PDA

View Full Version : Marriage procedure confusion

chocolate-eater
27th Nov 2007, 14:00
Marriage Procedure.

Guys we have decided to get married after 3 years together and I am slightly confused after looking at the website British Embassy (http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1068717516870) and trawling this excellent forum..

Now my first (hopefully not) problem is I arrive 23rd December in the afternoon. We go to Phuket on 2nd January. With the embassy closed 24th, 25th and 26th I will need to take my affirmation on 27th. I guess it will be busy due to the holidays but I am correct in saying I would get it back next day?

Then I find someone to do the translation. There’s quite a bit of conflicting advice whether to use the guys outside the embassy or not. Does anyone have any recommendations of somewhere which is good value that are bricks and mortar we can visit?

Now after this is done on the website it says to “Have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified” from Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Now this takes two days? So do I assume we can not get “married” until this is done? My confusion comes from this post

previous post (http://thailand-uk.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/94010002/m/8861026681)

in particular Andy22 who said he visited the ampher after getting the translation done and the marriage procedure was all done in 2 hours. I seem to be missing something here, and seek your advice before I arrive as I am worried that time is critical for us with the holidays.

Next query sorry. My girlfriend was married but it was just a village wedding. Did not last long. She said it’s not a legal wedding, just a village wedding, so do we just ignore this as she has no documents to say she was married?

Also again from the above post what is the “house book”. I am not sure I have ever heard of this and my girlfriend has never mentioned it. She comes from a village in Roi Et and will not be visiting again before we get married so is this something the family has?

Sorry for all the questions but I don’t want the most important day of our lives to not happen due to our misunderstandings and seek help from you good guys.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Chocolate-eater.

chocolate-eater
27th Nov 2007, 14:00
Marriage Procedure.

Guys we have decided to get married after 3 years together and I am slightly confused after looking at the website British Embassy (http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1068717516870) and trawling this excellent forum..

Now my first (hopefully not) problem is I arrive 23rd December in the afternoon. We go to Phuket on 2nd January. With the embassy closed 24th, 25th and 26th I will need to take my affirmation on 27th. I guess it will be busy due to the holidays but I am correct in saying I would get it back next day?

Then I find someone to do the translation. There’s quite a bit of conflicting advice whether to use the guys outside the embassy or not. Does anyone have any recommendations of somewhere which is good value that are bricks and mortar we can visit?

Now after this is done on the website it says to “Have the affirmation authenticated and translation certified” from Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Now this takes two days? So do I assume we can not get “married” until this is done? My confusion comes from this post

previous post (http://thailand-uk.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/94010002/m/8861026681)

in particular Andy22 who said he visited the ampher after getting the translation done and the marriage procedure was all done in 2 hours. I seem to be missing something here, and seek your advice before I arrive as I am worried that time is critical for us with the holidays.

Next query sorry. My girlfriend was married but it was just a village wedding. Did not last long. She said it’s not a legal wedding, just a village wedding, so do we just ignore this as she has no documents to say she was married?

Also again from the above post what is the “house book”. I am not sure I have ever heard of this and my girlfriend has never mentioned it. She comes from a village in Roi Et and will not be visiting again before we get married so is this something the family has?

Sorry for all the questions but I don’t want the most important day of our lives to not happen due to our misunderstandings and seek help from you good guys.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Chocolate-eater.

Flip
27th Nov 2007, 14:27
Firstly, given yout time predicament, I would use the services of an agent.............just to see you through the marriage thing. Usually the affirmation can be collected the next day but I took mine in early in the morning and was told I could collect it that afternoon.

I would recommend using a guy known here as The Old Man. His name is Preecha Wattankul - sorry I have lost his details but someone here will have them..................guys???? His office is close to the embassy.

Second, your wife's 'marriage' was not a marriage in the eyes of the law so you don't have to worry about it as long as it wasn't registered at the local amphur.

The 'house book' is the Tabien Baan. Its like a registration document for a house and records all those who live there. The family will have this document and your wife will need at least a copy of it.

Mark W
28th Nov 2007, 00:25
Originally posted by Flip:

I would recommend using a guy known here as The Old Man. His name is Preecha Wattankul - sorry I have lost his details but someone here will have them..................guys???? His office is close to the embassy.

Here ya go

Preecha Wattanakul
Original Translation Center,
560 Phlenchit, Lumpini, Pathumwan, BKK, 10300
Tel 22519696
Mob 015864610 or 063074822

Lucky
28th Nov 2007, 03:51
You're only just up the road from me, if you want pm me and we can meet for a chat and I can run you through the procedure.

chocolate-eater
2nd Dec 2007, 14:30
Hi Lucky, not sure if you seen my pm I sent a few days back?

btw I asked my girlfriend about the Tabien Bein book and she laughed as she knew this was needed and told me not to worry.

Derren

Lucky
3rd Dec 2007, 04:16
Derren
I have PM'd my tel no to you.
Speak to you soon!

chocolate-eater
7th Jan 2008, 00:25
I need a little more help here. I have all docs translated approved etc. We did not get married in Bkk for various reasons.

Can someone let me know how long the papers are valid for?

Thanks

Derren

maokaang
7th Jan 2008, 01:16
I need a little more help here. I have all docs translated approved etc. ... Can someone let me know how long the papers are valid for? Hi Derren

What documents/papers are you referring to?

Lucky
7th Jan 2008, 02:47
Derren
If you are referring to affirmation of freedom to marriage then your wedding must take place within three months of issue.

chocolate-eater
8th Jan 2008, 21:05
Yes that was what I was referring to - sorry to much sun!!!

Thanks Lucky.

Derren

ChelseaBill
11th Jan 2008, 10:43
Chocolate Eater,

Congrats in advance!

Village wedding doesn't count. Only 'registered' marriages at an Amphur are recognised as legit. I went through the village ceremony bit and then 'registered' the marriage at Bangrak Amphur, Bangkok. We were issued a pretty double certificate (all in Thai) by the Bangrak Amphur during the administration. Don't forget to have a witness at the Amphur!

With the marriage all legit, Phorn and I then trapsed to 'Express Translation' at the foot of the Ploenchit BTS staircase (next to Kodak printing shop), on the even side of the Soi. Excellent service. Government stamped and certified translated certificates were handed over the following day. As the express translations are only a 4-500 THB a pop, you may wish to seriously consider having 2 or 3 certified translated copies of your certified marriage certificate in your arsenal - always handy and always needed somewhere along the route!

Bill

PS I've used Express Translations for several years now and they have never let me down. The French, American and British Consulates seem to know these folks...

chocolate-eater
14th Jan 2008, 06:21
Originally posted by ChelseaBill:
Chocolate Eater,

Congrats in advance!

PS I've used Express Translations for several years now and they have never let me down. The French, American and British Consulates seem to know these folks...

Well afraid we did not get married in the end. Afraid illness struck me down for a good number of days and with public holidays and our own schedule the gods were against us.

We discussed getting married next year which we will do but was not the plan but maybe just aswell as I will be more financially stable then.

So she will visit, I will get another holiday in LOS next year so it does have it benefits.

Derren