PDA

View Full Version : A way out

Merc Fintail
28th Mar 2007, 13:10
Just been watching Watchdog and they had somebody email them to say that if you get caught out by buying flight tickets with the wrong name on. Instead of buying a new ticket costing £400 or more, you can simply change your name by Depoll and then change it back when you get home! Only £25. Not sure if its true but if it is, then its gonig to save you alot of money if you purchase airline tickets with the wrong surname by mistake.
Be interesting to see if this is true.

Paul

Merc Fintail
28th Mar 2007, 13:10
Just been watching Watchdog and they had somebody email them to say that if you get caught out by buying flight tickets with the wrong name on. Instead of buying a new ticket costing £400 or more, you can simply change your name by Depoll and then change it back when you get home! Only £25. Not sure if its true but if it is, then its gonig to save you alot of money if you purchase airline tickets with the wrong surname by mistake.
Be interesting to see if this is true.

Paul

Conrad
28th Mar 2007, 13:26
Didn't watch the programme but surely if you change your name by deed poll you would have to apply to get your name changed in your passport. When you return from your flight and change your name back again you would have top apply for a passport name change again.
I've had my name for 44 years and can't imagine ever getting it wrong when buying flight tickets :confused:

peterinkendal
28th Mar 2007, 14:03
Originally posted by Conrad:....

.....I've had my name for 44 years and can't imagine ever getting it wrong when buying flight tickets :confused:

No but could be helpful if your mate can't go and you have someone else who would like to go

Gary & Nok
29th Mar 2007, 00:18
Originally posted by Paul & Sukanya:
.... if you get caught out by buying flight tickets with the wrong name on.....
Paul

Surely when you get your tickets you are asked to check them and notify immediately if there are any problems. Why not just do this as tickets are re-issued (at no cost) if the fault is not yours. Done once (not my fault), no problem.
Gary

ash
29th Mar 2007, 02:19
Surely when you get your tickets you are asked to check them and notify immediately if there are any problems. Why not just do this as tickets are re-issued (at no cost) if the fault is not yours. Done once (not my fault), no problem.
Gary

They were referring to tickets booked on the web where the customer made the error.

ash

Noi & Nick
29th Mar 2007, 04:10
As Conrad says, what they are looking for is to see if the name on the passport matches the name on the ticket.

But if you presented ticket, passport and deed poll?

Simplest, and best, way though is to double check all the details before clicking on the 'confirm' button!

Gary & Nok
29th Mar 2007, 05:12
Originally posted by ash:
[They were referring to tickets booked on the web where the customer made the error.

ash

Sorry, did not see the program :o

Merc Fintail
29th Mar 2007, 11:38
It can happen where people book tickets for thier Thai spouse and a mistake can be made with the surname or a spelling mistake that does not get picked up untill a later date, at which point its too late to change the ticket without substantail cost.
Thats where i thought this whould be usefull (if possible) People make mistakes and sods law says its gona cost you big time. I recently made the mistake of not making sure that a £1.99 alarm button was working properly on my van. Cost to me? £3700 worth of tools gone from my van. Not relivent, i know but i want to share my pain.

Paul

Nana
8th Apr 2007, 14:04
Hi Paul&Sukanya,

I think your post will be useful to my husband's friend now. I will tell him about this. What happen was he booked flight with Thompson agent local office and without realising at that time til now that they spell his name wrong way round; instead of Michael, they put Micheal so don't know what to do yet :rolleyes:

He contacted the agent they just said nothing they can do cos it's non-refundable ticket, he has to buy new ticket (£400+)otherwise he may not be able to fly.

Nana

Tobias
9th Apr 2007, 03:33
Originally posted by Nana:
... instead of Michael, they put Micheal so don't know what to do yet :rolleyes:

He contacted the agent they just said nothing they can do cos it's non-refundable ticket, he has to buy new ticket (£400+)otherwise he may not be able to fly. Nana, what Thomson/the agent have said is complete nonsense - he does not need a new ticket. In reality the spelling mistake will probably not even be noticed at check-in. If this chap is refused travel he should ask for a written explanation of why he is being refused the flight he has paid for.

I would be amazed if any court in the UK would find against this man should he be forced to sue Thomson for failing to carry him. He would be entitled to compensation and damages if he is refused travel because of a simple and obvious typographical error.

Was this booked on-line or at a high street travel agency?