PDA

View Full Version : Age difference? Does visa application go against you?

Fireblade
19th Feb 2008, 03:48
Is age difference a factor when applying for a visitor visa application to the UK, I would hope it isnt as I am reasonably confident of success, that is unless its a numbers game. Known each other for a year, telephone contact daily, etc. Any thoughts please. Thank you in anticipation . . . Blade

[MODERATOR EDIT (Tobias): Content edited to include text from duplicated topic]

Fireblade
19th Feb 2008, 03:48
Is age difference a factor when applying for a visitor visa application to the UK, I would hope it isnt as I am reasonably confident of success, that is unless its a numbers game. Known each other for a year, telephone contact daily, etc. Any thoughts please. Thank you in anticipation . . . Blade

[MODERATOR EDIT (Tobias): Content edited to include text from duplicated topic]

db1
19th Feb 2008, 03:53
If you are a man of eighty years and she a girl of sixteen/ eighteen then probable yes, if she is under a certain age then she needs to get parents permission, other than that I dont think age comes into it.

Fireblade
19th Feb 2008, 03:59
Not that big a gap, Im 52 and she is 22. I would hope this really would not come into the equasion

db1
19th Feb 2008, 04:10
That then should not be a problem, just make sure you have all your papers and documents and she has a reason to return.

Flip
19th Feb 2008, 05:16
In fact it does come into it but I guess it depends on the views of the particular ECO considering the application.

When my wife applied for her settlement visa the ECO commented about our age difference and asked her if she was sure she wanted to be with a man 20 years older than her (46 & 26) - we had already been married for 8 months!

Remember the ECO is a British National and such age differences are rare here. Guidelines or not, ECO's are also human. Maybe in cases where there is a large age difference its better to make sure that the proof of relationship is that little bit stronger.

Fireblade
19th Feb 2008, 05:28
Thank you for your kind replies, yes, our relationship is VERY strong, visited her 4 times since april 06, had her daughter stay with us at christmas, etc. She is very mature and responsible, I hope reason for return would be acceptable. She works in her parents shop, based in Korat, I also own a house in Thailand, her visit is purely a holiday visit, meet my family and see the UK and way of life here. Can anyone give me information where i can obtain medical insurance for her whilst she is here in UK as I want to include this in my folder. Any other comments would be greatly appreciated.

Fireblade
19th Feb 2008, 05:28
Sorry, that should have read April 07

Flip
19th Feb 2008, 05:43
Fireblade, you know your relationship is strong but can you prove that to an ECO? It should not be such an issue for a visit visa but if your girlfriend eventually applies for a settlement visa then you will have to prove the relationship.

For a visit visa what is more important, is that your girlfriend convinces the ECO that she will return to Thailand on time.

For your assistance, as evidence of our relationship for the settlement visa application we supplied photos, phone records and boarding passes from domestic flights in Thailand. Photos can be an arguable point because they could all have been taken on the same day but things like boarding passes establish that you were both on the same flight - hopefully seated together. Phone records are also particularly useful as they clearly show how much contact you have had. The above items will also help with a visit visa but as I have said, reason to return is paramount.

I also copied the exit and entry stamps from my passport but once again these are not foolproof. They only establish that you were in Thailand - you need more to prove that you actually visited your girlfriend.

Fireblade
19th Feb 2008, 06:00
Thanks Flip for advice. Will not be applying for a settlement visa as I have just had house built in Thailand, plan is for me to live in Thailand in 3 years Time, this is purely a visitors visa so that we can share our time more frequently together, instead of only when I visit on holiday. We have plenty of photographs and I have phone bills, although, like everyone else, i use a third party phone number to telephone because it is much cheaper. We have photos together at Sonkran last april, my return in may, Oct and photographs of us together with her daughter at Xmas, I am returning May 9 and will go straight to Korat to finish signing visa forms, I will also ask that her parents also compose a letter along the lines that they are happy for their daughter to spend time with me in the uk and that she will return in october when may annual leave starts again which is what we both will do. I must stress at this point that I have never, ever had any requests to send money to Thailand to help support her in any way, i guess this is because her father works hard, along with her brother and my tgf and her mother run the shop between them. Her mum as also mentioned giving us both some land that they own in order to build a house in Korat, that is a different story for another day and something I will consider if I decide to sell my new home in Hua Yai. Decisions indeed . . . .

Flip
19th Feb 2008, 06:59
Hmmm, nice offer from the parents, I presume you are aware that they cannot give you both land?

As a foreigner, you are completely, 100%, barred from owning land in Thailand. That includes the land on which your house is currently being built. Despite what some may claim, there is no way around this. Forming a Thai Ltd company to simply own land is illegal. There is a clause in the Thai land law that quite clearly prevents any form of circumventing the land ownership issue - you simply cannot own it legally. Many claim to own their house in Thailand but if push comes to shove they can at the best be forced to sell it or at the worst forfeit it.

You can own the bricks and mortar but you cannot own the land.

Fireblade
19th Feb 2008, 08:18
yes, i agree with you flip, my current new home is indeed the company route, and yes, fully aware that could go pear shaped if thai government were insistent. However, to my knowledge, no-one has ever lost a house purchasing the company route method, so, im pretty much ok with my decision to do so. If i decide to build a home in korat it will be the lease route, which i would insist on for 30 years, in effect, protecting my own interests. I think i have worded that correctly

andy muay thai
19th Feb 2008, 10:08
my mate john is 59, and his wife ing is 22 and they got a settlement visa ok, ( she does love him !!!! )

Tony & Apple
19th Feb 2008, 14:17
anyone give me information where i can obtain medical insurance for her
we used bupa thailand (http://www.bupathailand.com)

Fireblade
20th Feb 2008, 02:05
thanks tony, i actually need medical insurance for her here in the UK if visa application is granted

packpao
20th Feb 2008, 03:49
, i actually need medical insurance for her here in the UK
Yes, that's what it is. BUPA Worldwide Travel Insurance (http://www.bupathailand.com/wwt_ins.asp).

:)

Packpao

Fireblade
20th Feb 2008, 05:45
thanks packpao, I have just played on internet to see whats on offer, tesco can offer this type of insurance and just spoke to them on phone. They informed me that I need to register tgf with British GP first before going ahead with insurance which could be as little as £15 pm. Has anyone included medical health insurance in their visa application pack and any recommendations? Thanks. Sorry to ask so many questions.

packpao
20th Feb 2008, 06:06
Firstly, your GF won't be entitled to register for NHS care in the UK during her visit (i.e. as a tourist)

Also, are you sure Tesco will insure a Foreign national for health cover in the UK?

Packpao

Fireblade
20th Feb 2008, 06:35
packpao, i rung them over an hour ago, the lady told me to get her registered with local GP here in the UK. I thought it strange when she told me. Think shes ting tong. All I am basically trying to do is make my tgf visa application pretty much water-tight and thought I would try and get some medical insurance for her in the UK and include certificate with our visa application. Not sure if it is an essential part of application but more of a precautionary measure. Would just like to get her covered in case of an emergency

galahad
20th Feb 2008, 12:07
I used world nomads.com for health insurance when my wife/then g/f was here on a 6 mths visa.
From what I can remember it cost about £200(for 6 mths cover).
They are part of the Allianz group so well established/reputable.

Kram
20th Feb 2008, 14:04
Before Kat came here last year on a Visitors Visa she bought Medical Insurance in Thailand. The insurance was provided by “BUPA Health Insurance (Thailand) Ltd". The cost was 3845 Bhat for 100 days. Coverage was: Medical Expenses 2,000,000. Personal Accident 1,000,000. Emergency Medical Assistance 30,000,000. The figures are Maximum Limit Per Disability Per Person in Bhat. The certificate was added to her Visa application.

Mark

Fireblade
21st Feb 2008, 03:31
kram, that seems extremely good value for money, I think i will contact my own travel insurance company first, i take out a yearly policy with them and see if they can put her name on policy, otherwise could get insurance in thailand for her and i will look into galahads company, nomads, again, sorry for waffling on, just want to get everything sorted. Thank you all for your valuable input

-Keith-
21st Feb 2008, 05:09
Fireblade,

You will NOT get a UK insurance co to cover a foriegn nationals holiday to the UK. Two people have suggested BUPA Thailand, you really should follow it up.

Keith

colin244
21st Feb 2008, 11:27
You will NOT get a UK insurance co to cover a foriegn nationals holiday to the UK.

I am an Insurance Broker and Keith is correct :nod:
colin 244

Fireblade
22nd Feb 2008, 03:00
thank you keith/colin, i will chase that up when i arrive in thailand on the 10th may

Petruccis_Son
12th Mar 2008, 09:41
Good question about age difference

My wife is 27 and I’m 23 - This bothers me because they might start asking more questions to themselves due to us being the extreme minority of people where the girl is older than the guy – and why. And of course my 'ability to support' when she's in the UK, even though my financial details all stack up accordingly with the requirements.

Anyone ever been or known anyone in this situation? How do the ECO's look upon young couples in comparison to the older? We are looking to apply for the settlement visa next month. Thanks

Tobias
12th Mar 2008, 14:47
Originally posted by Petruccis_Son:
... How do the ECO's look upon young couples in comparison to the older? Exactly the same :) Make sure you produce all the relevant evidence in support of your application and you should be okay.

BTW, Jenny is a little older than me - although she'll probably deny it if you ever meet her :lol:

Petruccis_Son
14th Mar 2008, 04:25
haha

ok sir thanks for the help

rolyshark
14th Mar 2008, 10:57
although she'll probably deny it if you ever meet her
She denies knowing you at all some of the time! :)

Flip
16th Mar 2008, 09:46
Can you blame her? :D

Seriously............Tobias, check your Pm's

Tobias
16th Mar 2008, 09:53
I've already replied!

Kate&Martin
16th Mar 2008, 10:47
I was 24 and Kate was 26 when we applied for the settlement Visa. We just backed up all the questions/sections in the Visa application form. We had been together about 18 months and had travelled SE Asia together. I also managed to get her a job offer in principle for her arrival in the UK.

I do not think age really came into it for us although we are close in age but younger then avearge applicant like yourself. For us we could back up everything and we went on the side of caution with alot of information and evidence. Unfortnutely we did not know of this site at that time so did it all alone with no advice.

The main thing that we thought woud be important was the presentation of all the information we were providing. Also the presentation of Kate. She wore a suit to the interview and insisted on speaking in English throughout the interview. As with most interviews what ever they may be for, first impressions do count.

As long as you have all the evidence and leave nothing to chance you will be ok. Try not to lie either they can be hard to remember under pressure. We had some little white lies about where we would live and also Kates Job, but if you have proof for these lies and they can not be caught out how will they know. I was living with my parents at the time but got a lease drawn up with my brother who was renting a place to include me, every month the money would leave my account seemingly paying rent but it was actually returned to me in cash which I used for the wedding.

The job offer Kate also got was a admin job with a friend of mine who owns his own company employing a few staff, I phoned her from his company phone and they exchanged a few emails and that was it she was offered a job via company letter head paper, not that there was ever a job to be offered.

Obviously the best thing is not to lie but be clever if you do.

Good Luck

colin244
16th Mar 2008, 11:23
Im 52 and she is 22.

In our case at f/v application 46 me and 28 Dao and we got the visa but plenty of contact emails/tel calls/photo's to back us up which I think is more important ie commitment!

Good luck