PDA

View Full Version : What documents should we bring to UK?

Jacks
15th Jan 2008, 08:01
Can anyone suggest useful documents my Thai husband should bring for living and working in the UK?

We're getting our marriage certificate translated and I'm wondering what else he may need. Driving licence, ID card etc???

Thanks

Jacks
15th Jan 2008, 08:01
Can anyone suggest useful documents my Thai husband should bring for living and working in the UK?

We're getting our marriage certificate translated and I'm wondering what else he may need. Driving licence, ID card etc???

Thanks

Lucky
15th Jan 2008, 12:36
If this is his first entry to the UK then he can drive for the first 12 months on a Thai driving licence so bring that.
ID card, yes, no point leaving it in Thailand. Any other qualifications get them translated.

Jacks
17th Jan 2008, 19:18
If this is his first entry to the UK then he can drive for the first 12 months on a Thai driving licence so bring that

Does this mean that, as he's already been to the UK once on a visitor's visa, he can't use his Thai driving Licence?

Tobias
17th Jan 2008, 20:07
Originally posted by Jacks:
... Does this mean that, as he's already been to the UK once on a visitor's visa, he can't use his Thai driving Licence? No. His last visit to the UK was on a visitor visa, this time he will be arriving for a settled purpose so he will be allowed to drive on his Thai licence for 12 months from the date of his arrival in the UK. This is a 'one time' offer. To continue driving after the first 12 months he will have to pass a UK driving test and obtain a UK licence.

ash
18th Jan 2008, 00:23
Translation of Thai birth certificate plus original
Translation and copy of house book (Tabien Baan)

If your not planning regular visits then maybe not bringing the ID card might be better as you can issue a power of attorney letter via the embassy to allow the family to renew the card as needed , although for Thai passport renewals it might be needed in the UK. :help:

ash

John
18th Jan 2008, 02:40
Jacks, as well as the things already mentioned, if he has any certificates .... degree certificate ....anything work-related .... do get those translated as necessary.

And in the UK, whenever you supply a certificate ... marriage or whatever ..... always supply both the Thai original and the translation into English.