PDA

View Full Version : 2 weeks in to living in England

Doggsy
19th Jun 2007, 07:14
Ok I wasn't sure what category to put this in as it covers visas, working, doctors and NiNo's. So i plumped for general.

As some as you may have seen before I have posted about the jobsworth that Mink (then my GF) encountered when we returned from Thailand last October with her on a VV with him not believing anything either of us said and making us wait for ages before letting her into the country.

This time when she arrived on the 2nd of june i could not be with her, but my sister was on the same flight and was going to step in should there be any trouble. This time we came armed however and she hand all her visa evidence folder in her hand luggage. She joined the short queue at immigration and got the same moronic jobsworth boy again. This time she walked up to the desk, gave her passport and then put the massive evidence folder for the visa on his desk. He asked what it was, she told him, he looked at the folder, didn't open it, said it was fine and stamped her in. She was through quicker than my sister! (last time he was adament that he shouldn't let her in without seeing the evidence submitted in Bangkok). Hurdle 1 out of the way.

I had a couple of days off so we decided to take a walk to the doctors and join her up. I told them what we wanted to do and we booked an appointment to see the nurse the next day for the welcome health check. Paperwork given in, appointment attended now a member of the same doctor's as me. Only problem was they didn't take the TB certificate from me and haven't got back to me as to whether they want it or not. NOw i don't know what to do with it. Certainly no problem joining up or anything though. Hurdle 2 mastered.

Next came the biggy, a NiNo. Went to the local job centre, they told me to call a number, called the number, they asked if she was looking for work, I said yes, they asked if we had any proof, i said no. They told me to call back when she had proof of looking for work. I said that I was going to apply for working tax credit anyway and i know that she needs it for that so they may as well just interview her. They told me to call the benefits line then to make an appointment. However eventually she agreed to book an interview 2 weeks in advance so that we had time to get a rejection or approval letter. I sweet talked my boss into giving me a rejection one until such time as she can offer mink a job and we went to the interview yesterday.

A few questions, copies of rejection letter, passport and our marriage certificate and the lady said that we had covered everything needed and should have no problem getting one but that she couldn't say 100% as they are dished out from head office. hurdle 3 half passed.

Been to my bank and was told that she could only have a passport account and that would cost £60 or £6 a month for a year. I told them i didn't want to pay for an accoutn and do they have anything else to offer. After asking her manager was told she can have a basic bank account if she provides a copy of her passport and a letter from her employer. Went to Lloyds Tsb and they said she could have a basic bank account if she supplied a copy of her passport and something like a bill or if her name was on the rental agreement for our flat. Just need to get her one or the other and then hurdle 4 out of the way.

At the moment I haven't come across any real difficulties in any of the things i have tried to do. I was ready for problems and little ones have popped their heads up but nothing too serious. My biggest 2 at the moment are getting past company procedures that take ages to get her a job and trying to tell my stupid lazy landlord that when i signed up he said that minks name could be added to the rental agreement for free as she wouldnt need reference checking but now he is asking for £65.

All in all we have had a quite successful 2 weeks so although some people do encounter problems when trying to get their wife set up in england don't be too dispirited as not everybody does.

Doggsy
19th Jun 2007, 07:14
Ok I wasn't sure what category to put this in as it covers visas, working, doctors and NiNo's. So i plumped for general.

As some as you may have seen before I have posted about the jobsworth that Mink (then my GF) encountered when we returned from Thailand last October with her on a VV with him not believing anything either of us said and making us wait for ages before letting her into the country.

This time when she arrived on the 2nd of june i could not be with her, but my sister was on the same flight and was going to step in should there be any trouble. This time we came armed however and she hand all her visa evidence folder in her hand luggage. She joined the short queue at immigration and got the same moronic jobsworth boy again. This time she walked up to the desk, gave her passport and then put the massive evidence folder for the visa on his desk. He asked what it was, she told him, he looked at the folder, didn't open it, said it was fine and stamped her in. She was through quicker than my sister! (last time he was adament that he shouldn't let her in without seeing the evidence submitted in Bangkok). Hurdle 1 out of the way.

I had a couple of days off so we decided to take a walk to the doctors and join her up. I told them what we wanted to do and we booked an appointment to see the nurse the next day for the welcome health check. Paperwork given in, appointment attended now a member of the same doctor's as me. Only problem was they didn't take the TB certificate from me and haven't got back to me as to whether they want it or not. NOw i don't know what to do with it. Certainly no problem joining up or anything though. Hurdle 2 mastered.

Next came the biggy, a NiNo. Went to the local job centre, they told me to call a number, called the number, they asked if she was looking for work, I said yes, they asked if we had any proof, i said no. They told me to call back when she had proof of looking for work. I said that I was going to apply for working tax credit anyway and i know that she needs it for that so they may as well just interview her. They told me to call the benefits line then to make an appointment. However eventually she agreed to book an interview 2 weeks in advance so that we had time to get a rejection or approval letter. I sweet talked my boss into giving me a rejection one until such time as she can offer mink a job and we went to the interview yesterday.

A few questions, copies of rejection letter, passport and our marriage certificate and the lady said that we had covered everything needed and should have no problem getting one but that she couldn't say 100% as they are dished out from head office. hurdle 3 half passed.

Been to my bank and was told that she could only have a passport account and that would cost £60 or £6 a month for a year. I told them i didn't want to pay for an accoutn and do they have anything else to offer. After asking her manager was told she can have a basic bank account if she provides a copy of her passport and a letter from her employer. Went to Lloyds Tsb and they said she could have a basic bank account if she supplied a copy of her passport and something like a bill or if her name was on the rental agreement for our flat. Just need to get her one or the other and then hurdle 4 out of the way.

At the moment I haven't come across any real difficulties in any of the things i have tried to do. I was ready for problems and little ones have popped their heads up but nothing too serious. My biggest 2 at the moment are getting past company procedures that take ages to get her a job and trying to tell my stupid lazy landlord that when i signed up he said that minks name could be added to the rental agreement for free as she wouldnt need reference checking but now he is asking for £65.

All in all we have had a quite successful 2 weeks so although some people do encounter problems when trying to get their wife set up in england don't be too dispirited as not everybody does.

Doggsy
19th Jun 2007, 07:16
by the way i was touching wood when i posted so that nothing starts to go wrong.

The only thing that was disappointing was that we went to the tiger bar in derby to see thai people but were informed that most of them are on holiday at the moment and the thai lady wasn't at the stall in derby so she has been limited so far in her interaction with other Thai's. Still when you have a husband as fantastic as me it takes a while for the shine to wear off!

Skippy
19th Jun 2007, 07:45
Put her on the council tax - then you have a bill at your address with her name on it - and then the landlord can wait until you renew. Also by then her bank account etc will available for a credit check etc.

- Good luck and keep up the good work :thumb:

- Skippy

Casey Jones
19th Jun 2007, 07:46
stupid lazy landlord that when i signed up he said that minks name could be added to the rental agreement for free as she wouldnt need reference checking but now he is asking for £65.

Find 100 quids worth of repairs he needs to do to your property. That should solve that problem!

Marcus
20th Jun 2007, 03:21
Nice post, thanks Doggsy.

Doggsy
5th Jul 2007, 06:52
just a quick update.

The national insurance number arrived last saturday and mink had an interview, and got, a part time job at tesco last night.

That's most things sorted now. Just need to get studying for this citizenship test!

KhunIanB-UK
5th Jul 2007, 09:08
Are you going to take it in place of the wife then ;)

Mink did well getting a job so quick, congratulations!

I bet you're glad things are starting to settle in place now, good luck with it all :)

Doggsy
5th Jul 2007, 10:28
haha ian i daren't. i have had a look at the book and hardly know anything so think it is best to leave it upto mink to take it. i don't want to make a fool of myself.

But it is good that evrything seems to have slipped nicely into place with all the potential obstacles that were there.

michael001
5th Jul 2007, 11:34
great news that means 15% off a bottle of singa @2.09 a bottle (todays price in Hayes) a nice little earner :thumb:

rolyshark
5th Jul 2007, 15:26
great news that means 15% off a bottle of singa @2.09 a bottle (todays price in Hayes) a nice little earner
Indeed.
Especially as Tescos in Alfreton were selling it at £1.67 a bottle.

I'm assuming it's the Heanor branch she's working at Doggsy? I don't go often now as it's not en route any more.

Doggsy
6th Jul 2007, 12:08
rolyshark - yeah it is the heanor beanch. The heanor tesco has been selling Singha for 40p off lately as well. I have purchased a few. I may have seen you in there before rolyshark.

Did you ever go in with your wife? if not then i kept seeing a falang guy and thai lady and then when i decided that next time i saw them i would talk to them i haven't seen them since!

rolyshark
6th Jul 2007, 16:05
Alas,it's not me.
Whilst I was in Alfreton Tescos last Sunday (clearing their shelves of Singha),it's been about 7 months since I was in Heanor and that was only to fill up with petrol.

KhunIanB-UK
6th Jul 2007, 17:52
Steve,

I have seen you drink lots of things, but never petrol before, must have been a desperate week, at least you don't smoke!

rolyshark
7th Jul 2007, 04:01
I have seen you drink lots of things, but never petrol before, must have been a desperate week, at least you don't smoke!
I only drink the unleaded if it's nicely chilled. It's a step up from drinking Thunderbirds on Heanor Market Place and shouting at passers-by. :thumb:

Loz
20th Jul 2007, 18:40
Still when you have a husband as fantastic as me it takes a while for the shine to wear off!

:clap: How very modest of you, er, Doggsy. Has your Lady Wife read this load of piffle?

Marcus
21st Jul 2007, 04:19
:shrug:

Bryn&Mot
21st Jul 2007, 04:52
It continues to amaze me how new members can manage to use the quote button on their very first post, well done for finding it. ;)

db1
21st Jul 2007, 05:09
Loz, Bit Rude for a first post.

How very modest of you, er, Doggsy. Has your Lady Wife read this load of piffle?

Loz
21st Jul 2007, 08:02
Loz, Bit Rude for a first post.

To David & Aree, Not as rude as I could have been, I know what Mink has to put up with........

He's my kid. ;)

It's MY fault he went to LOS in the first place, but Mink still talks to me. :nod:

Cheers for the compliment Bryn, I'M very amazed I got it right too. :crazy:
BTW, if you guys were at Stamford on the 15th, I was the little tubby bald headed bloke with the beard that was walking about with him & Mink some of the time.

db1
21st Jul 2007, 09:56
:eek: :D

Marcus
22nd Jul 2007, 03:43
Originally posted by Loz:
How very modest of you, er, Doggsy. Has your Lady Wife read this load of piffle?
I know what Mink has to put up with........ He's my kid. You have a lovely way of talking to, and about, your son.

I'm glad my parents don't come on this board, publically call my posts piffle, and suggest that my partner had a lot to put up with.

I suppose you'll call it a joke. But that's based on the assumption we can see your family dynamics - we can't. Just as we had no idea who you were in your first post here.

To me, it all looks a bit sad.

Loz
22nd Jul 2007, 09:44
Marcus,
I can see your point of view about my first posting, perhaps I should have put a smiley or two at the end of it to show it was meant as a joke. Or stated who I was. But that would have taken the surprise (from me to my son) element away, as he did not know I had found out about his pseudonym.

You said, 'I suppose you'll call it a joke. But that's based on the assumption we can see your family dynamics - we can't.'

So I must ask, based on that assumption, why did you need to get, in my view, personal and write 'You have a lovely way of talking to, and about, your son...'?

To quote your last remark 'To me, it all looks a bit sad.'

I agree.

Roberrrt
22nd Jul 2007, 12:12
Loz,
Welcome !
I thought it was hilarious that that you were able to reveal yourself as Doggsy's dad.
If you werent then your first post would have been a bit off, but the fact is you are, so no problem as far as I can see.
Its not often this situation happens so I'm sure your detractors will eventually see the funny side.
Well, maybe not :D

Rob

Loz
22nd Jul 2007, 13:57
Rob,
Thanks for the welcome, I realise now it could be taken the wrong way, my (weird?) sense of humour has got me in trouble a few times before.
BTW, I don't think Doggsy's even read the posting yet, I've had no threatening phone calls, txt's or emails from him on the subject, YET.. :argue:

colin244
22nd Jul 2007, 16:21
I thought it was hilarious that that you were able to reveal yourself as Doggsy's dad.

So did I! keep posting :thumb:
colin 244

KhunIanB-UK
22nd Jul 2007, 16:34
He's my kid.

What made it funnier to me was when I first read your post I thought,"is it his mum????"

Sorry!

Marcus
22nd Jul 2007, 21:12
So I must ask, based on that assumption, why did you need to get, in my view, personal and write 'You have a lovely way of talking to, and about, your son...'?

I don't want to continue this at all. But, as you have asked, let me address your question.

Suppose someone here on this board were talking to their Thai wife in a thread.

Suppose that they belittled and insulted their wife on a thread here in public.

I'd be very uncomfortable indeed and would consider it sad that someone could do such a thing.

He'd say that it's none of my business and that I don't understand the dynamics of the relationship.

But the fact remains that it looks like someone is being belittled on a public forum by a family member and I really do think that's sad. (Remember, all we have are the words).

In your case you called your son's writing (which I thought was very good) "piffle" and suggested that his partner has a lot to put up with.

How you talk to your son in public is up to you of course. Everyone here is finding it funny. I just can't, that's all.

But I don't want an argument and am only writing this now because you directly asked me a question which I'm trying to answer.

I wish you, your son, and all of your family peace and happiness.

maokaang
22nd Jul 2007, 21:21
Have to disagree Marcus, I read it as nothing more than a bit of light hearted banter between family members. Mind you, I have a weird sense of humour too.

:crazy:

Marcus
23rd Jul 2007, 00:29
Originally posted by maokaang:
Have to disagree Marcus, I read it as nothing more than a bit of light hearted banter between family members.
No problem. I'm quite happy to be wrong. In fact, it's probably better if I am. :thumb:

Loz
23rd Jul 2007, 07:43
Marcus,
I'd rather not continue with this either.
The World would be a poorer place if we all held the same views in life, don't you think?
So let us just agree to differ this time.

'I wish you, your son, and all your family peace and happiness'

Thank you for that sentiment, and if I may, I'd like to pass one on to you.

'May you live long enough for all your dreams to come true'

(A shaking hands smiley would be here but the good people that run this site omitted to put one in the box) :thumb:

maokaang
23rd Jul 2007, 07:56
You could offer Marcus this one:

http://thailand-uk.com/groupee_files/graemlins/cheers.gif

.. but as he doesn't drink, he'd be the one on the right here:

http://thailand-uk.com/groupee_files/graemlins/drunk.gif

.. so you may have to settle for this one (now added to the selection available) :

:shake:

Marcus
23rd Jul 2007, 20:20
Great new smilies, thanks Paul!

And thank you too Loz! Oh, and welcome to the forum!

:shake: :thumb:

Doggsy
25th Jul 2007, 10:17
I am pleased that i didnt read this topic again until it reached a natural conclusion. Looks like I am gonna have to go find a different forum now that my old man has decided to get in on the act.

Or alternativly I will just have to step up my study of Thai so that i can post in thai!

But thanks everybody for initially sticking up for me when LOZ was trying to flame me.

And although he says Mink talks to him that is not techinically true at this moment in time as he did not answer her MSN messenger conversation later so she is punishing him as only a (thai) lady can do by not tlaking to him :-)