PDA

View Full Version : Flight tickets

Daisy
29th Nov 2007, 13:23
Thanks to this site, my Fiancee is currently in the UK on a Fiancee Visa. We will be getting married in Feb next year, and going back to Thailand after she has FLR in March.

However, as she will be taking my name after marriage, I'm not quite sure which name to book the flight tickets in (I need to book tickets soon!). I'm aware of the "name on the passport must match the name on the ticket" rule, but while in Thailand we are hoping to get her surname on the passport changed to match mine?

Anyone any experience of this recently? Do they just restamp the passport in Thailand with her new surname after seeing the marriage certificate?

Daisy
29th Nov 2007, 13:23
Thanks to this site, my Fiancee is currently in the UK on a Fiancee Visa. We will be getting married in Feb next year, and going back to Thailand after she has FLR in March.

However, as she will be taking my name after marriage, I'm not quite sure which name to book the flight tickets in (I need to book tickets soon!). I'm aware of the "name on the passport must match the name on the ticket" rule, but while in Thailand we are hoping to get her surname on the passport changed to match mine?

Anyone any experience of this recently? Do they just restamp the passport in Thailand with her new surname after seeing the marriage certificate?

Flip
29th Nov 2007, 14:34
You should book her return ticket to Thailand in her maiden name unless you want to send her passport to the Thai embassy in London after your marriage and can be sure of getting it back before you travel.

I don't know the procedure for the new biometric passports but with the old ones it was just a matter of getting a stamp inside stating that the name has been changed through marriage.

The 'name on the ticket must match the name on the passport' rule does not always apply. My wife's passport is in her maiden name but has the name change stamp inside. I have always booked her tickets in her married name. Granted, that has been after the name change stamp was in place.

Daisy
30th Nov 2007, 04:28
Thanks for the response, makes sense to do it in her maiden name then. She has what she calls an "e-passport" which she says can not be stamped with her new name, so maybe the best option would be for the Thai embassy to update it when we get back.

ian allcock
30th Nov 2007, 08:53
Daisey,
Why not change old biometric passport for new one at MOFA in Bangkok when you go back after FLR in March 2008,it would save alot of time.
Not forgetting that you will need to carry 2 passports everywhere because FLR will be in old passport.
Also change name Tambien Bahn and get new i.d card :thumb:

Ian

Noi & Nick
30th Nov 2007, 11:21
The 'name on the ticket must match the name in the passport' rule is not negotiable, AFAIK. I have often been warned when buying tickets to check the spelling of all names, as even a simple spelling error means that the airline could refuse carriage.

Flip, the name change stamp does what it says, it changes the name in the passport. Once placed in the passport then the name on the ticket must match this name.

Daisy, if you book a return ticket in her maiden name and then change the name in her passport whilst in Bangkok then I am 99.9% certain that she will be unable to use the return ticket. 100% certain if she actually gets a new passport in her married name.

However, there is no compulsion under either UK or Thai law for a wife to take her husbands surname on marriage. Also, at least in the UK, she can use both names for different things (as long as there is no intent to deceive).

Therefore I would suggest you have 4 options:-
Don't bother changing the name until the current passport expires. Simply remember to always book her tickets in the name on the passport. Book the tickets in her maiden name and worry about changing her passport after you return to the UK. Book the tickets in her married name and hope you can get her passport changed before you leave. Book a single ticket to BKK in her maiden name, change her passport whilst there and then book a single BKK to UK in her married name.I know which I would do. In fact, the first option is what Noi did do.

Linne
30th Nov 2007, 11:29
Nick how long has this rule been in force. ????
I had this issue many years ago and the airline simply told the lady to bring her marriage certificate !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I,m sure that even if the airline does cooperate it will charge.

Noi & Nick
30th Nov 2007, 11:51
For as long as I've been buying airline tickets to foreign parts I've always been told by the booking agent to ensure that the name on the ticket matches the name on the passport; exactly.

My first international flight? 1972. :shrug:

The issue also came up when we first married, and the airline (Thai) insisted that name on ticket matched name on passport; no exceptions.

However, if someone can provide evidence of some sort that tickets in married name plus a passport in maiden name and a marriage certificate (or similar) will be acceptable, then that's fine.

Flip
30th Nov 2007, 13:16
Flip, the name change stamp does what it says, it changes the name in the passport. Once placed in the passport then the name on the ticket must match this name.

Which is precisely why I advised him to book the ticket in her maiden name. When I stated 'return ticket' I wasn't making a distiction between the outbound and inbound legs - I meant book a return ticket, which is what most people do.

When I say the rule doesn't always apply, I mean that the name on the identification page of the passport may not match the name on the ticket, I mean because that name may have been changed via the stamp. As I said - 'Granted, that has been after the name change stamp was in place.'

Ian,

Why not change old biometric passport for new one at MOFA in Bangkok when you go back after FLR in March 2008,it would save alot of time.

I was under the impression that the new passports were Biometric.............no?

ian allcock
2nd Dec 2007, 08:24
Flip,
yes all new passports are bio's , i was referring to the fact that
She has what she calls an "e-passport" which she says can not be stamped with her new name,
i.e has bio passport in maiden name hence new bio passport needed for name change.

Ian

Daisy
9th Dec 2007, 05:37
Many thanks for the responses, I've gone with option 1 of Nick's suggestions and booked the tickets in her maiden name. Fingers crossed for FLR!