PDA

View Full Version : play stations

robert d
8th Nov 2006, 17:15
right ,i have no idea about these gismos only theres 1&2 ans xbox.my sons have a play station 2.oy wants to buy one for her son in los.is it best for me to buy a cheap play station 1/2 in uk and take out there or just to buy over there.i have seen no.1's quite cheap here.

robert d
8th Nov 2006, 17:15
right ,i have no idea about these gismos only theres 1&2 ans xbox.my sons have a play station 2.oy wants to buy one for her son in los.is it best for me to buy a cheap play station 1/2 in uk and take out there or just to buy over there.i have seen no.1's quite cheap here.

SteveR
9th Nov 2006, 01:21
Buy it over there, one bought here would need to be modified to play the games over there. (PS2 is still reasonably expensive to mod too)

ash
9th Nov 2006, 01:47
Steve Are you sure ? I bought some games in LOS for Playstation which worked in the UK (or maybe they were xbox) but there was no mod needed.
It was a few years ago mind :confused:

ash

Natty
9th Nov 2006, 02:50
I would not even consider a PS1, from what I have seen in the MBK shopping center in BKK PS2's and PSP's are quite expensive new compared to the UK.

It would be better to get a PS2 that already had the modification of the chip but this chip can be purchased in BKK (a friend bought one out there but I recall it was not that cheap, maybe £35.00, not sure).
Choices are.
1. Buy a modified PS2 here and take to Thailand.
2. Buy an unmodified PS2 and modify in Thailand.

Check out E-bay UK and there is a Thai E-bay that may give you some local second hand prices to compare.

A PSP may be another option but I dont know if these are multi region or not and they a definately more expensive in BKK.

SteveR
9th Nov 2006, 05:53
As I understand it there is protection on UK ones so they only play UK PAL games. The official Thai ones are PAL too so maybe the games work.

However the majority of PS2 games available in Thailand are from Japan or are copies - which means that any machine will need to be modified.

The PS2 is £99 here, whereas an already modded PS2 in MBK was about 6000-7000B the last time I checked.

Not sure about Xbox games.

BigRed
9th Nov 2006, 06:41
buy an old style PS2 and a network adapter. These only fit the old bulky PS2's. Install an old hard disk, 40/80GB will do, Maxtor is the best bet. Buy a copy of HDAdvance then all games can be loaded onto the hard disk. The HDAdvance disk never needs to be taken out of the PS2 and only spins for a few seconds when the console starts.

This gives the following advantages:

1. Disks don't get scratched/damaged.
2. All the delays switching scenes are dramatically reduced as the HDD is at least 10 times faster than the DVD drive.
3. All games are listed on a menu.
4. There is hardly any wear on the DVD drive, which has always been a problem with PS2s.

BigRed

asngirly
9th Nov 2006, 11:36
My friend bought the games from this site www.nadzproject.com (http://www.nadzproject.com) in los. He told it's cheap and reliable.