museum

Casey Jones
18th Apr 2007, 02:48
I was on a beach in Phuket many years ago reading a copy of the Bangkok Post when I came upon an article that chose my next destination...Siriraj Hospital.

A full length picture of some dead dude standing up in a glass cabinet took my eye. The story goes something like 'A Chinese soldier called Si Quey ( pronounced si ooee ) fought the Japanese during World War Two. He eat the internal organs of each Jap he killed because he wanted to devour their fighting spirit to enhance his own. He ends up fighting the Chinese communist's & gets pushed out of China along with the rest of the nationalists. Northern Thailand becomes his home.

Unfortunately for the locals Si Quey's appitite for human flesh remains alive & so he goes on a bit of a killing spree...children are on the menu now'.

Anyway, he gets caught & executed & his body ends up being preserved in the Siriraj Hospital & hence it's display to the general public.

A generation of Thai kids are brought up on stories of this dude & how if they are naughty or not careful Si Quey will come & get them. This guy was the original Freddy Kruger make no mistake!

So after my trip to Phuket I head up to Bangkok & on to Siriraj. This was back in 91/92 & I'd just discovered those magazines that were so freely available in Thailand, full of dead folk & the stories of how they became that way. You must remember them? I actually had a load taken off me when arriving at Heathrow Airport a few years later. Anyway...there was some kind of museum at the hospital. It was full of dead folk, bit's of dead folk & inquisitive dudes like me. I took plenty of photo's & video footage. After all, where in the UK is this kind of stuff on show to the general public?

Si Quey was stood there in a glass case. He reminded me of an Egyptian mummy with the colour & texture of his skin. It seemed a strange thing to do to a person so hated & feared but then maybe it's the ultimate comeuppance, to reduce such a feared figure to one that looked so dejected & forlorn...a man who looked like he was made entirely of beef jerky!

Next to him in another glass case stood the body of a rapist in the same state of preservation. Dotted around the museum were human heads & limbs, forensic evidence from murder trials & various other bits & bobs that looked like they'd come from the site of a battle field.

I returned to Siriraj again back in '95 to show a few Australian friends of mine this strange museum. We had been informed that there was alot more of this kind of 'stuff' on display on the second floor of the hospital but at the time it was only open to medical students. Whether this is the case now I have no idea. We went looking for this room & stumbled upon it through a set of double doors. It was quite large in it's lay out. In there were many bodies. All in glass cases or jars. It really was an eye opener. To think this is what our medical staff see as part of their training! Whilst we was there a guy walked in & asked us who we were. I just replied that we had come from Edinburgh University & that we was informed by a member of staff downstairs we'd be ok to view this. He just asked us not to touch anything & then he left us to it & we continued our tour.

That was back then. My interest in this kind of stuff has since dwindled. Maybe it's because the years are marching on & one day those exhibits could soon be me or maybe I've grown up & learnt to respect the dead a bit more. Regardless of why...I've not been back since & doubt I ever will again.

Those early days I spent travelling around Thailand were interesting times. I look back through the thousands of photo's I have from then & sometimes wish I could turn the clock back. Time stands still for no man, although Si Quey seems to of gotten himself trapped in one fateful day back in the 1950's when the hangman's noose brought an end to his rein of terror.

Anyone interested in visiting the 'attraction's' at the Siriraj Hospital check this (http://www.thaioasis.com/bkkv/siriraj01.php#epmanchor) link out.

Casey Jones
18th Apr 2007, 02:48
I was on a beach in Phuket many years ago reading a copy of the Bangkok Post when I came upon an article that chose my next destination...Siriraj Hospital.

A full length picture of some dead dude standing up in a glass cabinet took my eye. The story goes something like 'A Chinese soldier called Si Quey ( pronounced si ooee ) fought the Japanese during World War Two. He eat the internal organs of each Jap he killed because he wanted to devour their fighting spirit to enhance his own. He ends up fighting the Chinese communist's & gets pushed out of China along with the rest of the nationalists. Northern Thailand becomes his home.

Unfortunately for the locals Si Quey's appitite for human flesh remains alive & so he goes on a bit of a killing spree...children are on the menu now'.

Anyway, he gets caught & executed & his body ends up being preserved in the Siriraj Hospital & hence it's display to the general public.

A generation of Thai kids are brought up on stories of this dude & how if they are naughty or not careful Si Quey will come & get them. This guy was the original Freddy Kruger make no mistake!

So after my trip to Phuket I head up to Bangkok & on to Siriraj. This was back in 91/92 & I'd just discovered those magazines that were so freely available in Thailand, full of dead folk & the stories of how they became that way. You must remember them? I actually had a load taken off me when arriving at Heathrow Airport a few years later. Anyway...there was some kind of museum at the hospital. It was full of dead folk, bit's of dead folk & inquisitive dudes like me. I took plenty of photo's & video footage. After all, where in the UK is this kind of stuff on show to the general public?

Si Quey was stood there in a glass case. He reminded me of an Egyptian mummy with the colour & texture of his skin. It seemed a strange thing to do to a person so hated & feared but then maybe it's the ultimate comeuppance, to reduce such a feared figure to one that looked so dejected & forlorn...a man who looked like he was made entirely of beef jerky!

Next to him in another glass case stood the body of a rapist in the same state of preservation. Dotted around the museum were human heads & limbs, forensic evidence from murder trials & various other bits & bobs that looked like they'd come from the site of a battle field.

I returned to Siriraj again back in '95 to show a few Australian friends of mine this strange museum. We had been informed that there was alot more of this kind of 'stuff' on display on the second floor of the hospital but at the time it was only open to medical students. Whether this is the case now I have no idea. We went looking for this room & stumbled upon it through a set of double doors. It was quite large in it's lay out. In there were many bodies. All in glass cases or jars. It really was an eye opener. To think this is what our medical staff see as part of their training! Whilst we was there a guy walked in & asked us who we were. I just replied that we had come from Edinburgh University & that we was informed by a member of staff downstairs we'd be ok to view this. He just asked us not to touch anything & then he left us to it & we continued our tour.

That was back then. My interest in this kind of stuff has since dwindled. Maybe it's because the years are marching on & one day those exhibits could soon be me or maybe I've grown up & learnt to respect the dead a bit more. Regardless of why...I've not been back since & doubt I ever will again.

Those early days I spent travelling around Thailand were interesting times. I look back through the thousands of photo's I have from then & sometimes wish I could turn the clock back. Time stands still for no man, although Si Quey seems to of gotten himself trapped in one fateful day back in the 1950's when the hangman's noose brought an end to his rein of terror.

Anyone interested in visiting the 'attraction's' at the Siriraj Hospital check this (http://www.thaioasis.com/bkkv/siriraj01.php#epmanchor) link out.

Casey Jones
18th Apr 2007, 02:49
Me & Si Quey back in '91

http://stockauditor.co.uk/tuk/0704/img899.jpg

Casey Jones
18th Apr 2007, 02:50
Si Quey

http://stockauditor.co.uk/tuk/0704/img900.jpg

Casey Jones
18th Apr 2007, 02:56
Face of a monster

http://stockauditor.co.uk/tuk/0704/img901.jpg

IanB
18th Apr 2007, 03:48
Any other morbid interests, CJ? :eek:

Ian

Casey Jones
18th Apr 2007, 05:15
Any other morbid interests, CJ?

Believe it or not Ian it was hard finding photos from my collection on these two subjects I've just written without worry of them being sensored. As for morbid...it's a matter of taste & interest...& both change with time.

SteveR
18th Apr 2007, 06:15
I've been to both the pathological and forensic museums, they are very interesting and well worth visiting. This was back in 97.