PDA

View Full Version : christmas lunch

Linne
28th Nov 2007, 12:05
I,m inviting a lonely thai lady round on the 25th.
Will they eat tradtional turkey and chestnuts
Turkey translated, is it Collis ? or something else

Linne
28th Nov 2007, 12:05
I,m inviting a lonely thai lady round on the 25th.
Will they eat tradtional turkey and chestnuts
Turkey translated, is it Collis ? or something else

John
28th Nov 2007, 13:05
Let's just say, in this house, Nat does not eat Turkey! Why? As she puts it ... "In Thailand the only Turkeys are in a zoo, and I don't eat zoo birds!".

Suggest you check this out carefully!

But is this just Nat? Or anyone else from Thailand declining to eat Turkey?

Simon Parry
28th Nov 2007, 13:06
Not sure whether she will eat it. But you can ask. She'll probably want chillies on the side ! Roast dinner of any description is my wife's favourite English dish. Turkey is gai gnuang in Thai (gai rhymes with 'tie', and the 'gn' bit at the start of gnuang sounds like the 'ng' at the end of an English word like 'talking' - sorry this is the best way I can describe it so hope it makes sense. Good luck.

stylethai
28th Nov 2007, 13:21
My wife and all her mates love turkey but as with most things, make sure you give her the leg or something with a bone in!!!...

Scally
28th Nov 2007, 14:00
My girlfriend is quite happy to eat Turkey...and loves the traditional roast.

Mark W
28th Nov 2007, 14:01
I'll be eating turkey (gai yai as some Thais call it :) ) with all the trimmings for Christmas lunch. It's just that it will be 30 odd degrees outside. :banana:

dan&ploy
29th Nov 2007, 02:25
or something with a bone in!!!

For heaven's sake, he hardly seems to know the girl. :eek:

I have found quite a few Thais that don't know 'gai nuang' at all as they have never come across it. That could be my pronunciation though, Guava will correct me but the difficulty of saying nuang is the ng at the beginning is a rising tone as opposed to how we usually say it at the end of word when it is even or falling. We call it 'gai nagliat', (ไก่ น่าเกลียด) to avoid the problem.

I would suggest to make it more 'palatable' to Thais, to accompany the turkey I would do stir fried vegetables (brussel spouts?), where you can add oyster sauce and/or chilli. I would also avoid the shop bought cranberry sauces as they are usually too sweet and make your own where it can be made with a little kick and sourness to it as well.

Have fun.

caller
29th Nov 2007, 02:30
My wife loves a roast and all the trimmings. Although she has questioned whether we should have Turkey this year as she found last years too dry! I guess I need to improve my cooking skills. :shrug:

guava
29th Nov 2007, 06:44
We call it 'gai nagliat', (ไก่น่าเกลียด) to avoid the problem. yep "ugly chicken" :lol:

I also agree with Mark and find that many Thai people call it "gai yai" (ไก่ใหญ่)or "big chicken"

But the correct name is as Simon's post "gai nguang" (ไก่งวง). As Dan says the "ng" sound when at the start of a word is notoriously difficult for farang to pronounce, but said correctly a Thai speaker would recognize this word.

duster
29th Nov 2007, 06:49
I wouldmake her feel at home and give her a nice piece of
pork especially with crackling. That way she is guaranteed to enjoy the meal and you can have the turkey on boxing day if you must. A friend who is a chef always says toturn the turkey upside down for half the cooking so that the breast is in the juices if you want to avoid a dry bird. despite the myth that thais eat everything its not true they are like the rest of us, most of us tend to eat what we know and arent really that adventurous. Some thais are different but play it safe and stick to pork and you cant go wrong

ian allcock
29th Nov 2007, 08:23
I wouldmake her feel at home and give her a nice piece of
pork :D

Don't forget to ask her if she wants stuffing :lol:

Ian

michael001
29th Nov 2007, 08:46
kanchana loves to eat and cook roast dinner, and is cooking one at this moment (beef) we will cook the xmas dinner together (i will over see) as for the dryness we cook ours overnight with a seperate dish of water in the base of the oven seems to work for us
we only buy the turkey breast from M&S

SteveR
29th Nov 2007, 08:50
I've yet to meet a Thai that doesn't eat any kind of bird. Turkeys, chickens, ducks, quails, sparrows, pigeons etc - anything is fair game.

Skippy
29th Nov 2007, 09:05
Last year we blitzed the Turkey by mixing the traditions -,

basically the outside area we did with traditional butter /fat under the skin and in the inside we stuffed with thai herbs

- Skippy

Noi & Nick
29th Nov 2007, 10:10
As with anything, it's down to personal taste.

We've had a roast turkey dinner with the usual trimmings followed by Christmas pudding with brandy butter and custard each Christmas since Noi arrived. Her only complaint is how long it takes me to cook it!

BTW, put some water in the bottom of the roasting tray and place the turkey on a rack above. Cover with foil and ensure a good seal. The steam from the water helps to keep the breast meat nice and moist and the juices from the bird mix with the water to make a good stock to use for your gravy.

Avoid over cooking, as this will definitely mean all the meat will be dry.

e.t.v
29th Nov 2007, 14:19
well my missus is not to impressed with our christmas turkey tradition,so this year we are going to a near by pub for christmas dinner.As most of you know the ladies love a drink so xmas dinner in a pub that is offering a variety of dishes should lead to me having a very MERRY christmas :D :banana: :sleep:

Thaddeus
29th Nov 2007, 14:51
Originally posted by e.t.v:
As most of you know the ladies love a drink

Really.... most of the female population around here are tea-total..... must be the pressures of long distance commuting that does it.

One of our ex-pats is a turkey farmer..... yay...... on the eve we have a turkey run in one of his fields complete with baseball bats, the flavour is always improved if you have killed it yourself.

rolyshark
29th Nov 2007, 15:40
Another vision that I'm uncomfortable with has reared it's ugly head-Thad chasing a gobbling bird with a hard stick... :help:

axel1974
29th Nov 2007, 17:07
Have you seen the great new UK national lottery advert with the turkey in it.... Its punchline is make all your christmas wishes come true and has a turkey just about to be gobbled..... the look of fear in its eyes...... then......

he is on a beach on a sun lounger in the caribbean. lucky bird

the moral of the story.......gamble the kids christmas present money away and save a turkey this christmas

dan&ploy
30th Nov 2007, 04:09
Thad chasing a gobbling bird with a hard stick..

Made slightly more palatable by the fact Thad and the bird are the same size. :angel:

Thaddeus
30th Nov 2007, 15:38
Originally posted by dan&ploy:

Thad chasing a gobbling bird with a hard stick..

Made slightly more palatable by the fact Thad and the bird are the same size. :angel:

errrrr ...... yep ;)

e.t.v
2nd Dec 2007, 03:11
Originally posted by Thaddeus:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by e.t.v:
One of our ex-pats is a turkey farmer..... yay...... on the eve we have a turkey run in one of his fields complete with baseball bats, the flavour is always improved if you have killed it yourself.

hmmm now the picture that comes to mind after reading what others have said is not a pretty one :lol: