guava
14th Sep 2006, 08:13
Sainsburys has the old offer back again - 2 large bottles Singha for £3 :cool:

Natty
14th Sep 2006, 08:45
Ecccelllentt (hic)

lester
14th Sep 2006, 13:27
Cheap at half the price, put me down for case!

mick.j
14th Sep 2006, 13:42
Tescos are currently doing it at that price as well, only regret is that it isn't Chang. :shrug:

Mick.J

Lucky
14th Sep 2006, 14:03
Hey! Come on you guys, apart from nostalgia, you can't prefer Thai lager to good European lager surely :confused:

lester
14th Sep 2006, 14:09
Chang gives me a terrible headache

colin244
14th Sep 2006, 15:46
UK = Stella/Carlsberg
LOS = Singha/Chang

Basically whatever is available wherever you happen to be but I know what I prefer and having one now while posting (clue comes from belgium!) but in LOS Singha for me :thumb:
colin 244

e.t.v
14th Sep 2006, 16:02
i had to smile at the good lady ,while walking around Wing Yip , i went to put a box of Singha in the trolley .
only to hear "why do you want buy Singha at £25 a box
when we can go to Asda or Tesco or Aldi and have a box of stella for £10?"
hmm good question my dear so we put it back on the shelve went to asda and had two boxs of stella.
what a wonderfull woman for a wife i have :D :banana: :D

colin244
14th Sep 2006, 16:46
e.t.v.
What wise words your good lady speaks! Hope Dao is the same on arrival this weekend as she called 21.00 uk ie much late LOS saying what happens on TG916 for eat?

I told her 2 meals etc and no pay "I think I like TG916" was the reply but no doubt she will wise up very quickly to farang life! :help:
Regards
colin 244

Lucky
14th Sep 2006, 17:19
e.t.v.
Glad to see our mia's on same wave length

guava
14th Sep 2006, 17:20
"why do you want buy Singha at £25 a box
when we can go to Asda or Tesco or Aldi and have a box of stella for £10?"
ahhhhhhhhhhh I agree and that is exactly what I do, but at £1.50 per bottle for Singha I can add a couple of bottles as well as the stella. Drink first with lots and lots of ice whilst I am still sober then drink Stella from bottle when I no longer care :D (yes, I do drink my singha with ice!)

Lucky
14th Sep 2006, 17:25
Can't help but feel that "when in Rome" is a very profound statement.

And I'm drinking Cider at the momentttttttttttttttttt

colin244
14th Sep 2006, 17:28
guava,
Is there a reason for ice in beer if you have a fridge to cool them?
colin 24

colin244
14th Sep 2006, 17:33
Lucky, Wise words again but is it local or Scrumpy? or worse Diamond White? :crazy:
Regards
colin 244

Lucky
14th Sep 2006, 17:42
Look at my location Colin for a clue. BTW not Scrumpy at this time of night but good stuff!

Anyway when you off to H'row?

Love to have a chat when you are home reunited with better half ;)

guava
14th Sep 2006, 17:48
Colin

Yes! Part of the reason only applies in Thailand, but I now have the habit.

Thai beer just kinda tastes better with some of the fizz taken out, so most Thai people prefer it to be poured into a glass (similar to many european countries). The beer in a glass doesnt tend to stay cold like beer drank from bottle that is kept in condom (although the unpoured portion can be kept cold that way)

Also with Singha beer (and real Chang - not the stuff available here) being 6% alcohol, the ice waters it down somewhat so allowing more to be consumed. This doesnt work with most european beers as they are not quite so strong tasting (exceptions I have found that seem to work with ice being San Miguel and Holsten Export)

Having said all that, I am drinking Holsten Export from the bottle at present :D

pcheywood
14th Sep 2006, 17:49
Where do you get Wang Thong cider in the UK?? In fact, wnere do you get it in Wang Thong? I love cider :lol:

Paul.

Lucky
14th Sep 2006, 17:53
Pedantic b*****d, in my house when I am there, otherwise no chance it is under lock and key. (can't trust the the natives with dynamite) :D

colin244
14th Sep 2006, 17:58
Lucky,
TG916 lands LHR 18.30hr and allowing for the first time visa and baggage etc I expect (probably wrong) to actually see Dao around 20.00hr but will leave house at 16.00 as I have spent the last 2 days stuck on M25 (J26/27)and like to plan ahead!
Regards
colin 244

pcheywood
14th Sep 2006, 18:05
Originally posted by Lucky:
Pedantic b*****d, in my house when I am there, otherwise no chance it is under lock and key. (can't trust the the natives with dynamite) :D

First time I've ever been called pedantic (it's like a medal of honour), not the first time I've been called a b*****d, in fact, not even the 1000th time (but you don't know my career :D ). Still love cider though.

Paul.

colin244
14th Sep 2006, 18:10
guava,
Agreed habits are hard to break but all mine may well go out the window this week end on Dao's arrival!

I only get ice in beer in the Thai village despite the house having a fridge but years ago when using a pub with a dodgy cool tray (old style) when all 6 bottles had gone (max for shelf) they served up the Holsten Pils (real not copy) and Lowenbrau with ice!
Regards
colin 244

BigRed
15th Sep 2006, 05:29
Hey! Come on you guys, apart from nostalgia, you can't prefer Thai lager to good European lager surely

I do, and at £1.50 for a large bottle at 6% it's a bargain. I normally drink cider these days. regarding ice, the latest hot drink in pubs is a bottle of Magners cider with a glass full of ice. A large (750cl) bottle is anything from £2.50 - £3.70 around our way, or £1.50 from the offie.

BigRed

Lucky
15th Sep 2006, 05:43
Out of interest:-
Regarding the current craze for Magners cider. Magners is made by Bulmers in Ireland, a different company to the H P Bulmer in the UK who make Strongbow etc. The two comapanies were one and same originally but split many years ago. The recipe for Magners is near enough the same as H P Bulmers Original which they launched in the seventies but it never really caught on. Strange how fashions change, they have have now relaunched Original in a similar looking bottle to the Magners one and it now retails at a premium price whereas it used to be a standard cider price.

Prenders
17th Sep 2006, 05:01
Beer Lao is 'fad' beer in Thailand at the moment.
I don't know anyone who drinks Singha.

GTG
17th Sep 2006, 05:20
Prenders

Is the Beer Lao generally available throughout Thailand or is that just one of the benefits of living up in Udon, friendly barowners bringing a few cases back from the cash & carry at the border? I thought it wasn't allowed to be sold outside Laos. Definitely a superior product to any of the Thai-produced alternatives.

Jersey
18th Sep 2006, 23:24
Beer Lao just purchased two cases in france 8 euro per bottle nice drink similar as chang same company Carlsberg.

beer lao has an london based importer now!!

MILESTONE POINT
145-157 St John Street 2nd Floor LPL, London EC1V4PY
Tel : 00 44 (0) 207 754 5937
Fax : 0845 22 64592
Email : jamesmorgan@milestonepoint.com

sean

oldoldgit
19th Sep 2006, 00:25
I prefer Chang to Singa when in LOS but Lao seems very expensive at 8euro a bottle thats £5.40 or 379baht Chugwel, must be the same size bottles they squirt over each other at formula one race meetings yes/no? :confused:

BigRed
19th Sep 2006, 00:35
In case you don't notice, the website lets you order online, £25.26 for 12 x 640ml delivered to your door.

BigRed

Lucky
19th Sep 2006, 04:06
Beer Lao is now available in Bangkok and Pattaya, not seen it anywhere else yet although I did hear there were plans to make it widely available.

Jersey
20th Sep 2006, 01:02
Sorry OldOldgit

the french packs are 8 bottles for 8 euro including vat
in asian supermarket

sean

oldoldgit
20th Sep 2006, 05:55
Chugwell, thats better 67p or 47 baht a bottle, I hope to do a booze run to France IF! no Schengen visa needed after Fri 13th October. just a thought can't you get it in CI duty free, where in France do you go to buy it?

Jersey
23rd Sep 2006, 00:38
other weekend we purchased from 'belasia'in rennes,

tang freres in paris are the importers along with singha, chang,beer saigon,sometimes leo.

duty free we have this only on the boat from france to jersey the range is limited to couple types of beer,
the booze runs from england are to duty paid warehouse
bulk sellers up the coast ie close to england.

we have just ordered pallet of B-L 60x24 £510.00 trade
price ex duty and freight, duty will be paid in jersey
the trade price is less the half tirrells(singha)uk charge.

sean