PDA

View Full Version : Husband Made Redundant

pook&cameron
20th Dec 2008, 18:24
My husband has just been made redundant and we have a 12 week old son. My husband has been to job center + and has made a claim for just him and our son. I am currently on settlement visa and I know I cannot claim but I'm just wondering if my husband can claim for him and his son.

Thanks
Pook & Cameron

Marcus
21st Dec 2008, 01:02
Yes, your husband can claim and claim for your son too.

I'm not sure if you can claim or not, or if your husband can claim on your behalf, hopefully someone else here will know the answer.

Good luck.

Harvey at home
21st Dec 2008, 01:32
Originally posted by Marcus:
Yes, your husband can claim and claim for your son too.

I'm not sure if you can claim or not, or if your husband can claim on your behalf, hopefully someone else here will know the answer.

Good luck.

Welcome to the forum and I am 99.99% certain that your husband can claim for all of you that are dependant on him in your family.
Friends in Manchester are in similar postion to you,ie; Thail lady wife on settlement visa and husband worked at Woolies.

Hope this helps

Regards Harvey

GTG
21st Dec 2008, 05:00
I don't think there is any additional amount paid for children now through Jobseeker's Allowance. He will get the standard rate of £60.50 per week, though this is likely to be affected by any money he has received or is receiving as part of his redundancy settlement.

However, he will also be entitled to claim Child Tax Credit (which replaced the child element of JSA) so should contact their helpline on 0845 300 3900 (7 days, 8.00-20.00). Problem with Tax Credits is that they are based on income in the previous tax year, not now.

If you are renting your home you can also claim Housing allowance.

GTG
21st Dec 2008, 05:12
Originally posted by GTG:
I don't think there is any additional amount paid for children now through Jobseeker's Allowance. He will get the standard rate of £60.50 per week, though this is likely to be affected by any money he has received or is receiving as part of his redundancy settlement.

Hmmm, actually I'm confused now, can you claim the higher couple's rate because it is him who is claiming, not you?

Anyone?

John
21st Dec 2008, 09:42
Pook posted :-

I am currently on settlement visa and I know I cannot claim but I'm just wondering if my husband can claim for him and his son.

Just to make quite sure, you have a time-limited spouse visa? Or do you already have ILR?

Also, your husband, what exactly is he claiming? There are two types of JSA. Which one is he claiming? Contribution-based JSA or income-based JSA? It makes a difference, if you are still on a time-limited visa with the "No recourse to Public Funds" restriction.

The good news is that contribution-based JSA is not within the definition of Public Funds, as in para 6 of the Immigration Rules. So if that is what he is claiming then there is no problem him claiming an addition for you.

However if he is claiming income-based JSA then that is within the definition of Public Funds, in which case para 6A says that he cannot get more JSA on account of you living there.

domino
21st Dec 2008, 11:47
Were you working before having the baby and recieving maternity allowance?

I think if one person is still in work and earns more than the couples allowance that person is expected to support the other, not 100% sure on this can someone clarify? Though tax credits can top up the income.

jbds
21st Dec 2008, 13:27
Contribution based JSA is not means tested. Redundancy payment will not affect a claim.
You can receive contribution based JSA for six months.
Income based JSA is means tested. Any savings will be taken into account.
I was made redundant last year, applied for contribution based JSA. I was told by my ex-firms advisers that redundancy payments were not taken into account for contribution based JSA, the jobcentre employee who processed my claim never asked me about any redundancy payment or savings.

Explanation (http://www.needanadviser.com/html/article.php/zcid/450/type/article)

Regards,
John.S

pook&cameron
6th Jan 2009, 12:06
Hi All,
Thank you very much for everyone's help.

Also, Happy new year for everyone.