PDA

View Full Version : Life could have been so different.

bilbo
18th Oct 2006, 09:19
Up C. started a thread about why people first went to Thailand.
I have been thinking since about quality of life, and the effect of going to Thailand that first time.
Did it actualy make life better or did it just make me turn too a more hedonistic life style
In reality it totally destroyed what I had previously thats for sure.
My life has never been the same. All I wanted to do in those early years was to get back to Thailand as soon as possible in doing so I neglected many things which I should not have done.
I have no regrets what's done is done.
But it could so easily have totally destroyed my life and that of others close to me.
When I think of the vast amounts of money I spent on plane tickets alone it now seems perhaps foolish.
I wonder how many lives are destroyed by taking that first trip?
It took me a long time to see the light and to get back to what I would term as sanity perhaps that is being harsh on myself.
I wonder how others view their experiences.
How many people would say I am sorry I ever went quite a few I think.

bilbo
18th Oct 2006, 09:19
Up C. started a thread about why people first went to Thailand.
I have been thinking since about quality of life, and the effect of going to Thailand that first time.
Did it actualy make life better or did it just make me turn too a more hedonistic life style
In reality it totally destroyed what I had previously thats for sure.
My life has never been the same. All I wanted to do in those early years was to get back to Thailand as soon as possible in doing so I neglected many things which I should not have done.
I have no regrets what's done is done.
But it could so easily have totally destroyed my life and that of others close to me.
When I think of the vast amounts of money I spent on plane tickets alone it now seems perhaps foolish.
I wonder how many lives are destroyed by taking that first trip?
It took me a long time to see the light and to get back to what I would term as sanity perhaps that is being harsh on myself.
I wonder how others view their experiences.
How many people would say I am sorry I ever went quite a few I think.

galahad
18th Oct 2006, 09:47
I hated my 1st visit there...Bkk for 3 days ..then 10 days in pattaya!
Luckily I went back 2 yrs later;and fell in love with the place :)

bilbo
18th Oct 2006, 09:54
I hated my 1st visit there...Bkk for 3 days ..then 10 days in pattaya!
Luckily I went back 2 yrs later;and fell in love with the place Smiler

So Galahad on reflection was going to Thailand overall a good or bad thing or have you not finished going and coming yet.

GTG
18th Oct 2006, 10:01
Well, it effectively destroyed a reasonable career, lead to me having my house repossessed and has eventually left me feeling a bit washed up and aimless BUT if you offered to swap me another 25 years of the way things were, for the 10 I had in Thailand, well, you'd have to try a lot harder. I wouldn't have my sons, for a start.

No regrets, coyote.

rolyshark
18th Oct 2006, 10:02
Blew most of my money on beer and women.

The rest I just wasted :lol:

prioritypress
18th Oct 2006, 10:05
Yep...I've spent a few quid in the last couple of years... :lol:

But I've been working hard...and your money...it's gotta go.. ;)

But seriously...I've got to start thinking about being a bit more sensible and decide where..."and with whom'... I want to spend the rest of my life... :confused:

Nick

thongchai
18th Oct 2006, 10:18
hi bilbo i first went to thailand in 1999 christmas time firstly with friend,s and had a great time, realy did feel very far from uk for me, and koh samui i remeber saying to my friends, parts of it looked like sences from mad max :crazy: i then returned to los on my own a couple of times each year, working and living just to go back there had no commitments here so for me it was ok, but sure i to can add up all that expensece but it was great holidays and for me life changing as i just knew from maybe the sececond time i went ,thailand and its people had won my heart, then met the wife and since then learnt lots more about los and feels like home everytime i land there and guess it will continue to be a very big part of my life which im happy about,
life changing yess :)
skint still yes :)
happy yes :)
cheers andy

prioritypress
18th Oct 2006, 10:23
life changing yess :)
skint still yes :)
happy :)
cheers andy

Sounds like you've cracked it.. :thumb:

Nick

thongchai
18th Oct 2006, 10:37
hi nick ,sounds like youve cracked it, i hope so but still not got s/v yet so some way to go.
and i too was at, where and whom to spend my life with ,
and just happy i made the right choice good luck
cheers andy

galahad
18th Oct 2006, 10:55
Definately a good thing;and in a perfect world where i was adequately money endowed I would love to stay 6 mths there-6 mths here.
I think the visits will become less frequent(just so the missus can see her family now and again);but the ultimate aim is to have the 6 mths here and there in the future.(15-20yrs time..i,m 43 now)
I,ll be an old fart by then(relying on pensions etc),but i couldn,t think of a better place to see out my days!

upcountry
18th Oct 2006, 12:35
Last time I ended up in Los was for a long stint, I had sold up everything over here, had no intention of coming back really. I spent a lot of my time looking at a lot of things and was advised by 2 working girls never to bring any money from the UK and Invest in Thailand, be it open bar, buy property etc. (good advice from what I saw happening around me)
I spent a few ££ travelling around but that included India, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam

I am aiming for the same lifestyle as Galahad, 6 months here, 6 months there, myself and my wife are working to get ourselfs in that position hopefully in 10 years time. Going to have to live with 3 weeks a year out there for now. My wife likes to remind me, I am not single now, I cant just jump on a plane and take off when I feel like it.

I met my wife when I was drinking a bottle of whisky a day, shoving 20 10mg Vals down my neck, so in a way my last trip saved me......

steve&saranya
18th Oct 2006, 23:10
first time to the thailand masters snooker in bangkok with a fellow board member, he was working for the media covering it.
me holiday watched snooker in a fewww places. what an eye opener, culture shock, thought this place is so cheap.
within months back twice 2 week trips then they turned into 3
travelled around do the tourist stuff. everytime in bkk airport arrivals seemed like i was coming home departures was a nightmare many times thinking do i get on the plane to come home.
met the wife trawelled the forum for info we married and sv within a few weeks, bank balance was healthy before i went first time, now with a wife daughter and another daughter due christmas week balance aint like it used to be.
dont get back has often as i did saranya likes it here and is settled.
its changed my life completely, totally different outlook on life and seeing the daughter grow up you just cannot put a price on it.
very happy but poorer.

steve

Zohak
19th Oct 2006, 01:13
I think if I hadnt gone to thailand when i did I probably wouldnt be here now!

at the time I was working hard, hadnt had a holiday for 2 yrs and probably had about 5 days off in that time. On top of that I had a serious gambling problem.

Going to Thailand made the difference, I fell in love with it the moment I came out of the airport, it eventually led me to see there was more to life than what I was currently doing.

Tony & Na
19th Oct 2006, 02:04
I think the posts say it all,
bank balance poorer, but life enriched :)

Tobias
19th Oct 2006, 02:14
This might sound controversial, although not meant to be, but I can honestly say visiting Thailand has had absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever :shrug:

ash
19th Oct 2006, 02:38
Its made you determined not to live there ever :D or so you have said on several occasions
ash

Tobias
19th Oct 2006, 03:01
No, not 'determined' Ash, just no 'desire' :shrug:

alvin
19th Oct 2006, 06:11
Tobias said

This might sound controversial, although not meant to be, but I can honestly say visiting Thailand has had absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever

I think an interesting stance in your view as a highly respected 'mod'/person on this site, intending to advise, guide and sometimes delve into more serious aspects of folk highly involved with relationships with LOS and or with settlement plans!

No offence intended whatsoever, but like many other relatively 'newbiles' to this site, firstly out of interest why? (although none of mine/or anyone else"s business of course). I was just a little surprised to hear you say that. Feel free to tell me to b****r off!

alvin

Grahame
19th Oct 2006, 06:26
Originally posted by rolyshark:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :thumb:

austen
19th Oct 2006, 08:35
Tobias

I see you joined the forum on 21 June 2003.

Surely if you'd never visted Thailand before or during this you wouldn't joined and been an active member/mod for over 3 years ?

After the initial excitement died off I like you feel no great desire to live in Thailand. At a pinch I could live in Bangkok but my lifestyle would be nearer to one I have now than 'doing a Thaddeus'. However I can't say that visiting Thailand hasn't had a great effect on my life.

Austen

bilbo
19th Oct 2006, 10:11
This might sound controversial, although not meant to be, but I can honestly say visiting Thailand has had absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever Shrug

Tobias how many hours per day do you spend monitoring this THAI site.
You would not be doing it shorly if not for visiting Thailand
the number of hours you spend here I would say has an impact on you life.
I suppose we will have to wait for a reply while you toddle off home and stop off for a quick one in Pomaroys wine bar

Mark W
19th Oct 2006, 12:03
This might sound controversial, although not meant to be, but I can honestly say visiting Thailand has had absolutely no impact on my life whatsoever :shrug:

Well, it wouldn't would it. :D Meeting Jenny sure has though. :eek:

Tobias
19th Oct 2006, 14:13
There is nothing really remarkable in my statement. Don't get me wrong, I have a tremendous respect for the Thai populous, but to me the country is just another foreign country (like every other) but one that has some very warm and genuine people for whom I have a great respect.

But the country itself has had no impact on my life (being the subject of this thread). Yes, I've enjoyed the culture and the experience, but that is as far as it has affected me. I have been very fortunate in that I have travelled widely on business and (to a lesser extent) for leisure but no country (and I've visited over 100) has had any impact on my life. I am a pretty simple Englishman who is proud to be British, and I have no desires or aspirations to live anywhere else apart from England. I am happy with my lot.

I'm sure some of you are thinking well, what about Jenny? As Mark W has already alluded to, meeting Jenny has had a massive impact on my life; I have never experienced a happier period in my life as that I am enjoying at the moment - all that is because of Jenny and the way my life has been enriched since that beautiful day fate dealt its card and I was fortunate enough to meet her ... ... but that has nothing whatever to do with me being in Thailand. Why? Jenny and I met here in England! None of that visa nonsense for us :D

Thailand is a beautiful place in many senses, a place where I am certain to return in the future, but (in my case) visiting Thailand was not a life-changing experience, it did not change my life or alter its direction. But it is still a wonderful place.

I trust that helps clarify what I mean?

Ron-Tik
19th Oct 2006, 15:28
quote from Tobias,

........................................................................................................................

I am a pretty simple Englishman who is proud to be British, and I have no desires or aspirations to live anywhere else apart from England. I am happy with my lot.

..........................................................................................................................

Me too, and I couldn't live in LOS or any other Country where there is uncertainties and lack of amenities compared to the UK.

alvin
20th Oct 2006, 00:29
Ron said
Me too, and I couldn't live in LOS or any other Country where there is uncertainties and lack of amenities compared to the UK.

Lack of amenities/uncertanties such as?

Or do you prefer or mean? :

our filthy litter-strewn streets, parks and public places, our over-priced, dirty and ageing transport system(s), cut-backs in local govt/NH services, our laddish-laddette-yob culture, the demise of family values/life, our ever spiralling taxes (stealth/actual), rocketing cost of living, our lack of affordable sports/leisure facilities, not to say lack of respect for the elderly/parents/teachers, general level of crime, binge drinking/drug problems......and as for our politicians, they are so squeaky clean also???

I do not hate my country, but, yes, I will not be missing any of the above thank you very much!?

Thank you Tobias for your honest reply - each to their own.

But, my wife to be and I can't wait for the day when we will be in a position to jack in our lives (existence) in the U.K for a richer one in LOS (or elsewhere) as I am not saying we WILL be spending all our remaining days in Thailand there either.

regards

alvin

STA
20th Oct 2006, 00:40
our filthy litter-strewn streets, parks and public places, our over-priced, dirty and ageing transport system(s), cut-backs in local govt/NH services, our laddish-laddette-yob culture, the demise of family values/life, our ever spiralling taxes (stealth/actual), rocketing cost of living, our lack of affordable sports/leisure facilities, not to say lack of respect for the elderly/parents/teachers, general level of crime, binge drinking/drug problems......and as for our politicians, they are so squeaky clean also???

It sound like kwangs description of Thailand :D

e.t.v
20th Oct 2006, 01:16
my first visit was with a friend who was in the same boat as i was in at the time(as in had just split up with long term partners)
up to then the only long haul i had done was with the ex of the time to the states and dominican rep.
went to bkk then phuket ,like many others before me i had a ball and ended up going for i think it was two or three a times a year for three years before meeting the good lady wife.
did i blow a fortune yes,but i had no responsablities back here at the time ,so it was all put down to life experiances.
would i change it?
no
have things changed oh Yes now i have no money 555555.

-Keith-
20th Oct 2006, 03:41
Life could have been so different

Who knows what we could have ended up with without Thailand

Sexy Falang Lady (http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=507732229697832036&q=genre%3Acomedy)

ps: please do not watch the above if you have just eaten :eek:

bilbo
20th Oct 2006, 07:20

Alvin
That could have been a Thai talking :nod:

bilbo
20th Oct 2006, 07:26
Who knows what we could have ended up with without Thailand

Sexy Falang Lady[/quote]

Hi Kieth got any more of your home videos :lol:

Tony & Apple
20th Oct 2006, 11:08
our filthy litter-strewn streets

- have you seen the streets of bangkok

our over-priced, dirty and ageing transport system(s)

- just take a bus once in bangkok and then you will see what dirty and ageing look like

cut-backs in local govt/NH services

- NHS is free at the point of entry

our laddish-laddette-yob culture

- thailand has one to.

the demise of family values/life,

globalisation is having a huge impact on family values in thailand

general level of crime

- the have crime in thailand to

drug problems

- huge drug problems in thailand

politicians, they are so squeaky clean also

- at least something you can say about thailand is that their politicians are upstanding citzens:lol:

Peter
20th Oct 2006, 11:32
When I went trekking Nepal in 1999 it was a life changing experience. The Nepali people seemed very sincere despite being extremely poor. Not seeing a car for a whole week and watching the sunset on the distant snowcapped peaks of the Himalayas was very moving.

In contrast my first visit to Thailand was a bit of a let-down. Bangkok was too busy, too polluted, too smelly and too hot (40C in April). Thai people didn't come across as sincere as the Nepalis. They seem to be rushing headlong into westernisation. Materialism is the new Thai religion, not Buddhism.

Thailand is a land of illusion for many farangs. They visit there and like the people and even fancy the idea of living in Thailand permanently. Unfortunately, it is extremely difficult for foreigners to get Thai nationality or have the right to live permanently in Thailand. If you are rich they are happy to let you visit, but when the cash runs out so does your welcome. My suspicion is that most people who think they are moving permanently to Thailand will end up coming back to the UK when their money or health gives out in 10-15 years.

Someone who is 40 may move to Thailand and think they are set for life. They may still have another 40 years to survive their. How many people who sold their £2000 house in the UK emigrated to Thailand back in 1966 are still living comfortably in their Thai retirement? Probably none.

caller
20th Oct 2006, 12:43
Peter

I'm sure that a few of us have had semi-spiritual experiences across a range of continents. I even recall getting a thrill leaving the UK on a caLm, balmy, bright, moon-lit evening, finding the white cliffs awe inspiring as they faded into the distance in the midnight light, when leaving the UK on a ferry from Dover and thinking life was great.

But to compare trekking in Nepal to what you found in Bangkok is a bit extreme!

Nowadays, Nepal isn't so safe for trekkers.

Ron-Tik
20th Oct 2006, 14:31
:clap: :clap: :clap: A&A. :thumb:

robert d
20th Oct 2006, 19:29
when my ex wife asked for a divorce i decided id take a holiday,i had a nephew living in thailand.went to see him and spent loads on women and beer.went again a month later and decided to go into partnership with him(phuket).we opened a very good bar/restaurant which was very popular.life was good,i had taken a career break for 1 year.i hoped that after the year i would never return.but like many before the partnership turned sour for many reasons,trust bieng the biggest for me.i made my mind up after 6 months to return to uk ,i had met my now wife who worked as a cook for us and set the wheels in motion for her visa etc.i had a great year but my regret is that apart from the odd trip to her home town i never saw enough of the place,i spent 14-16 hors a day around the bar while my "partner" always seemed to be sourcing products etc.i have since advised a few people not to enter the bar industry unless its as a hobby.we are in the uk all ok but wish to retire to los when the times right.im having a house built but would love to open a resort aiming for the eco tourist promoting the real thailand in the provinsces of the beaten track (bird watchers,hikers,painters etc).i have done quite a bit of work on this and a lot of the groundwork in los has been done,i just need the investment,i was toying with re-mortgage but then not cost effective to rent house in uk out,even thought of selling and using that but then head kicks in and having already seen what may happen dont fancy coming back here to no job,house etc(im 43 now)any ideas on raising 20-30 k .please dont say go to bank!!!!.or should i forget the dream stay here until pension age then go(i probably wont reach pension age).

upcountry
20th Oct 2006, 20:08
robert d
work hard, no such thing as easy money you should know that at your age.

From what I have seen the only way to sustain a decent lifestyle over there is to have a income from the UK, whatever money you take over there stays over there and is slowly whittled away.

Good luck in what you do.

robert d
20th Oct 2006, 20:48
up country,
your right i do work very hard i was putting loads into avc pension but crap return and cant touch the stuff until at least 55,i probably know the answers to the question. i actually haave a friend who is willing to invest but ive been down that route before and do not wish to be at his beck and call.i may take another carrer break and get a business loan. we are happy here but as you know the lure of the place is always there.

Boo
20th Oct 2006, 23:16
If it a really good idea & it has most of the planning done, why not approach thai banks or the TAT with a business proposal. If it is a business to encourage eco tourists to thailand then your wife (& by default, you) may be eligable for a government grant?

Peter
21st Oct 2006, 02:35
Unless you work for a multi-national corporation, the ability to earn money in Thailand (legally) is limited by the many laws which prohibit foreign ownership of business and foreigners working in certain professions. There is the old joke "How do you make a small fortune in Thailand? Answer: First take a large fortune there and then start a business".

prioritypress
21st Oct 2006, 04:28
I would say the that 99% of people don't make any money...but some do...

The English guy who owns the Londoner pub in Bangkok (amongst other things) has an oil and gas company that employs 2000 people...But he has been there over 30 years :)

Certain bars...The Blues Factory in Pattaya for example ... and certain dive schools...the one I used in Samui run by some germans was started 15 years ago...they turned over about £15k a month...

The Ark Bar in Samui, £12k a month...there is money to be made...but like everything in life, it's all about luck and timing... :thumb:

Nick

Henson
21st Oct 2006, 04:54
About two weeks ago my wife and I visited the home of one of her newly arrived Thai friends.

I was introduced to her husband and his friend (who is currently trying to get a visa for his Thai girlfriend).

These guys both worked in well-earning jobs it seemed as they had been throwing large amounts of money away lately. One of them was upset because his latest trips to Thailand had all cost some £1400 through BA, and he did not seem aware that much cheaper flights could have been had through dialaflight or other various internet sites. Even more amazing was the story he told about how he had been reprimanded by his boss for spending £800 a month on the company phone in calling Thailand. he had been spending this amount for many months and seemed grateful and surprised when I told him that by signing up to 18185.co.uk he could call Thailand for a few pennies a minute.
Of course, these guys were busy professionals who may not have had the time to browse for this kind of information.

Still, with this background I did have my doubts when they told me that they were planning to set up business together in Thailand. They were probably very skilled in their trade but the most time they had ever spent in Thailand was 2 weeks. They had this notion that Thailand was a ripe market and that they could exploit this. I did not want to be negative but just raised some of the stories I had heard of in terms of how mangled up Thai legislation was for foreign businesses. They had heard about this, but thought that by marrying Thai they could get a foot in the door.
These guys may become successful in Thailand - what do I know. But they just seemed a little bit like adventurers to me which may go for a lot of similar guys who venture out to do business in Thailand?

prioritypress
21st Oct 2006, 06:17
The Number 1 priority must be learn to read and write Thai...

Nick

mellowsailor
21st Oct 2006, 07:09
But they just seemed a little bit like adventurers to me which may go for a lot of similar guys who venture out to do business in Thailand?
I think you're right. Met a guy on our last visit out there just like those you describe. He had built up (by his own account) a successful business in UK, but after a divorce and paying off his ex-wife he had, on the basis of a very brief time there, decided to stay in Thailand and set up in business. Very brash, seemed to think the locals would be impressed because he wore a suit and liked spicy food :shrug: I wouldn't speak to a dog the way he bullied his girlfriend, I felt so sorry for her. I was wondering the other day what became of him (and her)

prioritypress
21st Oct 2006, 10:05
Either skint...or floating in a "klong"... :confused:

Nick

bilbo
23rd Oct 2006, 08:26
I was wondering the other day what became of him (and her)
by mellowsailor

Perhaps a nice barbecue? preceded by some nut cracking. :lol:

Chris Buck
24th Oct 2006, 06:51
Originally posted by rolyshark:

George Best:
“I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars, the rest I just squandered.“ ;)

GTG
24th Oct 2006, 14:24
Oh, now you've gone and given Roly's secret identity away! His reported 'death' was just to establish deep cover.

Steve J
25th Oct 2006, 05:33
Like Tobias,I was lucky enough to meet my wife here in England,as her sister is married to a mate of mine.My life changed for the better the day i met Sairung and i have not once had cause to bemoan the loss of my old lifestyle.

Yes,Thailand has it's faults like any other country,but it has something our country has forgotten...Respect.I have been lucky to spend time in my Wife's home village and meet her family and friends,living like a Thai rather than a tourist.Bangkok to me is like any any big city i've visited,London,New York,Milan etc...busy,vibrant,but not a place i want to live in.Give me the real folks who live in the countryside anytime :)
Steve & Sairung

rolyshark
25th Oct 2006, 07:25
Oh, now you've gone and given Roly's secret identity away! His reported 'death' was just to establish deep cover.
Naa-drinking was just a hobby for George,some of us take it seriously :eek: :)